How can we help tackling fake apps out of app store?

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Friends,
Fake apps are posing a threat to the reliability of app store and security of fellow Windows Phone users. Many of these apps have five-star ratings and luring names. Many would have reported such apps already, but reports are either being overlooked or still insufficient in numbers. What do you think WPCentral community can contribute towards identifying and removing such apps from the store?

Last edited:

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have contributed by reporting fake Firefox and Opera apps but they are still there. Problem is too few people care.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes - do both things that Laura suggests. Every app in the store has a link to report a problem to Microsoft. But Microsoft has not taken on the role of enforcing the intellectual property of others. They will not remove infringing apps unless they receive notice from the owner of the IP. So contacting the owner of the IP (Mozilla in the case of Firefox, as stated above) will alert the owner of the IP, who may (or may not) choose to contact Microsoft and/or the app developer. Contacting Microsoft may not get an immediate action, but it will alert them that there is a problem, and if there are enough complaints, who knows?

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Its also pretty stupid that it seems fine for multiple people to upload different apps with exact same name.."Facebook" example. That must also be sorted. I report every app I find

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It would be good to have a thread with fake apps, so the original devs and MS too could check and remove them eventually.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes - do both things that Laura suggests. Every app in the store has a link to report a problem to Microsoft. But Microsoft has not taken on the role of enforcing the intellectual property of others. They will not remove infringing apps unless they receive notice from the owner of the IP. So contacting the owner of the IP (Mozilla in the case of Firefox, as stated above) will alert the owner of the IP, who may (or may not) choose to contact Microsoft and/or the app developer. Contacting Microsoft may not get an immediate action, but it will alert them that there is a problem, and if there are enough complaints, who knows?
I did report a fake Firefox app last year, and it was pulled from the Store. While I was at it now, I just reported 3 more fake Firefox apps (to Mozilla and Microsoft), and I reported a fake Chrome app (to Google and Microsoft).

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree, but I thought that facebook had flexed their muscle and fixed this (I haven't searched it, so I don't know).
Facebook demanding 3rd party apps be removed from the Windows Phone Store over trademark claim | Windows Phone Central

Yeah I seem to remember this. Wouldn't it be better to block a user from uploading an app with the same name? I just searched "Facebook" to count ..i lost track! There is too many! And I'm not even talking about names like facebookHD etc.. :/
Edit: counted to 13

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Done. Anyone who knows where to report Opera fakes?

I took a brief look at their website and it doesn't look like they have a contact email, so I'd go for the forums. My Opera - Forums Find the forum that looks most appropriate, I'd say either general or mobile, and put up a post. After you post it, check to see if there is a report this post link, and click it yourself to alert moderators, to be sure they see it. That's what I'd do.

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Friends,
I am expecting some discussion on mechanisms which can assist in the process of removal of such apps.
I think WPCentral must have some members who actually work for Microsoft!

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Its also pretty stupid that it seems fine for multiple people to upload different apps with exact same name.."Facebook" example. That must also be sorted. I report every app I find

Yeah I seem to remember this. Wouldn't it be better to block a user from uploading an app with the same name? I just searched "Facebook" to count ..i lost track! There is too many! And I'm not even talking about names like facebookHD etc.. :/
Edit: counted to 13

I noticed this a year ago and it's a serious problem.

These apps with the exact same name, and even exact same icon sometimes, just a different publisher are inflating the store numbers.

This is a real issue that needs to be corrected. Especially the fake apps like Chrome that is charging people money.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but the problem is that I don't necessarily think that Microsoft should be the police agency to enforce IP rights. Just one example of why is take an app that isn't developed by the IP owner, but the developer may have approached the IP owner and worked with them on development, and has permission to use the IP involved. Microsoft isn't a party to that agreement, and really shouldn't be, since they are just the proprietor of the store where the goods are being sold. That puts the burden of enforcing IP rights on the owner of the IP. Yes, that's a daunting task, and I wouldn't want to have to monitor all of the possible outlets where rights can be infringed, but with the help of people like us in the community, those IP owners can be notified of possible violations, and they can choose whether to send a C&D or not.

Just an example using one of my own apps:
I've created an app called PlusPoints. It is a twist on Weight Watchers' PointsPlus program for counting food points. I have been careful not to use their trademarked PointsPlus name, the Weight Watchers name, or their logo. I think I mention that it follows the Weight Watchers PointsPlus guidelines, but I'm not claiming to be them. I use their formula, to the best that I was able to reverse engineer it, and it seems to be accurate with all the testing I've done, but that's ok, too - courts have determined that mathematical formulae cannot be copyrighted or trademarked.

If Microsoft were in the business of enforcing IP rights that they don't own, would they block my app? I don't know, though I suspect it would depend on how new the guy was who was sitting in the chair at the time my app was reviewed.

BTW, I have never received any C&D from WW. The only action they have taken is to block me on Twitter. Oh - and my app has been in the store for almost three years now, and has 4+ star ratings while theirs has 2, and if you search Weight Watchers in the store, my app comes up third, while theirs comes up fourth. :grin:

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree, but the problem is that I don't necessarily think that Microsoft should be the police agency to enforce IP rights. Just one example of why is take an app that isn't developed by the IP owner, but the developer may have approached the IP owner and worked with them on development, and has permission to use the IP involved. Microsoft isn't a party to that agreement, and really shouldn't be, since they are just the proprietor of the store where the goods are being sold. That puts the burden of enforcing IP rights on the owner of the IP. Yes, that's a daunting task, and I wouldn't want to have to monitor all of the possible outlets where rights can be infringed, but with the help of people like us in the community, those IP owners can be notified of possible violations, and they can choose whether to send a C&D or not.

Just an example using one of my own apps:
I've created an app called PlusPoints. It is a twist on Weight Watchers' PointsPlus program for counting food points. I have been careful not to use their trademarked PointsPlus name, the Weight Watchers name, or their logo. I think I mention that it follows the Weight Watchers PointsPlus guidelines, but I'm not claiming to be them. I use their formula, to the best that I was able to reverse engineer it, and it seems to be accurate with all the testing I've done, but that's ok, too - courts have determined that mathematical formulae cannot be copyrighted or trademarked.

If Microsoft were in the business of enforcing IP rights that they don't own, would they block my app? I don't know, though I suspect it would depend on how new the guy was who was sitting in the chair at the time my app was reviewed.

BTW, I have never received any C&D from WW. The only action they have taken is to block me on Twitter. Oh - and my app has been in the store for almost three years now, and has 4+ star ratings while theirs has 2, and if you search Weight Watchers in the store, my app comes up third, while theirs comes up fourth. :grin:

Haha:) well for starters add a block like "oops! The name of the app you are trying to upload is for the moment already in use. Contact developer of app: yes / no"
I dunno

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, i don't use a lot of apps. Are you saying that unlike apple or google, basically there is no testing\policing of apps in our app store?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786