How to switch the screen off without pressing the power button?

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Is there an WP8 application, a virtual button, that once touched, switches off the screen of the phone and also does all the things the power button does when you press it with the intention to put back the phone in the pocket?

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Is there an WP8 application, a virtual button, that once touched, switches off the screen of the phone and also does all the things the power button does when you press it with the intention to put back the phone in the pocket?

Is your phone's lock button broken?

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
aha I was about to say the same thing.

To the OP, why not just change your timeout to 30sec?

This would be the best option, as the little Binging I just did on this subject has told me there's no way for a developer to make an app that locks the screen, which I presume is due to that being a private API feature.

Last edited:

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
System Tiles has a shortcut that can do what you're asking - System Tiles | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

That's not what he's trying to do. He wants to be able to open an app and hit a button that immediately locks the screen, from what I understand. All the lock screen button in that app does is open the lock screen settings. What he wants to do can be compared perhaps to the Assistive Touch mode on an iPhone or the several knock-off versions on Android.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I also need two tiles that can display the status "on/off" of the Wi-Fi connection and the GPS receiver.
With a single press of a tile, without being sent to the page where the Wi-Fi transceiver and GPS receiver can be started or stopped, I want to be able to switch on and off the GPS and Wi-Fi. Do you know such tiles?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I also need two tiles that can display the status "on/off" of the Wi-Fi connection and the GPS receiver.
With a single press of a tile, without being sent to the screen where the Wi-Fi transceiver and GPS receiver can be started or stopped, I want to be able to switch on and off the GPS and Wi-Fi. Do you know such tiles?

I don't thing there is such app. Why don't you use shortcut apps for this? You can see the status at the top of screen (where time is shown) just swipe down there

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't thing there is such app. Why don't you use shortcut apps for this? You can see the status at the top of screen (where time is shown) just swipe down there
I use shortcut tiles but they send me to the configuration page of Wi-Fi and GPS where I have to switch the two on or off and get out of there. It is already three buttons touched. What I want is to just press a single tile (one for the Wi-Fi, one for GPS), on the main page of the phone, and switch Wi-Fi and GPS on and off.

I want the two tiles to display the status on and off to have the immediate confirmation Wi-Fi or GPS are active or inactive.
Swiping down at the top of the screen to see the status is like pressing a different button (and I have to do it frequently because I switch the GPS and Wi-Fi often). Also the signal can be weak, just one point, which means the on status for Wi-Fi rely in that small spot I can easily miss despite the fact it is there. Sometimes I swipe down and I do not swipe well and the phone believe I did not swipe. Also the off status for Wi-Fi is quite dimmed, it is not easily visible.
As regarding the GPS status, I do not see it together with the status of Wi-Fi.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It's rumoured that system toggle shortcuts (which actually toggle the status of wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc) will be coming in the 8.1 update. But at this time it didn't possible to do that.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I use shortcut tiles but they send me to the configuration page of Wi-Fi and GPS where I have to switch the two on or off and get out of there. It is already three buttons touched. What I want is to just press a single tile (one for the Wi-Fi, one for GPS), on the main page of the phone, and switch Wi-Fi and GPS on and off.

I want the two tiles to display the status on and off to have the immediate confirmation Wi-Fi or GPS are active or inactive.
Swiping down at the top of the screen to see the status is like pressing a different button (and I have to do it frequently because I switch the GPS and Wi-Fi often). Also the signal can be weak, just one point, which means the on status for Wi-Fi rely in that small spot I can easily miss despite the fact it is there. Sometimes I swipe down and I do not swipe well and the phone believe I did not swipe. Also the off status for Wi-Fi is quite dimmed, it is not easily visible.
As regarding the GPS status, I do not see it together with the status of Wi-Fi.

From what I remember when searching for such things was that first it's not possible. Second, the shortcut apps that are out there that display wifi status on the tile have disclaimers that say it's not always true in real time based on how often the tile is allowed to update. Last, not that it is that much different (or maybe it is and that's why you have problems sometimes), you don't need to swipe down for that information on the top, a simple tap will do it.

Nevin Alex Chacko

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

yes! download baby dragons lock screen app!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs