Pocket File Manager got full media folders access!! (videos/photos)

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm so shocked as you and you haven't read bad. You do have now this. For example I copied a .zip file from the phone's storage and pasted into the whatsapp folder successfully. I don't know how this kind of system access level is available on WP already but tell me what do you think?

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Not letting me copy into apps...

What do you mean by that?

(Currently we have full access for the Pictures folder, you can create whatever folder you want and store whatever file into it and open it through the app, music, videos, whatever. On the other hand, we don't have access to Documents/Music/Videos main folders).

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by that?

(Currently we have full access for the Pictures folder, you can create whatever folder you want and store whatever file into it and open it through the app, music, videos, whatever. On the other hand, we don't have access to Documents/Music/Videos main folders).

I thought you meant i'd be able to access apps' isolatedstorage from what you said about "a whatsapp file".

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
That would be risky for Apps' integrity, only a jailbreak could give us such access.
Ok. Now that I think about it, that could kill my app, being that the settings keys would be terminated. I'd assume other app's data could break apps in a similar manner.

Also @illi
I think it is a good move. Apps with some rep (Such as file manager) should have access like this. Imagine if every dev had it? We'd have rogue apps deleting the camera roll...

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Now that I think about it, that could kill my app, being that the settings keys would be terminated. I'd assume other app's data could break apps in a similar manner.

Also @illi
I think it is a good move. Apps with some rep (Such as file manager) should have access like this. Imagine if every dev had it? We'd have rogue apps deleting the camera roll...

I understand that, but if you are a developer and there is preferential treatment to some certain app, it leaves a bitter taste.

Edit: At least they should make it public that those restricted APIs exist and tell developers the conditions to get access to them. I don't like it being secretive like this.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I understand that, but if you are a developer and there is preferential treatment to some certain app, it leaves a bitter taste.

Edit: At least they should make it public that those restricted APIs exist and tell developers the conditions to get access to them. I don't like it being secretive like this.

I agree. This functionality should be part of the OS, and otherwise not exist at all. On the other hand, if I had to choose between this and access being granted to everyone, the former is definitely still much prefered.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Have you tired contacting MS ?
Try mailing them about these restricted APIs

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

I agree, they do need to be public KNOWLEDGE, but not accessed by everyone (With a clear path to how to get access).
Even if access is granted, for APIs that deal with user data, the store could somehow scan for them being used in malicious ways (If possible). Even on secure platforms such as WP, apps could easily steal location/contact/etc data and most likely write to it (Yet to look into that). The last thing we need, as a developer, is another security flaw.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
In WP8.1 any app will be able to write to SD card. There are still file type restrictions though, so programs that need to work with any file type, like file managers, will still need special privileges.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This should be front page and on every site in the world! This has cut out me hooking up to my PC entirely. Thanks thanks thanks!! :happy:

wp8 and android co exist in my world

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Because you have access to them. You can send them over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, email, however. Being able to send my hi res photos from my phone directly is a HUGE plus for me

wp8 and android co exist in my world

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills