Ok so my mother in law has an Android. She has no texting plan so she yells at the family everytime someone sends her a text. I want to recommend a good cross platform messaging app. Some family have Androids, iPhones and WP8 devices. Suggestions???
    02-05-2014 06:26 PM
    Whatsapp ? Skype.
    msualum likes this.
    02-05-2014 07:22 PM
    Ok so my mother in law has an Android. She has no texting plan so she yells at the family everytime someone sends her a text. I want to recommend a good cross platform messaging app. Some family have Androids, iPhones and WP8 devices. Suggestions???
    Whatsapp is the most popular one as far as I know, and pretty good on Android and iOS. WP app is horrible in comparison, but good enough and steadily improving.

Out of curiosity, why would she yell when she receives a text? Do they charge you to receive texts?!
    msualum likes this.
    02-05-2014 09:46 PM
    Whatsapp is the most popular one as far as I know, and pretty good on Android and iOS. WP app is horrible in comparison, but good enough and steadily improving.

Out of curiosity, why would she yell when she receives a text? Do they charge you to receive texts?!
    yup - it's an old plan from att that they have had and limits the talk and text. I honestly don't understand...
    02-06-2014 01:33 PM
    yup - it's an old plan from att that they have had and limits the talk and text. I honestly don't understand...
    Um if she can have access to wifi connection , or if your mother in law have mobile data she can enjoy WhatsApp. If she is not a techie like my mom :p , you can install WhatsApp , and pin fav contacts from WhatsApp to her start screen. It will be easier for one to go straight into the chat rather than opening WhatsApp and searching the contact. I did the same for my mum. She found this handy feature. Also one can send voice messages ( compare it to walkie-talkie) in WhatsApp. Else for video / audio calls Skype I will always recommend. It is also a popular cross platform (including desktop pc and Mac ) , it does drain battery and one need a high internet plan to enjoy it. Though me and my mum use the same wifi connection , she can make video calls on a 1mbps unlimited home wifi without any hiccups. Will not recommend mobile data on video calls. :)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    msualum likes this.
    02-06-2014 01:53 PM
    Do they charge you to receive texts?!
    I have one of those AT&T plans. Basically, it's no plan, you just pay $.20 per text, incoming or outgoing. $.30 per text if text includes pictures. I don't text enough to want to pay for a texting plan. So I can recommend Whatsapp because that's what I use to text to the wife and family and friends on Android and iPhone. Seems like a lot of people complain about Whatsapp on WP8 but it's been totally reliable for me and I've been on it for a couple of years. Maybe about a year and a half ago there seemed to be some server issues but it works fine for me since then.
    02-06-2014 04:46 PM