new WP8 user, confused on "music & video" vs. XBox Music and XBox Video apps

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, just got a WP8 device on Monday and still trying to figure everything out. Now I see there are new XBox music and a video app. I guess I thought the Music & Video app WAS XBox music since it synced to my Zune/XBox Music account and saw some playlists and some of my music from somewhere (definitely not the old Zune app on my Win7 PC though). Of course I noticed it was impossible to create a playlist in it. Now I see there are new and separate apps today and after checking out the Music one I see it has improved functionality (deleted a playlist and it actually deleted and was able to create one too).

I guess I'm wondering what is the difference between these two sets of apps? Also, I haven't tried to load any of my own mp3's on the device (mostly song credit purchases from Zunepass and some ripped CD's), can either of these apps see those files if I do load them? Or do I need to use a separate music player like the Nokia one to see that stuff?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, well you see...the new Xbox Music app was released today. It will probably eventually replace the built in hub. They both work, just the newer one is music focused

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The "Music + Video" hub and the new Xbox apps purposely duplicate functionality (though, as you've noticed, the new apps generally are more functional than the existing hub). The reason for this lies in the fact that the new apps are "preview" releases; it is expected that when the next version of Windows Phone ships, the existing built-in Music + Videos hub will be removed in favor of the stand-alone applications. Moving from the built-in hub to stand-alone apps makes sense in a lot of ways, as it will enable Microsoft to provide Xbox Music and Xbox Video updates at a significantly faster pace -- the existing hub is only updated when major Windows Phone releases come up, which is -- at best -- twice per year. Until then, however, you'll end up with multiple apps on your phone that essentially all do the same thing.

For me, I'm finding the new apps to be a Godsend as they include certain functionality I had been *desperately* missing; however, they are not perfect -- hence the "preview" status. You may or may not wish to use them instead of the existing Music + Videos hub.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Well, so far the new Music app definitely seems to work for what I need. It can stream via bluetooth to my car's bluetooth connection and handles switching between a phone call and music which is one of the big reasons I wanted to move to WP from Android for my phone needs (yes I know Android now has a Music app too). The latest versions of Android (4.2.x and up) have a nasty problem with the bluetooth radio stack Google moved to in 4.2 that caused big problems making phone calls through my vehicle's bluetooth connection.

I also wanted to not have to carry around my physical Zune device anymore for long road trips. Although I'm undecided between downloading my collection locally or letting it stream to save space for pictures (Lumia 1020). Guess I need to figure out how much data I'd be using monthly for music streaming now that I'm on a 5GB AT&T data plan vs. the unlimited Verizon I just gave up.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The standalone Xbox music app will only work with a Xbox music pass. If you don't have a subscription, it will not be able to start. My assumption is that they will split the local music/video player and the cloud players. The music+video hub will remain for "local" music on your phone and SD card, and you will need Xbox music to stream music using your Xbox music pass.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The standalone Xbox music app will only work with a Xbox music pass. If you don't have a subscription, it will not be able to start. My assumption is that they will split the local music/video player and the cloud players. The music+video hub will remain for "local" music on your phone and SD card, and you will need Xbox music to stream music using your Xbox music pass.

Yep I do have an XBox Music pass complete with the grandfathered in "free" 10 song credits each month. So are you saying the new XBox Music app can only stream and can't see music on the device itself? (other than XBox Music songs set as downloaded) I haven't tried copying anything over from my PC yet since I've read the horror stories about duplicate song names and stuff.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep I do have an XBox Music pass complete with the grandfathered in "free" 10 song credits each month. So are you saying the new XBox Music app can only stream and can't see music on the device itself? (other than XBox Music songs set as downloaded) I haven't tried copying anything over from my PC yet since I've read the horror stories about duplicate song names and stuff.

I don't know, I can not use the Xbox music app since I do not have a Xbox music pass. So I do not know whether the new app allows access to local media.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_206 using Tapatalk

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, you can play songs from your collection, as well as streaming. Second copy from PC isn't as bad as its made out to be, its not gonna blow up your phone but hey, your call

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, I can not use the Xbox music app since I do not have a Xbox music pass. So I do not know whether the new app allows access to local media.

When it says you need a music pass, press the back button on your phone. You didn't hear this from me xD

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally won't be using the Xbox Music app for now, save for maybe the rare occasion I want to listen to a Smart DJ Station. I prefer the Music and Video app right now and have to use the Windows Phone Store to download my music anyway, versus downloading through the app, due to the app not allowing you to download music to the SD card.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So the question here becomes if these apps replace the current, baked-in Music+Video app, how does that go for non-Xbox Music subscribers? The Xbox Music app requires an Xbox Music subscription, which I do not have, which means I cannot use the app. If they take out the built-in music player, what am I to use for local library access?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So the question here becomes if these apps replace the current, baked-in Music+Video app, how does that go for non-Xbox Music subscribers? The Xbox Music app requires an Xbox Music subscription, which I do not have, which means I cannot use the app. If they take out the built-in music player, what am I to use for local library access?
Little tip, hit the back button on your phone and you can use it. ;)

ecr80

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Personally won't be using the Xbox Music app for now, save for maybe the rare occasion I want to listen to a Smart DJ Station. I prefer the Music and Video app right now and have to use the Windows Phone Store to download my music anyway, versus downloading through the app, due to the app not allowing you to download music to the SD card.

I'm hoping Windows Phone 8.1 will allow Xbox Music and Video apps to download to the SD card.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry but if you don't know, why are you choosing to chime in with assumptions and misinterpretations in the first place? As to whether someone can use local media, yes they can. It can see local media and offers the option of downloading music from an Xbox Music cloud collection to the device. There is also an option under settings to not use cellular data.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Overall I am very pleased with the app but I have found one nuisance when using the Bluetooth connection in my Toyota. I need to start the new app first before using the hands free control in the car to switch to play music from my Nokia 928. If I don't, it defaults to the Music and Video hub app. While that still works, the hub app does not recognize playlists in the new app. If I then switch to the new app to use a playlist, everything will play but song titles are not displayed - just says streaming audio on the car display. It is hardly a major issue though, just a nuisance. BTW, one other thing I have noticed about the new app is that selecting random playback is genuinely random. Having a mostly eidetic memory, it did not take much time in the past to recognize that random in the hub was really just a scrambled order but it would repeat the same scrambled order when cycled back to the beginning. Very few people remember things with that level of retained pattern recognition though so that was just a personal pet peeve with the hub.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, just got a WP8 device on Monday and still trying to figure everything out. Now I see there are new XBox music and a video app. I guess I thought the Music & Video app WAS XBox music since it synced to my Zune/XBox Music account and saw some playlists and some of my music from somewhere (definitely not the old Zune app on my Win7 PC though). Of course I noticed it was impossible to create a playlist in it. Now I see there are new and separate apps today and after checking out the Music one I see it has improved functionality (deleted a playlist and it actually deleted and was able to create one too).

I guess I'm wondering what is the difference between these two sets of apps? Also, I haven't tried to load any of my own mp3's on the device (mostly song credit purchases from Zunepass and some ripped CD's), can either of these apps see those files if I do load them? Or do I need to use a separate music player like the Nokia one to see that stuff?

Just an fyi...you can create playlists in th "Music + Video" hub. Just add sings to "now playing" then go to"now playing" then hit "save as playlist".

Sent from my HTC 8x using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb