How do you all feel about in app purchases?

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I both like and dislike it. I think it is OK when you can remove ads or buy extra optional content, like themes and so on, however I don't like them when the devs make an app they say are free, but you just get a trial for free and then buy the whole game/app in the app. In that case I think it is better to have a trial and a paid version on the store, so that people know it before they even download it in the first place.

So, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree with me? :wink:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind in app purchases too much and have utilized them in a couple of cases. But I think the whole "free/trial/pay" thing could use some clarity, mostly when it comes to apps that are ad supported. I personally like the try/buy model the best as it usually give you enough time and features to evaluate the app. I don't mind paying for an app I like and use. I've tried some and purchased them and I've tried some and uninstalled them, which seems like the way it should work. But, I absolutely detest adds in apps and will do everything I can to avoid them. I realize the dev needs some sort of revenue stream and I suppose that's one way to get it. My big problem with adds is a lot of apps don't tell you they are add supported. You find out after you've installed it. It should be mandatory that if the app is add supported that be stated up front so users like myself can move on to another candidate. In a few instances I've tried an app with adds because it was clearly stated that an in app purchase would remove them. I still prefer the "try/buy" model though.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree DBDev. If a dev wants his app to be purchased, then, like you said, there should be an option to try the app or outright purchase it. Not say it's Free, then bam you open it up and you really can't use the app without purchasing it, that is annoying.

What bugs me the most though is probably the games. Some games would take you forever to complete, or it's practically impossible to get so far without purchasing something from within the app. Some games have a nice balance whereby the game is free and you can fully complete it without purchasing anything, but if you pay for some IAP's you could complete the game more easily, quickly or get more exciting characters etc then I'm alright with that. But some games are just crippled unless you buy IAP's, which spoils it for me. Just let me buy the game upfront and I'd be happy.

Overall I don't mind them on the whole, as long is the dev is fair with how they implement them. At the end of the day, most devs deserve some money for their time and effort they've put in to produce a decent app or game, but it's when they get sneaky and force IAP's on you, that I don't like. That's when I hit that Uninstall button :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6