Folders - caused excessive reboots on my L920

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got the Folders app that was recently made available an installed it on my Lumia 920. I got it installed and figured I could work with it. I set up a folder to group about 6 camera apps I had on my phone together and did the same for a few GPS apps I had installed. So Saturday night, I went to the Cosmopolitan in Vegas for dinner at this place called the Wicket Spoon. Nice spot if you've never been. Anyway, out comes the Lumia 920 to snap some pics of my wife and son. I go to look the pics I snapped and my phone went black. Then I saw the Nokia logo. I said, seriously?? We walked on. Later I snapped a few pics and when I went to view them, same thing happened. Last thing I installed was Folders. Uninstalled. Random reboots stopped. Did you install Folders and get a reboot problem?

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
oh...i got a random reboot as well. you may be right. I was pretty shocked to see my phone reboot (just like old times with Android :) ). I've had this phone for over a year and this is the first time it had crashed and rebooted.

Fallakin

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Been dealing with random reboots the past few days, trying to whittle down what it may be.

Testing removing this now and monitoring. Will update later.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me actually. I actually don't have any folders pinned, so I'm not sure if it is folders causing my phone to do this, but I took some pictures, went to post it, then my phone rebooted, and pictures deleted. They did save to Skydrive though.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
oh...i got a random reboot as well. you may be right. I was pretty shocked to see my phone reboot (just like old times with Android :) ). I've had this phone for over a year and this is the first time it had crashed and rebooted.

I have very few issues with my Lumia 920, especially in an app that would cause it to reset itself. This is the second app I know of that does cause my Lumia 920 grief. The other is Amazing Weather, the live tile killer. Soon as I uninstalled it, all live tile functionality returned.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Start screen folders, as implemented here, are one of the most idiotic and useless features I've seen on WP. They break live tile functionality, so they are completely at odds with how the metro UI is intended to function... that is ugly, not to mention that using them is painfully slow. I too noticed reboots before uninstalling it shortly afterwards. IMHO start screen folders are one of those solutions people are familiar with from iOS and Android, which translates terribly to WP. Some grouping functionality would be helpful, but people lack the creativity to come up with a solution better suited to WP. Hope Nokia comes to their senses and drops this feature. Surely MS can come up with something better.

Windowlino

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree: it is painful slow. But I don't see why this app breaks the live tile functionality. Small tiles often don't have any live content, so there is nothing against putting them "away". I'd like to see some kind if grouping feature in the all apps list. This would be great and indeed better than this solution.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But I don't see why this app breaks the live tile functionality. Small tiles often don't have any live content.

It is all about consistency. Sure, placing a small/dead tile into a folder seems unproblematic. You understand the ramifications and consequences, so you know when that makes sense, just like anyone else here at WPC. Many others will not. For them, this makes it far too easy to degrade the WP experience, of which live tiles are a central component. But don't think you'll be completely unaffected. This feature offers enough oppertunities for experienced users to trip themselves up as well... e.g. imagine what happens when an app update adds counter functionality to its small tile, making it a live tile. How many thousands of people will completely miss that, because they have the tile in a folder? You ALWAYS get inconsistent and inelegant behaviour like this, when adding features in a way that goes against the basic principles of how WP is intended to function. By itself, it is just one small inconsistency... do this enough times, and people will start calling your OS messy... that is where WP is currently headed. It is what I hope MS and Nokia working more closely together will help turn around.

Fallakin

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't a fan of it myself. It looked clunky and out of place.

Besides, most of my tiles are already grouped by type of service... which basically makes 'App Folders' useless.

Clodderes

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have very few issues with my Lumia 920, especially in an app that would cause it to reset itself. This is the second app I know of that does cause my Lumia 920 grief. The other is Amazing Weather, the live tile killer. Soon as I uninstalled it, all live tile functionality returned.
I've experience broken live tile before. but not expecting it from Amazing weather. next time I experience it again i will try to remove the app

Jonah Travisano

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
My 920 never rebooked before I installed the Folders app...I took the app off my phone and the problem seems to have gone away. I like to try new ideas and so I thought I would give a try ,but honestly I think I wouldn't have had it on my phone for very long even without the random rebooks.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've experience broken live tile before. but not expecting it from Amazing weather. next time I experience it again i will try to remove the app
I didn't want to uninstall Amazing Weather. I figured, maybe because I was using the free version and bought it. Didn't make any difference. Live tiles never updated with that app installed. Not even Amazing Weather would update. Uninstalled it. All good again.

App Folders makes your phone feel like android with this reboot stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077