Mix Radio+ Account Logs Out When Away from WiFi

whiterus

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Greetings WP Central users!

I have the following problem and hope someone can offer some guidance and advice.

After purchasing my Nokia Lumia 920, I was so impressed with the Mix Radio service that I decided to register and pay for the Mix Radio+ upgrade. It works perfectly fine while I am in WiFi range and even for a period of time (roughly 30 minutes) after leaving WiFi range. After that, however, when I go to check the account settings, it shows I am logged out of the Mix Radio account. As if that weren't bad enough, the offline mixes I had previously downloaded don't open when I select them. Once I move back into a WiFi range (and the Mix Radio account logs back in by itself), I can once again use the offline mixes.

In the first place, I'm confused why the account has to log out once I leave WiFi range, thinking at that point that I am a basic user without having upgraded. But, secondly, even if the account logs out, I had the understanding from the Nokia Mix Radio promotional information that I would be able to listen to offline mixes in, you know, "offline" or "out of WiFi" status.

Frankly, if this doesn't work the way it should, why am I paying for the Mix Radio + feature.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, have you found a fix or workaround? Should I uninstall and reinstall the Mix Radio app?

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Has this always happened or is it something recent that just started happening?

What OS version are you running on your 920?

whiterus

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Laura -

Thanks very much for your reply and assistance. I'm currently using Windows Phone OS 8.0 - specifically, 8.0.10517.150. Firmware revision number is 3051.40000.1349.0007. Hardware revision number is 6.5.0.4.

With regard to you question - it didn't always do this, but interestingly enough it absolutely did not/not do it before I upgraded to Mix Radio+. Since then, I suppose the issue has been intermittent, although it happened every day this past week. As a way of background and for reference, my workflow is basically this: 1) I download mixes overnight for offline use (my Internet connection is not the swiftest and so I do this overnight). 2) In the morning (while I"m still home and within WiFI range), I check to see that they are downloaded, accessible and functional. 3) After traveling to work, I'll check it first thing before I have meetings and it's still functional (this is roughly 30-45 minutes after having left my house and WiFi range). 4) Around lunchtime, when I'm thinking it would be great to listen to some offline mixes, I go to pull them up and get nothing. They still show as tiles with Mix Radio+, but when I tap them, there's no reaction. They respond with the visual feedback, registering that I tapped them, but it doesn't go to the mix and begin playing.

After some more investigation, I found out that the account information reverts to being logged out and, therefore, a basic user. Now, I somewhat understand that Nokia might like to prevent folks from buying a membership to Mix Radio+ for one month, let's say, and then using it indefinitely offline. I get that. But, when I've paid for the month (in this case, the account is paid up through another 2 weeks, by the way) it shouldn't log out and revert to basic until that time, right? Even so, it should still let me have some accessibility to the offline mixes, I would think.

Well, this is pretty much the situation. I welcome any thoughts or ideas you might have.

Thanks very much.

Best regards.

whiterus

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello forum users! Any help anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.

I did some further testing on this issue and determined that if I remain in the application and a specific offline mix, I can continue to use that mix. However, the account does end up logging out because the six song-limit of skips is applied. When exiting that particular offline mix, I can then not play any off the offline mixes.

As it turns out, and after uninstalling and reinstalling through the Windows Market store, I discovered that there are countless reviews that cite this very problem of the offline mixes not working when away from WiFi. What's the purpose of the "offline" mix feature, then?

Perhaps Nokia is relying on a mobile network connection to validate the account - something like a periodic ping to the network to verify the account? I don't know, but that's the only thing I can think of that's preventing everyone from reporting this glitch. In my case, I don't use the phone for the network connection. The Nokia Lumia 920 has well-reported issues of antenna strength and/or other network connectivity issues. So, I end up using the phone as a deluxe media player, so I don't have a network connection.

I realize this sounds all jumbled, but this is what I have with my $3.99 monthly subscription to Nokia Mix Radio+.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Best regards.

Jen Sanko

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Happened to me as well, my workaround was to pin the offline mixes. Now you can access them whenever you like.
Hope this helps.

whiterus

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Jen -

Thank you very much for responding. I will try this workaround and let you know if it works for me. I still find it a bit annoying that this happens in the first place. I've yet to determine exactly how long the account stays logged in before this happens. I set my phone to airplane mode last night to test it and the account worked up to one hour with no wifi connection. I'm fairly certain this happens between 1 to 2 hours away from wifi. In my opinion, this is a bit much - something like a 24 hour time limit between wifi connections is much more reasonable. But, even so, they should assume that you are still a customer if you're paid up through the next month.

I will try your workaround and report back. Thanks again for your help with this.

Best regards,

James

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99