Endomondo vs Runtastic

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello Windows Phone community!

I've been having this internal struggle as to which of these apps is better for a user of the Windows platform and thought you all could help me decide.
5eff69b4-2897-4780-afca-be5214280617.png77f4e882-a95c-403d-a4b0-a0f71f4a0472.png

I've actually been using Endomondo for about 6 months now and found it just fine, this is just an attempt to see if the other alternatives are better.

Here's what I've found so far:

Endomondo
  • Easy, straightforward interface that doesn't prompt you to go Premium pretty much ever, which I've heard it's a problem with Runtastic PRO.
  • Endomondo has constant challenges with great sponsors and great prizes, which gives it validity as a platform.
  • Endomondo actually has a Windows 8 client, which is pretty much a viewer to compliment the Windows Phone app which in my mind shows interest in the Windows platform and it's very convenient for checking your progress in your PC.
  • It's also natively compatible with Fitbit which to me personally is a huge plus
  • On the bad side, the app for WP has a few things that need to improve like the way audio stops every time the audio coach kicks in. (It doesn't just pause, it stops altogether).
  • It's not updated often and the app lacks support for all parts of the Premium tier.

Runtastic PRO
  • Beautiful interface and live tile.
  • Challenges and prizes although more complicated than the ones in Endomondo.
  • Packed with features some of which aren't even available in the Android platform, showing commitment to the Windws platform.
  • Shows heart rate and allows you to take pictures and has real time tracking for your friends to encourage you in real time in the Pro version, a feature lacking in Endomondo.
  • Compatible with many accessories and monitors of sorts. (Not natively compatible with Fitbit although you can make it happen by bypassing it through MyFitnessPal).
  • On the bad side the service will try at all cost to make you get the Premium tier.
  • The service seems overly intangled with Google services, which I'm personally not fond of.
  • No Windows 8 client wich means you will need to go to the website for detailed information.

Those are my observations, which BTW, could be wrong specially for Runtastic, which I've not used extensively, I'm going mostly by what I've read.

So, now please share your opinions and help us fitness enthusiast decide once and for all which will be better in the Windows ecosystem. I'm considering switching myself and that's the reason this post exists.

What do you think? Endomondo? Runtastic? Use both and just mix and match? Sound off in the comments down below and have a great day!

-SERGIO

MJThib

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't used Endomondo in a while and the last time was probably on Android. I've been using Runtastic for a while now across platforms and have not been disappointed. All though there are features on Android that I wish were in the Windows Phone version.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't used Endomondo in a while and the last time was probably on Android. I've been using Runtastic for a while now across platforms and have not been disappointed. All though there are features on Android that I wish were in the Windows Phone version.

Good to hear. What features? I really love the training feature which is only for iOS and WP, surprisingly.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the verge of switching. Or maybe use both. What would you say is you favorite feature of Runtastic?

Probably music and voice notification integration. I can use either my own playlists or Nokia Music and adjust the voice feedback, volume, interval, etcetera. It just works seamlessly.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Probably music and voice notification integration. I can use either my own playlists or Nokia Music and adjust the voice feedback, volume, interval, etcetera. It just works seamlessly.

Yes, that's actually what I feel like Endomondo really doesn't do well. Anyhow, Runtastic Pro is on sale for $0.99 so I guess that's a sign that I should definitely try it. ;)

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I use runtastic pro on my 920 and love it. After black update, im considering getting myself a HRM.
Any idea, which HRM would support 920 and Runtastic Pro. Would the Polar H7 support it? I'm considering getting this one.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I use runtastic pro on my 920 and love it. After black update, im considering getting myself a HRM.
Any idea, which HRM would support 920 and Runtastic Pro. Would the Polar H7 support it? I'm considering getting this one.

You know what? I actually don't have an HRM yet, although I have the feeling that purchase will happen near.
What I'd say is that within the app, where you set up the HRM there are examples of the supported ones from Runtastic themselves, or you could always ask them on Twitter (@runtastic). They have replied to me every time.
Good luck and make sure to let is know if you end up getting one. :)

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's the reply from runtastic. I asked them whether the Polar H7 HRM (which is the most popular HRM) would work with runtastic pro on Lumia 920 with black firmware:
runreply.JPG

How to find out if adidas micoach / endomondo will work with this Polar H7 HRM?
Since Polar H7 is the most widely used HRM, I really wish to buy this HRM

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Never used Runtastic, I've been using Endomondo since WP7. When Adidas miCoach came along I switched and haven't looked back. The main problem for Endomondo for me was that whenever it would update me on my run my phone would stop playing my podcast. This just meant I switched off audio notifications. Also I found the GPS wasn't always great (especially on HTC HD7, it was better on Lumia 920). With Adidas you get integration with Nokia Maps (awesome when travelling since you don't have to be online) and Nokia MixRadio, as well as my podcasts don't get stopped abruptly every time I pass 1 km. For Nokia users I'd say Adidas is definitely the way to go. Also you get free training programs which you'd have to pay for on Endomondo.

The only reason I don't like switching is that my stats are now scattered over two systems and I see no easy way to connect the two. Other than that, I don't regret switching at all.

How to find out if adidas micoach / endomondo will work with this Polar H7 HRM?
Maybe hit them up on twitter as well? :)

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
@Joene90
Can you please do me a favour.
If you own an Adidas miCoach HRM, can you please test if it works with endomondo and with runtastic / runtastic pro?
If it does work, i'll directly get the miCoach HRM, instead of buying the polar h7.

I've tweeted to adidas_micoach and asked them whether polar h7 would work with their app. Have got no reply as of yet.
Thank You

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
@Joene90
Can you please do me a favour.
If you own an Adidas miCoach HRM, can you please test if it works with endomondo and with runtastic / runtastic pro?
If it does work, i'll directly get the miCoach HRM, instead of buying the polar h7.

I've tweeted to adidas_micoach and asked them whether polar h7 would work with their app. Have got no reply as of yet.
Thank You
Sorry, I don't have a HRM.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
OK, I got it confirmed that Adidas miCoach HRM 2 works with Runtastic Pro but not with Endomondo.

Since the reviews of Polar H7 seem to be better and that it works with Runtastic Pro and miCoach, I've decided to get the Polar H7 rather than the miCoach HRM2

Will keep you guys posted once I get it. Need to ask my uncle from US to send me one, as no one sells this Polar H7 here in India

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
OK, I got it confirmed that Adidas miCoach HRM 2 works with Runtastic Pro but not with Endomondo.

Since the reviews of Polar H7 seem to be better and that it works with Runtastic Pro and miCoach, I've decided to get the Polar H7 rather than the miCoach HRM2

Will keep you guys posted once I get it. Need to ask my uncle from US to send me one, as no one sells this Polar H7 here in India

Great! Please do. I'm glad you got the answer you wanted and you got to buy the HRM you clearly prefered.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I can't figure out how to setup a run in runstastic pro for a certain distance.

Yeah. No, as far as I know Runtastic doesn't actually let you set distance foals within the app. Maybe of you use the route planning feature, but you would have to do that from the website and I'm still not sure it would work. Runtastic is more focused on intensity training.

Emdomondo on the other hand is really good for what you're saying. They focus more on distance.

Hope I helped. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb