BBM isn't coming to WP after all

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Better than the BBM in BB10?Which one exactly? Not a Blackberry fan at all btw, have to admit it`s superior than any of the others, they just need to get all those features available on the iOS and android versions too.

Agreed. BB10s BBM is much better than the iOS/android version. I know BBM Voice is being launched in a couple of weeks, and I think BBM Channels too. But they really need to get BBM Video and Screen share off to non-BlackBerry users asap.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that this has to do more with MS being more of a direct competitor to BB in the enterprise market. MS has stated that is it gunning now for more of the mobile enterprise market where BB has been the strongest and sees its future - They are direct competitors now. Still think it will eventually come. BB's path forward is as a software provider.

SubCamp

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It's funny to see everyone here hating on BlackBerry.. Everyone must admit that BlackBerry and WP are battling for 3rd place, as iOS and Android have the number 1 and 2 spot.. So why would BlackBerry give their 'direct' competitor an exclusive app?

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry's os10 is a failed experiment, just like zetsu from the manga Naruto. Refer: chapter 661. :p

Send via Lumia 625 GDR3, Developers Unlocked.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Did you finish your trolling at Crackberry? hope you feel good now, I'm glad your back to your bubble

what are you talking about?? I'm on all forums. I own all devices from all OSes. If you come here what makes you think you're any better. I can say my opinion if any company doesn't do a good business move. and BB is DEFINATELY one of them.

EDIT: Wow just shocked that the Crackberry people are spreading all over Mobile Nations. to troll other sites. from what I saw from other Mobile Nations sites.... just dumb.

Last edited:

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Btw, BBM on iOS has totally failed. We have more than a single app to use and all of them much better than it. Nothing special about it anymore.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I put this in the Crackberry thread about BBM on WP, but I'll repost it here.

Last month, the place where I work was deciding on what IM app to use since it was easier than emailing and our IT guys aren't really fond of excessive emailing (they're kind of anal about it actually). We were going through the options at a meeting where all of us attended and someone in our group suggested BBM (side note: I've seen at least 5 Windows Phones in the wild, yet this guy was the only person I know who has a BB10 device. I'm sorry if that doesn't line up with what you see, but I have seen 1 total), which is when everyone was like "oh, yeah, that's on all of the phones now" and everyone was feeling a little nostalgic until I pointed out that myself and one of the managers had Windows Phones (I have a 1520 and he has a 920) and that BB doesn't have an app for WP. Do you know what happened? Did they tell us to get new phones? did they offer to buy us cheap androids? nope. What happened was that we canned the idea of using BBM. One girl even made the exact quote: "dumb Blackberry, I thought they were suppose to be a billion dollar company, I didn't realize they're that poor". In the end we decided to use WhatsApp and BBM lost about 20 potential new active members.

See, here's the gist... Yes, Windows Phone only has an 8% market share worldwide, but do you know what that means? That means that unless someone has very few friends, that they all know at least one person who has a Windows Phone. Now I know that a lot of people here claim that they've never seen a Windows Phone ever, but they usually then go on to say that WP is DOA and they know at least 20 friends with BB10 devices, so those comments can be thrown right out.** I'm trailing off again, but this basically means that if people want to use a cross-platform messaging app, that they can't use BBM because one or two of their friends don't have it.

Now it's simple to say "oh, well, then they'll leave WP, because it $ucks M$ herp derp"** but come one now.... People will change IM services before they change OSes, because guess what? Most people don't care what they use, as long as it works. Is BBM great? yes, but is it so great that it's worth learning a whole new OS (even if it takes minimal time) and repurchasing apps? no. It's the same thing as my company. Most people didn't care to use WhatsApp and since then I've never heard a single complaint. They even WANTED to use BBM, but since it wasn't cross-platform, they couldn't (and they even got mad at BB for it, so double-lose there). I completely understand the reasoning behind it, but they need to get BBM to WP pronto, even if it's only half-baked in features.

** yes, they were actually writing stuff like that

SubCamp

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Last month, the place where I work was deciding on what IM app to use since it was easier than emailing and our IT guys aren't really fond of excessive emailing (they're kind of anal about it actually). We were going through the options at a meeting where all of us attended and someone in our group suggested BBM (side note: I've seen at least 5 Windows Phones in the wild, yet this guy was the only person I know who has a BB10 device. I'm sorry if that doesn't line up with what you see, but I have seen 1 total), which is when everyone was like "oh, yeah, that's on all of the phones now" and everyone was feeling a little nostalgic until I pointed out that myself and one of the managers had Windows Phones (I have a 1520 and he has a 920) and that BB doesn't have an app for WP. Do you know what happened? Did they tell us to get new phones? did they offer to buy us cheap androids? nope. What happened was that we canned the idea of using BBM. One girl even made the exact quote: "dumb Blackberry, I thought they were suppose to be a billion dollar company, I didn't realize they're that poor". In the end we decided to use WhatsApp and BBM lost about 20 potential new active members.

See, here's the gist... Yes, Windows Phone only has an 8% market share worldwide, but do you know what that means? That means that unless someone has very few friends, that they all know at least one person who has a Windows Phone. Now I know that a lot of people here claim that they've never seen a Windows Phone ever, but they usually then go on to say that WP is DOA and they know at least 20 friends with BB10 devices, so those comments can be thrown right out.** I'm trailing off again, but this basically means that if people want to use a cross-platform messaging app, that they can't use BBM because one or two of their friends don't have it.

Now it's simple to say "oh, well, then they'll leave WP, because it $ucks M$ herp derp"** but come one now.... People will change IM services before they change OSes, because guess what? Most people don't care what they use, as long as it works. Is BBM great? yes, but is it so great that it's worth learning a whole new OS (even if it takes minimal time) and repurchasing apps? no. It's the same thing as my company. Most people didn't care to use WhatsApp and since then I've never heard a single complaint. They even WANTED to use BBM, but since it wasn't cross-platform, they couldn't (and they even got mad at BB for it, so double-lose there). I completely understand the reasoning behind it, but they need to get BBM to WP pronto, even if it's only half-baked in features.

So which messaging app did your company decide to use?

SubCamp

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
opinions aside, the FACTS are that Windows Phone has roughly 6% market share worldwide while BB has 1% and 1/4 of that 1% are BB10.

Sure, let's look at the facts.. WP8 was released on October 29th, 2012. BB10 released on January 30th, 2013
WP8 amount of apps: 128,933 (November 24th, 2013) BB10 amount of apps: 130,000 (Sept. 27, 2013)
Number of WP8 devices: 22 (List of Windows Phone 8 devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Number of BB10 devices: 4

So WP8 has been around longer and is offered on more devices, market share isn't an equal comparison

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
It's funny to see everyone here hating on BlackBerry.. Everyone must admit that BlackBerry and WP are battling for 3rd place, as iOS and Android have the number 1 and 2 spot.. So why would BlackBerry give their 'direct' competitor an exclusive app?

Who has more to lose in this specific situation, MSFT or BBRY?

I think that BBRY has/has more to gain by making BB10 as cross-platform as possible.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I'll post my response here from XB as well:

Hopefully they will be able to get it on WP sooner rather than later. I can tell you that an App like WhatsApp violates Canadian privacy laws because it exports your contact list to a foreign server. Another major issue is that with Whatsapp, your conversations are not being recorded by your IT. This a huge risk to the company from a liability perspective. Think about rogue employees passing off information or even worse client data.

I work for a bank. When BES10.0 was launched, BBM could not be monitored or collected. That alone delayed the launch of BB10 with my bank.

Now if you work for a small company, then that's fine. But for a large company where lawyers are just waiting to sue you, you better make sure that the decision to use Whatsapp doesn't violate privacy laws of your country, and that your employees do not disclose clients names or data with messages.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
BES10 supports non-blackberry devices too such as iPhone and Android, and I assume WP. Some people will still want to use BB10, difference is that they competition now. As an example, my bank and another bank (my biggest competitor) BYOD policy is such that BB10 will be the phone most will go with. Their definition of BYOD is bring your personal phone to work...But we aren't paying for it at all, no support, and if you are fired, we remotely wipe the entire device including personal content. Hence everyone at my bank going BB10.

Now, I live in Canada, so I know BYOD policies in the US are much better.

Im aware that BES supports non blackberry devices. I work for a small enterprise that was a blackberry shop. We have BES in our office now, but we are going byod and there are better mdm solutions that are cheaper. And who's long term support is less shaky looking that RIM. Since IT would already need to upgrade to BES 10, I think a lot will be looking at other alternatives.

Tony_Tone

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh boy this conversation about app numbers is painful. It's like two last place teams fighting over which one sucks less. Both BB10 and WP10 sucks in the native app department. I think we can all agree upon that. We like BB10 and WP8 because their are other aspects of the device we like and value more over apps. On the plus side, both have good HTML5 browsers according to html5test.com, MS has deep pockets to buy developers if they choose so, and BlackBerry has the Jellybean runtime to run android apps. MS has a better shot at expanding native apps over BlackBerry for sure. Developers have no motivation because they an just port an android app (Eg: skype) over, or 10.2.1 users can just install the various Android markets to get the missing apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05