BBM, iMsg, AIM WTH?

SleepyTheDon

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
What happened or is happening? Do we really need so many different IM platforms? Especially when you have to have multiple installed if your friends and family prefer a different type. I'm okay with BBM although I havent used a BB in 6 years. The Storm was my last. Apple should follow suite and allow iMsg on Windowsphone & Android...why not?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking forward to BBM. If BBM works well, I'll be able to ditch WhatsApp, since BBM will be cross-platform (and free of any Facebook control).

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, BBM will be out of FB control but will still be I BB's Control. No matter how you cut, dice and slice it, these apps will be under someone's control which will be governed by how best to monetize the app with minimal impact to end user.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to BBM. If BBM works well, I'll be able to ditch WhatsApp, since BBM will be cross-platform (and free of any Facebook control).
Why is everyone so anti Facebook as if they are worse than any of these other companies? Also, why is it tgat Instagram seems to get a pass, from the "owned by Facebook, so it must be evil" mantra?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone so anti Facebook as if they are worse than any of these other companies? Also, why is it tgat Instagram seems to get a pass, from the "owned by Facebook, so it must be evil" mantra?

I dislike Facebook due to its lack of privacy. I don't have any issues with Instagram, since the pictures I post never include any people. Those pictures are either scenery or objects, nothing I'd consider private or personal.

ho0lee0h

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I dislike Facebook due to its lack of privacy. I don't have any issues with Instagram, since the pictures I post never include any people. Those pictures are either scenery or objects, nothing I'd consider private or personal.

I never understood the "lack of privacy" argument. I feel like people spit it out, out of fear. Do you mean lack of privacy from the public or lack of privacy from the government? Facebook has been good about public privacy apart from those occasional bugs that have never affected me personally. Just be smart about it and learn its features. I have mine set up for close family and friends.

As for lack of privacy from the government, I'm sure they have bigger concerns than your weekend at Lake Tahoe.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think it's just anti-Facebook mantra now, that's been repeated so often that it's assumed fact. The reality is that we have a ton of control over what is seen on Facebook. Besides, I don't post anything that I would be embarrassed if it got out.

Of course we are veering away from chatting about BBM. I'll install it but I think we are all waiting for something that won't be a big deal. I don't know things of people using it. I never hear people talk about it, anymore. I think it had some launch hype activity and then died down. WhatsApp isn't giving up the throne, quite yet...Facebook owned or not.

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
You may not post, but someone can tag you in a post. You have to expressly give BBM permission to connect to FB as well as to any other social media.

WhatsApp works by you sharing your phone number, which makes you subject to potential negative activity. BBM has a pin which you share. No connection to your phone that anyone can exploit. Some may like that.

End of the day it's about options.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's because I am an average person who rarely does on-line banking ( nothing past account total), only shop on-line with a pre-paid Visa, and have no secrets to hide.

So what if someone reads my text's on whatsapp or my cell phone texts....and I have a friend who was in a hot zone in Ukraine ( Donetsk ), the worst that can be gleaned from any of my text messages is I am a mushy guy who cares about people.

I have been hacked on line with my World of Warcraft account, but it was my own fault as I added a UI addon without thinking. Oh well lesson learned and I moved on. Other then the loss of game gold and gear and 2 days of not being able to play, no big deal, lesson learned.

Is everyone a Super Secret international spy????? Maybe it's because I am from Canada but I just don't see a a reason for all this fuss over security.

So facebook knows I went to Staples on Wednesday, and Future shop on Thursday, and knows I liked Nokia...whats the worst thing to happen...I will see ads for Tech and maybe a sale that I could miss otherwise.

Information is what makes money for facebook, or twitter, or the like....they provide a free service for the mass of the population and gather info to sell ads.
This in a way is the same model for TV, something that people rarely gripe about, other then the Tin Foil hat types who claim there are camera's in cable boxes....which again I wouldn't care about.......

I just pitty the NSA agent who has to watch me watch my shows in my boxers :winktongue:

damule6666

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So you wouldn't care if son creeper was just staring in your windows then, that's basically what you're saying.. Maybe you don't do anything. But the fact of being watched by some stranger is disturbing..
Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett