DLNA Server App for WP8?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
@Link68759 - I'd like to, but it's a corporate phone and so I'm a little reluctant to do so just for something "personal" like this. They don't mind us putting whatever apps etc we want on there (except Skype), but somehow I think our IT department wouldn't take too kindly to it suddenly ending up on a different version of the OS (especially if it broke something business-critical). I might have a chat with them in the new year about forcing an upgrade, but it's going to take some creative thinking to make a case for something that isn't really needed for basic calls and work email which it has and which works in 8.0.

@Kevin - Example would be for when I'm travelling. I've got a small HDMI DLNA dongle which is USB powered and makes its own wifi hotspot. So the thought would be for example to stick that in the hotel TV, then shoot a movie or two onto the TV from the phone. It's something I do already using my tablet, but as I also use that for general web surfing in such scenarios things get a bit more limited as doing both from the same device (and setting it all up) gets more demanding. My thinking was as I already have the phone with me by default it would be nice to use it that way.

You can't do this on your phone (I don't think) but for your use case, Miracast would be better. Requires 8.1 and supported hardware. Miracast literally just mirrors whatever is displaying in your phone to the tv, no special apps. Microsoft has a dongle for $50USD that plugs into hdmi and is powered by USB (even most old TVs have a USB "service port" which will provide power).

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
You can't do this on your phone (I don't think) but for your use case, Miracast would be better. Requires 8.1 and supported hardware. Miracast literally just mirrors whatever is displaying in your phone to the tv, no special apps. Microsoft has a dongle for $50USD that plugs into hdmi and is powered by USB (even most old TVs have a USB "service port" which will provide power).

The dongle I have can do it (both Miracast and DLNA renderer) - the problem I have is at the phone end. As I said I'm stuck on 8.0 unless I get an OTA update to 8.1.x, so all the solutions so far are out unless I get very persuasive with our IT department.

I guess I'll just have to stick with using my Android tablet for the job and just use the phone for calls and messaging, or when I'm with the wife nick her Moto-G and use that to DLNA stream instead.

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Play To is my current DLNA streamer . It can stream all my videos , photos and music to my XBMC setup in my Raspberry Pi . Also MoliPlayer supports DLNA playback !

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
May I ask, which dongle do you have? Why did you pick it and are you using it and happy? I understand some dongles work much better than others.

Best Wishes.

Kevin,

It was one of these from eSynic (via Amazon), basically because it was cheap. Was bought as part of my travel kit, to give me the option of shooting stuff from my phone/tablet when I couldn't be bothered to hook up a laptop to the hotel TVs.

Generally it works well enough, although it does have the slight security issue that for the hotspot it generates the password is fixed and can't be changed (and is a very generic one). But aside from that it works well enough for me, and is quick and simple (just the HDMI connection plus USB for power). It even came with a little HDMI extension cable to enhance its working by allowing it to be moved from behind the TV to somewhere more visible.

My tablet (Nexus 7 2012) doesn't do Miracast and I don't have Apple kit so I can't vouch for how either of those work with it (I don't think Airplay video works from some of the Amazon feedback, but to be fair the seller listing does say that too), but for the DLNA usage I wanted it for I have no issue with how it runs.

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Play To is my current DLNA streamer . It can stream all my videos , photos and music to my XBMC setup in my Raspberry Pi . Also MoliPlayer supports DLNA playback !

Are you sure Moliplayer can do DLNA playback? I've got the trial version on my phone and it can only share screen to the web (sina Weibo and weChat), not to local stuff via DLNA. Or does the paid-for version allow that? I can't see anywhere in the web or docs that it does, and I don't really want to splash cash for something that doesn't do what I need it to.

Something equivalent to Lumia Play is what I'm looking for, but my phone is an HTC 8x and so I can't get LP (and if I use Fiddler to spoof it and side-load it I can get it onto my phone, but it doesn't run properly).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure Moliplayer can do DLNA playback? I've got the trial version on my phone and it can only share screen to the web (sina Weibo and weChat), not to local stuff via DLNA. Or does the paid-for version allow that? I can't see anywhere in the web or docs that it does, and I don't really want to splash cash for something that doesn't do what I need it to.

Something equivalent to Lumia Play is what I'm looking for, but my phone is an HTC 8x and so I can't get LP (and if I use Fiddler to spoof it and side-load it I can get it onto my phone, but it doesn't run properly).

I don't know why he brought up moliplayer, I'm fairly certain it is only a dlna browser and renderer.

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Well totally out of the blue, my phone has decided it does like me after all (or someone somewhere does) and my phone has just updated itself to WP 8.1 :) So I just gave AV Remote a try again, and it now sees the videos on the phone fine and plays them out to my test renderer (my Pi via DLNA in this case).

So I'm now a happy bunny to be finally on 8.1. Ok, so the next stage is Win10, but at least this one now does what I want anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb