I can not find a good wp8 countdown Timer

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I can not find a good wp8 free countdown Timer

I am looking for a free simple wp8 app that implements at least a countdown Timer and has all the features of wp8 Alarm Clock, i.e., the timer has to work in the background, under the lock screen, with the screen off and when the alarm rings the phone has to wake up and a screen displaying a button like "stop alarm" has to appear.

I have tried various free wp8 Timers but they have drawbacks like keeping the phone screen On all the time or shutting down the countdown process when the phone goes in standby or when the phone gets a call. Other timers, also they work in the background, start to ring without displaying any "stop alarm" button and you have to press the "power on" button, unlock the screen and finally get into the Timer application and press a stop button, which is quite complicated.

I am looking for a timer that can be set and stopped at least as easily as the "Alarm Clock" wp8 has. Do you know such a timer?

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have just installed Cooking Timer but I do not get that screen (despite the fact the application claims it has such a screen) with "snooze" and "dismiss" when the alarm rings.
I have to press the "power" button, unlock the screen and finally get into the Cooking Timer application and press STOP, which is quite complicated. It is not like the wp8 Alarm Clock you can stop with the touch of a button.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
SuperTimer is great. I suggest you "pay for it" and support the "work" of the author/developer.
SuperTimer Free does not have good reviews. I did not try it because of too many complains from users but I will download it and see if what people said is true or not.

blackout2005

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
While there are some apps that are really good on the Store, I seriously think that Microsoft should include some basic tools in their OS.

I must say that I really like the way iOS has been doing that. Their built in Time 'app' includes Alarm clock, World clock, Countdown, Stopwatch. Windows Phone also need a native recording program that allows recording in the background and under lockscreen (yeah the store has some apps with that function already but built-in app is better). Compass and level meter (*cough* iOS).

Let's hope that WP 8.1 will cover these missing aspect and improve the quality of the OS. A smooth user experience is after all what we all want.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Let's hope that WP 8.1 will cover these missing aspect and improve the quality of the OS. A smooth user experience is after all what we all want.
I have a WP 8 Nokia Lumia 520 bought from a big store less than 1 month ago. Do you believe that it will work with WP 8.1 or I have to buy another more powerful smartphone?

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
i use voice butler Voice Butler | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) you press the windows key and say set timer for 10 mins, itll reply and start a timer and run in the background
I installed Voice Butler, selected Timer, set the timer to ring after 2 minutes and waited.
The screen remained "on" all the time despite the fact my phone is set to switch it off after 30 seconds. The alarm rang after 60 seconds but it is self evident I can not keep the screen on for longer intervals like 90 or 120 minutes.

I repeated the experiment, this time getting out of Voice Butler. The screen went off after 30 sec. and finally I got the alarm which I stopped using "dismiss".
In conclusion, it seems this applications does what I want but I have to be careful to quit it after setting the timer, otherwise the screen will not go off.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I am simply using an app called "timer", which works nice in the background.
Timer | Windows Phone Anwendungen + Spiele Store (Deutschland)
"Timer" looks good excepting the fact its precision is measured in minutes not seconds. It runs in the background and can be stopped just pressing the "dismiss" button. In my case I do not need too much precision, +/- 30 seconds, even more, is acceptable.
I have not tried this application till now because I found it in the English section where "Timer" had many bad reviews and I got scared.
Honestly, "Timer" looks much simpler and better than other timers with good reviews.

I suggest an improvement:
When "Timer" starts counting down it display a number with quite small size digits that it decreasing to zero. You need to look at that number to be sure the right Timer has started. Larger size digits would be better.

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
"Timer" looks good excepting the fact its precision is measured in minutes not seconds. It runs in the background and can be stopped just pressing the "dismiss" button. In my case I do not need too much precision, +/- 30 seconds, even more, is acceptable.
I have not tried this application till now because I found it in the English section where "Timer" had many bad reviews and I got scared.
Honestly, "Timer" looks much simpler and better than other timers with good reviews.

I suggest an improvement:
When "Timer" starts counting down it display a number with quite small size digits that it decreasing to zero. You need to look at that number to be sure the right Timer has started. Larger size digits would be better.

Yeah, the inaccuracy off the app is what causes the lower ratings in the store, its a limitation of the WP8 os, apparently apps can only fire an appointment/alarm to a full minute. For me. That's accurate enough.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I use STOP N' GO - STOP N' GO | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) Because animations and design overall are incredible.
I have tested it at your suggestion. It looks to be a good timer that works in the background and has a nice nonstandard way to set the counter. However, working with those circle arcs is not easier than setting the timer using the sliding bars with hours, minutes and seconds. If one only needs an alarm after 1, 5, 10 , 30, 60 minutes then yes, STOP N' GO can be set more quickly than a standard timer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)