BBM IS coming to WP after all

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I find it semi hilarious that most/all the posts in this section recently were complaints about how it wasn't coming and then a hit or miss few about rumors that there was still hope.

Well, hope no longer as they have released info that is IS coming. I brought together the posts I've read lately about BBM...this is pretty big news when you look at it with respect to WhatsApp also. A sinking hardware and device ship could be COMPLETELY saved with just a single high profile piece of chatting software.

Personally, I think we are already bogged down with chat clients [even MS has Lync AND Skype and already killed MSN Messenger]...just like in the 90-00s when my group of friends; 90% of the people used AIM (even though no one had AOL service since it wasn't available in our area) but there was the one weird person that only used Yahoo or MSN...hahaha. I used them both (not MSN), but loved using the other software that would bring one signon for ALLLLL the chat clients.

Anyway, here is the round up that I found.

Nokia announces BBM and Photoshop Express for Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central
#1 Highlight: Stephen Elop mentioned BBM coming in the next few weeks for Windows Phone.

http://www.windowscentral.com/bbm-released-windows-phone-summer
#1 Highlight: BB says "ehhhh, we are actually shooting for "next few months", expect it by Summer"

And WPCentral had a couple more:
Expect BBM for Windows Phone to feature modern UI design elements and come preloaded on (some) devices | Windows Phone Central
CEO of BlackBerry hints at BBM going ?€˜beyond handsets?€™, maybe going to desktop | Windows Phone Central

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly confused as to why this is important. Can someone explain what makes BBM better than Kik or Whatsapp or even Facebook messenger? I feel like, anymore, we have a thousand messaging platforms, but for the most part, people just use SMS.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
It's about time! BBM is the best messenger platform there is! It is secure communications that can be done 1 on one, or in groups and has many added features. The best feature is the ability for you to see when the other party has read your message. It does voice, voice notes and video also. It has channels which sorta like a tumblr/blog that let's you provide content to subscribers, and it also has BBM Groups which allows 50 people to hang out and collaborate. You can share links, pictures and files.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's about time! BBM is the best messenger platform there is! It is secure communications that can be done 1 on one, or in groups and has many added features. The best feature is the ability for you to see when the other party has read your message. It does voice, voice notes and video also. It has channels which sorta like a tumblr/blog that let's you provide content to subscribers, and it also has BBM Groups which allows 50 people to hang out and collaborate. You can share links, pictures and files.

Based on a post count like that, I have a feeling we have a crackberry fanatic in our midst, haha.

Thanks for the breakdown too...I too was curious as to what it could offer to us that don't use it all that much (or ever).

I'm honestly confused as to why this is important. Can someone explain what makes BBM better than Kik or Whatsapp or even Facebook messenger? I feel like, anymore, we have a thousand messaging platforms, but for the most part, people just use SMS.

I do agree though. Normally options are great.... However options that are completely designed around fragmentation SUCK. SMS is nice because everyone that has a phone number is "signed up" to some extent...(you can opt out by having your carrier block it because you don't want to pay for it though)...but all the other options do is try to sell themselves as a quality option based on features. I wish FB would ditch their messenger and just include WhatsApp into their site, that would be a premium option...

really, features like pkcable listed for us might help to position one as a 'winner' but it is really a battle of market share...and that is obviously not always won by the person with the best features.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Based on a post count like that, I have a feeling we have a crackberry fanatic in our midst, haha.

Thanks for the breakdown too...I too was curious as to what it could offer to us that don't use it all that much (or ever).

I do agree though. Normally options are great.... However options that are completely designed around fragmentation SUCK. SMS is nice because everyone that has a phone number is "signed up" to some extent...(you can opt out by having your carrier block it because you don't want to pay for it though)...but all the other options do is try to sell themselves as a quality option based on features. I wish FB would ditch their messenger and just include WhatsApp into their site, that would be a premium option...

really, features like pkcable listed for us might help to position one as a 'winner' but it is really a battle of market share...and that is obviously not always won by the person with the best features.

Dare I say I'm the "Dave Blake" of CrackBerry? ;) And FTR I am not without Windows Mobile experience, as I had a WinCE PDA, Win 5.0 PDA, Lumia 822, and currently a HP Split X2 Laptop/Tablet Hybrid. Can't WAIT to put BBM on the X2!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Dare I say I'm the "Dave Blake" of CrackBerry? ;) And FTR I am not without Windows Mobile experience, as I had a WinCE PDA, Win 5.0 PDA, Lumia 822, and currently a HP Split X2 Laptop/Tablet Hybrid. Can't WAIT to put BBM on the X2!

Cable! What are you doing on this side of the fence haha. Wonder if WP7 will also get BBM though. But I am ditching WhatsApp. Already got my friend who uses an S3 Mini (though she's interested in the 620 as she's seen my Titan in action) on BBM. Once WP8 gets it as well my lone WP user that I whatsapp with will be asked to get BBM and get going. I trust in the rim job.

EDIT: put wrong model originally.

Last edited:

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
There is no official date yet, I hoped we'd see some news during last weeks build conference. Back in February there were reports suggesting sometime this summer, which is a pretty long stretch.

Depending whether you believe him or not, Twitter user BlackBerryScoop yesterday leaked and tweeted "BBM for Windows Phone is finally available for testers!"
BlackBerry users take his comments with quite some caution, in addition we have yet to see any (closed-)beta announcement. Yet he could also be talking about BB only internal testing on Windows Phone devices.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have lots of friends with BBM... regardless if you use it or not

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have lots of friends with BBM... regardless if you use it or not

I also don't know a single person who uses BBM. Everyone that I know who had it, has already uninstalled it. BBM added 5 million in 3 months, while whatsapp adds 1 million a day. BBM is not essential. If you use it fine, but it's not important to most people.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

agreed, however just because you and the people around you mainly use SMS doesn't mean everyone mainly uses SMS

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
when is BBM coming??
i think we got both news i.e - facebook messanger and bbm arrival at the same time.
and facebook messanger is with us since months and there is even no hint of bbm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise