Kindle app on WP

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I'm going to beg if need be. This is a request for all the WP users who use the kindle app on their phones to please email amazon and ask when they are going to give WP users the same experience as android and ios.
If as many people as possible email them with features that we lack, it may convince them that there is a need for them.

I'm asking here because someone on the kindle forum at .com has asked there and I'm afraid his post is going to be deleted as some people are voting that his post does not add to discussion. I thought starting a thread in a kindle forum about a kindle app was the discussion, seems I'm wrong.

Anyway sorry for being long winded.

Thanks in advance.

kindle-feedback@amazon.com

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
IMDb is owned by Amazon and they have not even bothered to update their app for almost 2 years. Developing a new app is something I can only dream about. Don't really think it would make any difference to them.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I sent an email to the link you provided. My main problem with the Kindle app is lack of dictionary, poor stability and erratic synching. I am not really a fan of Kindle and use it only because there is no Nook app for Windows Phone. Fortunately Kobo just released a new Windows 8 app and is planning to release a Windows Phone app, so we soon may have an alternative.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is the response I received today from my email:

Hello,
Thanks for writing to us with your suggestion that an additional setting should be developed to include the built-in dictionary feature as well as better stability and synchronizing feature. I really appreciate your efforts.
I've taken it as an improvement factor and have forwarded it to the Kindle developments and feedback team and I am really sure that they would be glad to know that our customers are also working towards the improvements in the Kindle apps and are coming up with their own suggestions on how the Kindle for Windows Phone 8 app can be improved.
Although at this time there is no option for including built-in dictionary and have better stability and synchronizing, I'm extremely glad to inform you that we truly value this kind of input as it helps us shape, strengthen and improve the Kindle and Kindle apps and provide better service to our customers.
Please be assured that we're continuously working hard to improve your Kindle experience. I have forwarded your request to the Kindle Development Team and they will carefully look into the implementing this feature soon.
As with all of our products, we continue to make Kindle and Kindle apps better for customers with regular software updates. As soon as your request becomes available, we will definitely let you know about this through our website.
Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.
Again, thank you so much for your feedback and we're always glad to help you if you need anything.
Thanks for using Kindle. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Setu N

santos79

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The problem may be related to Windows Phone 8 as such and not necessarily just the Kindle as this is also not a feature on IE for Windows Phone. On Mobile Chrome and Mobile Safari, all you need to is highlight the word to get a definition. Mobile IE, by contrast, will just copy the word. Then you need to switch apps to get it defined.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The Win 8.1 app is much better. I am hoping that when WP 8.1 is released and they can share more code that this will get the developers moving in the right direction. At the moment it is 2 completely separate apps.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with all these suggestions and have repeatedly contacted Amazon with my concerns. My complaint is there is no search function. I primarily buy reference books such as travel guides, wildlife and plant field guides, and science books. My most-used Kindle book is Maltin's Movie Guide. Without a search function these books are very difficult to use on the phone. I often resort to finding things I need on my PC app and noting or bookmarking the location. I would buy a lot more Kindle books if the phone app was better.

On a positive note, the latest update seemed to fix some of the performance issues plaguing the app.

Perhaps someone should forward this thread to Amazon when we're all done venting!

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I hope you don't mind but I am about to rant. So fair warning.
I have had it with Amazon and their apps or lack of for anything windows. Be it the phone or pc.

That's the kindle app for ios had another major update on the 22/4/2014. You should see what the app on an ipad/iphone can do.
Don't even bother comparing windows kindle apps the ios is in a league of it's own. Would you believe me if I said there is more features on the ios app for devices that are two years old than there is on a Kindle fire HD that's 15 months old. I know because I made the mistake of buying one of these devices.

I bought my first windows phone in May 2012. It was my first smartphone, I downloaded the kindle app on to it and was relatively pleased with it. The big thing for me was how to find a book that I wanted to download. No search facility. Now I would say this should be a basic feature to build into the app( any developers correct me if I'm wrong). I thought that it would eventually be updated. Windows phone 8 came out and I thought Amazon are maybe waiting to develop for that huh! No chance, I now have a wp8 and the kindle app is exactly the same as in May 2012.

Now for apple devices amazon made major changes to the app for ios last year when apple updated the os. Now six months later more features have been added.

The only thing you can do on a kindle app made for windows is read a book. Oh that's if you can find it. Don't bother looking for a dictionary there isn't one.

I have a kindle fire HD and there is no collections on it. So there is no way for me to organise my books.
I have no way in knowing what I've read. If I had bought an iPad I could put all my read books into my own collections in the cloud.

Oh and don't complain on the amazon kindle forum, there is a wonderful option of do you think this post adds to the discussion?
All those amazon fanboys vote no and ten no's later the post is hidden with " customers don't think this adds to the discussion" .

So thankyou for listening to my rant. I thought I should be able to shout somewhere about the kindle app for wp.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You're absolutely right.

What surprises me most is that Amazon has been so good at exploiting every available revenue stream. I know I'd spend a lot more money on Kindle books if they produced a quality app, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss