WiFi booster pro or fake?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
huh.

does WP even allow apps that much access to the system?

even then, i doubt it really does anything, maybe it just throws around some relevant buzzwords and looks nice at least

very skeptical

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing that an app can do to strengthen the signal of your wifi. Neither is there any way for an app to improve the efficiency of wifi - there's no API that would allow that kind of low level access. Additionally, there is no way for it to do anything at all while it is not in the foreground other than play audio (it uses media playback services). This app is a fake and I would suspect that it was up to something, but I have no way of knowing what.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing that an app can do to strengthen the signal of your wifi. Neither is there any way for an app to improve the efficiency of wifi - there's no API that would allow that kind of low level access. Additionally, there is no way for it to do anything at all while it is not in the foreground other than play audio (it uses media playback services). This app is a fake and I would suspect that it was up to something, but I have no way of knowing what.

I say investigate!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree that there is no way this is helping with WiFi. I also agree that the app must be up to no good because it apparently doesn't do anything but going by the permissions, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of damage it could do, right? It seems to only have permissions to the data services, no access to contacts or owner identity. I'm posing this more as a question. I guess what I'm getting at is, are the permissions stated at the apps page on the store accurate? Can a developer "fudge" the stated permissions or are these verified by MS?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree that there is no way this is helping with WiFi. I also agree that the app must be up to no good because it apparently doesn't do anything but going by the permissions, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of damage it could do, right? It seems to only have permissions to the data services, no access to contacts or owner identity. I'm posing this more as a question. I guess what I'm getting at is, are the permissions stated at the apps page on the store accurate? Can a developer "fudge" the stated permissions or are these verified by MS?
Your assessment of the services required matches mine. That's why I don't know what it could be doing that could do much harm. A developer can request more permissions than required but if you use more than you request, the app will fail, but I don't believe it will even work - when you call a permission that isn't requested, it will throw an exception.

He's made plenty more apps, mostly for "making 3G connection better" I'm guessing thats baloney as well
Yeah - there's no way for that to work either.

I say investigate!
I clicked the link to notify Microsoft of a concern, and selected the option for a deceptive app.

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
IDK if this app is fake or real. But I do experience change to my ping but not my download speed and upload speed when I test using speedtest.net app. Before this my ping was 300-400. But now it's 100-200.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

don't be so affirmative, people have their ways with systems.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
The app description says it isn't a WiFi booster, it just clears some settings. This may work, but is probably snake oil.

Also, it got a 2/5 and the user just said "Good" seems fake to me tbh.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a version of antenna booster scam from the 90's but for smartphones.

But I'm sure someone will say the antenna booster worked too.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
He has other great apps such as VEVO (actually stealing the official VEVO app icon and everything.. how is that still in the store?) and The Walking Dead, not to mention the 2G booster and 3G booster apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa