Podcast Critter got a fresh coat of paint

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Podcast Critter v1.4 gives the option for podcast grid view seen below.

AGZHVJd.png

The periodic errors playing downloaded podcasts seem to have gone away, too! And there's now an option to set a global auto-download policy.

It's nice to see some good options on WP for us podcast fanatics. :) Now I just have to pick one and stick with it!

Podcast Critter | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
They are very different in their aesthetic, but the core functionality is very similar. It's really a matter of trying for yourself, I think.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if I'm asking in the right section, but what does "delete downloaded episodes after completion" mean in the settings menu?

At first I thought that meant the podcast would delete after playback completion, but I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out why "refreshing" deleted my downloaded podcast even though I didn't play any of theme.

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I actually emailed the dev on this. Apparently the functionality is meant to delete after playback, but for some reason it was broken in the last release. I'm told a fix is coming this week.

Also, if you don't want an episode to auto-delete, long press it and select the 'lock' option. :)

acularw

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded the update and still have issues with downloaded episodes not playing. Basically, I need to start playing a 2nd podcast (either another episode or different podcast entirely) and then go back to the original one. The downside is that it usually will not resume at the same place so I have to try to find the previous position.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've had the same issue.

My podcast have also froze, the last three days driving on my way to work; very frustrating, because I like how butter smooth the Lumia 520 is with Windows OS, I like the price, I like the battery life, and offline/no data GPS came in handy last week. The OS limitations have no excuse imho, and it's sad for whatever reason app developers can not get things just working.

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. I haven't had any problems since the 1.4 update. Is it happening with particular podcasts or all? If you can reproduce the error, you should email the dev.

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've had the same issue.

My podcast have also froze, the last three days driving on my way to work; very frustrating, because I like how butter smooth the Lumia 520 is with Windows OS, I like the price, I like the battery life, and offline/no data GPS came in handy last week. The OS limitations have no excuse imho, and it's sad for whatever reason app developers can not get things just working.

Are they freezing with all apps you've tried? I've had this issue with a few of the third party apps, but not all.

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to download episodes on 4G (you can't download in the trial version, and I'd like to know before spending money on this app)? This limitation truly irks me about Podcast Lounge as I'm rarely on wifi and some of my favorites don't play well with streaming. While I realize this is a limitation set by Microsoft, I've seen a number of apps circumvent this restriction by allowing the download as long as you don't leave the app or lock the screen.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to mark multiple episodes as "played" without marking EVERY episode or having to do it one by one.

YIMdev

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Are you able to download episodes on 4G (you can't download in the trial version, and I'd like to know before spending money on this app)? This limitation truly irks me about Podcast Lounge as I'm rarely on wifi and some of my favorites don't play well with streaming. While I realize this is a limitation set by Microsoft, I've seen a number of apps circumvent this restriction by allowing the download as long as you don't leave the app or lock the screen.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to mark multiple episodes as "played" without marking EVERY episode or having to do it one by one.

There is currently no option to download files greater than 20MB in size over cellular network. I'm aware of how to implement this feature, and hope to implement it in the near future. It's just that bug fixes/other features took priority. I'm also irked by the limitation imposed by Microsoft, not only for the reason you mentioned, but also because we don't see this in iOS or Android.

With that said, I do have a hunch Microsoft will be loosening this restriction in WP 8.1. We shall see.

As for marking multiple items as played/unplayed, tap near the left edge of the episodes list - This will activate the ability to multiselect! :)

Let me know if there are any other issues.

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
... As for marking multiple items as played/unplayed, tap near the left edge of the episodes list - This will activate the ability to multiselect! :)

Let me know if there are any other issues.

Thanks! Unfortunately, multiselect only lets me download, delete, or add the selected episodes to a playlist. It doesn't allow me to mark them as "played" or "unplayed."

On a side note, I'm glad to see the dev on here answering questions and getting feedback to make his product better.

YIMdev

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Unfortunately, multiselect only lets me download, delete, or add the selected episodes to a playlist. It doesn't allow me to mark them as "played" or "unplayed."

On a side note, I'm glad to see the dev on here answering questions and getting feedback to make his product better.

Oh dear! That feature is actually in the version to be submitted to the store next week. I'm pushing so many updates my head is spinning and I forget which version contains which features!

Locking/unlocking downloads will also be available from the multiselect menu in the update.

I'm happy to be here to support the users! I'm a user myself and know what it's like to have unresponsive devs.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I currently can not subscribe to podcast, is this not unusual? I'm wondering what technicalities causes this?

I just reset my windows phone (Nokia Lumia 520), and every time I click on a podcast to subscribe, the app crashes; I uninstalled and re-installed it without any luck. Re-set my phone (opps, used wrong Microsoft account email) with yet again no luck.

Really frustrated with app issues on Windows phones, so I'm looking to move over to a Android :(

YIMdev

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I currently can not subscribe to podcast, is this not unusual? I'm wondering what technicalities causes this?

I just reset my windows phone (Nokia Lumia 520), and every time I click on a podcast to subscribe, the app crashes; I uninstalled and re-installed it without any luck. Re-set my phone (opps, used wrong Microsoft account email) with yet again no luck.

Really frustrated with app issues on Windows phones, so I'm looking to move over to a Android :(

It turns out there was a corrupt dll (class library) in v1.5.4

I've submitted 1.5.5 to the store, which will solve the issue and be available within a day or two.

Stick with WP! Version 8.1 will be awesome.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm still trying to find an answer to my question...

A couple of my podcast subscriptions spread their days show across multiple feeds, example:

hour 1, hour 2, hour 3
418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424

Podcast Critter doesn't pick them all up, only the last episode (ex: hour 3, 424). It will pick all the days feeds up if I just subscribed, or re-subscribed. 424 is only 7 minutes long, so you can image the frustration.

I'm just wondering if this is normal? Among other users that is.

Vitte

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Is there somewhere I can get support on this app?

My Podcast Critter work fine at first, but now it does not update feeds correctly; for example, I have some subscriptions that spread out over multiple feed episodes for the day (example: "...Show 1", "...Show 2", "...Show 3" for a 3 Hour radio show); the app will only show the first hour, but if I uninstall and re-install the app all 3 hours will show.

johnieutah

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have being having major problems with Podcast Critter - especially since the update of WP to 8.1 - it crashes constantly, refuses to download podcasts.., basically its pretty much unusable for me at the mo. I've contacted Yimdev on email a few times but had not a whiff of a reply. I am now
looking for a more reliable podcatcher. What can people recommend?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb