VSCO considering making the VSCO Cam app for Windows Phone

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did I call it? No. Just asked what is so special about it as we already have ton's of good photo editing apps with filters.

It's a company that offers professional-grade filters for professional photographers (Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture plugins), that happens to have made a mobile app that is much beloved by serious amateurs and professional photographers alike.

It's like saying what's so special about Instagram, we have tons of good photo sharing apps.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
in very simple layman terms => VSCO = Makes Digital Pictures into Film Like photographs

yes, they have many unique filters, but what makes them stands out, is that they (least if you use the desktop computer version), they are able to make your digital pics look "film" like...but without too much noise, grain ...etc (or option to adjust)

it is a little trick MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS (PRO) use but they WILL NEVER ADMIT - (to the extent, they hide the EXIF data)

it is really a UNDERGROUND OPEN SECRET

Personally, I really really want VSCO to come to WP and I am 99% sure that they will charge us for their in house filters ( they are DEFINITELY not from NOKIA). that will be too MAIN STREAM
Yes, I will pay for this VSCO app cos these "filters" are never ending ... you need good programmers to keep improving and updating ...

Cheers!

Fhotoroom

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
hey everyone, I just saw this post mention fhotoroom to please let add a very things here. VSCO is a very film app and let me present to why it has taken me to address these limitation in fhotoroom.

I would like for everyone to know that I am presently working on v11 of fhotoroom that will bring all of the stuff you wanted here. So let me give insight into some obstacles I had that I am addressing in this update and please feel give feedback you know I listen.

fhotoroom already had a very large collection of filters that are very popular in the community (remove one and I get A LOT of emails) but to add a good selection of film style effects I needed to change the whole editing filters selection layout. To do this I have now grouped filters into similar concepts as VSCO and Hipstamatic has. In addition to this I have added a Store when you will be able to add and remove the filters you want making the UI cleaner and more personal to your photography editing style. So it has never been a lack of ability for fhotoroom to create anything in VSCO cam (film style filters) which we have a small subset of already.

Here are some filters in fhotoroom today that produce film style results with VSCO comparative filters.

- Vibe - C1
- Musk - M3
- LowDef - B1
- Portrait - P5
- Fade - Fade
- Faint - F2

The way the app will be grouped is by these new categories

- L{number} - Lomo Style Filters
- F{number} - Film Style Filters
- C{number} - Color Style Filters
- B{number} - Black and White Filters
- D{number} - Duotone Style Filters
- A{number} - Aura Style Filters

So this is just a small insight of how big the changes in v11 will be, and there are a lot more in the editing and frames category ;)
Please let me know your favorite VSCO filters and I will do my best to make sure I bring them over for the initial release.

Let me also add there is a post in the forum that shows you in 4 step how to be able to produce the VSCO style, remember VSCO is not the first company to make film style filters. These have been done on desktop app for more than a decade but with camera's on phone being so lowdef Lomo effect were very popular. Today we have incredible camera like the 1020 that justify bring film style effect to the forefront of mobile editing.

mdmk

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, we got developers who either don't understand photography, or don't understand the need of filter for photography. And then we also have developers who don't really have the eye for good photography, and then generalize the filters and claim their filter can just as good.

The platform can never improve if we set ourselves such a low standard. Instead of being ****-hurt whenever Windows Phone is being criticized for lacking certain app, why not really sit down and investigate and really make filters just as good as the ones from VSCO?

Fhotoroom

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well that seems quite heavy handed and very critical considering I get users from Android and iOS always requesting for us to please develop an app. My first iOS was released just over a month ago and has had thousands of downloads with +4star rating and i assure you we will displace anything VSCO cam offers. Over the last 2 months i have worked with REAL professional photographers who also write books on this topic to help give feedback on their workflow and tools fhotoroom maybe missing. Fhotoroom v11 tries to bring all of our feedback to life.

Fhotoroom v11 has just gotten approved yesterday. Here is the short list of updates in v11, i hope you like it :)

- Major UX/UI Changes
- +40 New Icons throughout the app.
- Live Preview of filters in presets.
- Filters are now grouped into categories.
- New fhotoroom store with new free/paid filters.
- Light Leaks supports flip horizontally or vertically.
- Textures supports flip horizontally or vertically.
- Updated Color Corrections, replaced Clarity with Tint fine tuned balance.
- Updated Sharpen for Blur and Clarity Sharpening.
- New Highlights and Shadows Filter.
- New HQ Grundge Frames.
- Updated TiltShift filter for better quality results.
- Camera Tap to Focus in landscape fixed.
- New Undo/Redo support.
- New Splash screen.
- Dozens of minor bug fixes and tweaks.

Boris Alexandrov

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well that seems quite heavy handed and very critical considering I get users from Android and iOS always requesting for us to please develop an app. My first iOS was released just over a month ago and has had thousands of downloads with +4star rating and i assure you we will displace anything VSCO cam offers. Over the last 2 months i have worked with REAL professional photographers who also write books on this topic to help give feedback on their workflow and tools fhotoroom maybe missing. Fhotoroom v11 tries to bring all of our feedback to life.

Fhotoroom v11 has just gotten approved yesterday. Here is the short list of updates in v11, i hope you like it :)

- Major UX/UI Changes
- +40 New Icons throughout the app.
- Live Preview of filters in presets.
- Filters are now grouped into categories.
- New fhotoroom store with new free/paid filters.
- Light Leaks supports flip horizontally or vertically.
- Textures supports flip horizontally or vertically.
- Updated Color Corrections, replaced Clarity with Tint fine tuned balance.
- Updated Sharpen for Blur and Clarity Sharpening.
- New Highlights and Shadows Filter.
- New HQ Grundge Frames.
- Updated TiltShift filter for better quality results.
- Camera Tap to Focus in landscape fixed.
- New Undo/Redo support.
- New Splash screen.
- Dozens of minor bug fixes and tweaks.

Dear Fhotoroom,

It's so great to see you been keen to the voice of the consumer and digital photography trends.

Would be extremely awesome if you could implement VSCO's M3, T1, and C2. Would be happy to pay for them, as with F5-F7.
Hope you could let the user change order/hide editing elements for faster and cleaner editing.

Thank you!

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
All of those new features, and yet Fhotoroom still doesn't save ANY of the original photo's EXIF data (including location). No serious photo editing app I know strips this stuff out. For that reason alone I can't use it.

Fhotoroom

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
thank you so much boris for the feedback, I will definitely look into this for you. Also the sorting of the editing order is something we are also looking into but customization like this take just a bit longer to finish than most other features.

Fhotoroom

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
this is not something we deliberately do, the metadata doesn't come over so we have to recreate this during the saving process, also either read the metadata from the original file first or collect it if our camera as captured. We like you also believe this is very important which is why our desktop app has one of the most powerful and accurate metadata reader/writer and importer. It is on our list but like customization is not a small feature to just push through.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
this is not something we deliberately do, the metadata doesn't come over so we have to recreate this during the saving process, also either read the metadata from the original file first or collect it if our camera as captured. We like you also believe this is very important which is why our desktop app has one of the most powerful and accurate metadata reader/writer and importer. It is on our list but like customization is not a small feature to just push through.

I get that its not intentional, but still. If you say its important then I believe you, it just couldn't be that important seeing that FR has been in the market literally for years & still can't export my original EXIF data like so many other (even brand new from no name developers) apps can.

This seems like a pretty big hole in basic functionality that would take precedence over say, adding yet another group of filters, but what do I know.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I inquired and this is what I got.

"
Lia Cecaci ( VSCO)
Dec 03 09:25 am (PST)
While we can't promise an ETA, or even that these changes will be implemented, we give you our word that these suggestions are taken seriously and can and will be discussed here at VSCO.
"

This is a very diplomatic way of saying that "we are not yet considering developing applications" for WP.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to download and try Fhotoroom right now....but VSCO hs thus far been the best.

I've taken to shooting with my 920, and then editing on my work assigned Galaxy S3...hahah.

I'm also a part professional photographer, and use VSCO cam's plug in's with my DSLR photos. I don't get angry at people calling them "filters" but they definitely seem a step above what I would refer to as "filters" as they are film emulation models that they've painstakingly assembled.

Mobile photography is interesting, as you often have so much less to play with...you loose proper use of depth of field and mobile lenses tend to always be quite wide angled. So all you have left is composition and how to use light and color. Makes it both simpler and more difficult.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
For me, their filter doesn't look over the top.
There are some of their filters I don't like (such as the Polaroid, have to turn it down everytime), but those that works looks subtle.

Other filter apps I saw changed the picture too much.
Compared to cooking, VSCO filter is like adding a bit of salt and spices to enhance the taste. Other filters, some work, but most are like adding extravagant sauce you can't tell the original taste of the meat anymore.

Not to forget, those apps that only do Lomo filter with all its glorified defects (smear, uneven colour, light leak, film scratch, etc) is horrible.

Balko99

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I want to know it too. Unable to understand it from their web site

VSCO Cam is a camera app, the best camera app. It is available for iPhone and Android but you cannot download it for Windows phone. It has countless and beautiful filters and as I love taking photos with my phone I would be very happy if I was able to download it.

Alistair Henning

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
It would really be great if VSCO made an app for Windows Phone. I don't see it happening as they seem to even have trouble keeping their Android app updated concurrently with their iOS releases.

In the meantime, it's awesome to see more and more developers taking the platform seriously and making quality photo apps. The cameras on Windows Phones remain some of the best in the industry, making them the choice of a lot of serious photographers.

Neil Manuel

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I've found the simplest way in editing photos like vsco. Try to use fhotoroom and do the following:

Exposure (50-90)
Fade (40-50)
Classic Vogue (-20 - +20)

This will make your photo look nice. Check out my instagram here for the photos I just took: instagram.com/neilarvinnn
Feel free to follow me and like my pictures. Thanks, guys 😊

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)