Metrotube vs MyTube (feature comparison)

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I use mytube nowadays.

Metrotube is a good app and both apps have a lot of functions in common, it just feels that mytube usually does it better.

Mytube and Metrotube allow you to download/preload the files to your phone which is a great feature for people that have a limited data plan (like me), so we can preload the videos while connected to wifi and then watch them on the go (train, walk, car, plane, skydiving etc.). While mytube allows queueing downloads (it will download two videos at the same time, but you can queue more and, afaik it even allows downloading in the background) metrotube can only download one video at a time and is not able to queue at all. However, mytube requires external power for videos larger than 100Mb whereas metrotube doesn't. Also, Metrotube allows you to select the quality you want to download, which is nice but mytube seems to download 720p anyways so the covenience of being able to queue downloads is more important to me.

I also like the fact that mytube allows you to listen to the audio track of a video in the background. As far as I know, Metrotube does not have that option

If you disable the new "river view" in metrotube, you can actually use the app in landscape but with the new UI that point is moot as both apps only allow navigation in portrait mode and you have to keep on turning your phone, which is a annoying.

PS: i bought both apps, though.

Talk4Lig

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Mytube limits you to 1 hours of video in every 3 hours, then it forces a 10 minute break on you.
Metrotube will not alow you to watch/stream HD quality

thanks, i will buy the app probably since i watch youtube a lot :p Or I will wait until 8.1, maybe Microsoft finally make a youtube app

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
according to MetroTube's store description trial is unrestricted and unlimited. You can buy it just to support the devs (+get rid of buy button in menu) :)

Maybe they agent updated te description in the German marketplace, the German marketplace still says HD playback is a bought feature.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they agent updated te description in the German marketplace, the German marketplace still says HD playback is a bought feature.

I won't argue with you, you're probably right - it might be outdated. :) German translation has been added to MetroTube long time ago, so the store description probably remains unchanged since then. :p

Last edited:

volforto

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Non US carrier. But is the app really carrier dependent?

Some carrier blocks links base on the the user agent string, I think in order to stop some people from tethering to desktop. For example, on some carrier you cannot browse the web using IE on windows phone if set to view "desktop version", but switching to "mobile version" is fine.

MetroTube is probably using some user agent that is blocked by your carrier. I used to have this problem and had to switch to PrimeTube to get it working. Too bad PrimeTube is now sort of dead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss