Looking for: Display Caller ID and text alerts

jschipmann

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
A long time ago I was able to have a modem in my HTPC, when someone called I was able to see caller ID information on screen and see if I wanted to pick up the call

Once landlines started to die off I found a program called YAC which allowed me to run a program on my server hooked to a modem, which was hooked to a Bluetooth receiver. When someone called on my Cell it would be seen through the Bluetooth receiver go through the program and be sent out to any client on my network and pop up on screen to notify me of the call.

Now... none of that would work

What I would love to see is a windows 8 app that interfaces with our phones and displays call notifications, and possibly text notifications on screen on whatever device I am on at the time (kind of like the mail pop up notifications).

I know most of us keep our phones nearby, but I am trying to get away from that. All too often I am tempted to check to see if I have e-mail, or if I got a text, then I wander off and check imgur and so on and so forth and before I know it I missed what I was supposed to be watching, or what someone was saying to me while watching TV and using phone.

I think it would be great to be able to free myself a bit, and it would be wonderful to have this working so lets say I am watching TV on my HTPC and someone calls I see it and can decide if I want to go get the phone or not, or I then go upstairs on my PC, or my laptop or my tablet and can get notifications on there (obviously there would have to be a main "server" running the main program and the other clients would connect to it).

Anyone seen anything like this before? Think it would be possible for some nice program / app developer here to create it ;)

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
This got me intrigued. I'm a first year undergrad in Computer Science and I will surely take this up as my project this fall if you don't have any problem. I really thought of that many times but didn't realise the 'public' use it would do. I thought it would be a niche feature. Let's see what I can do. Maybe somebody else may help you out. Try posting in the Developer's forum. Developers Corner - Windows Phone Central Forums

jschipmann

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
How could anyone not want all their devices to work together as they should :) I just have a lot of visions on what our electronic world should be doing, and yet we aren't there yet, this just seems like such a logical and simple thing to me.

When I was on android I got a little something close to this, for the first time when I added my mail account to my S3 it tied my text messages in to my mail account, so... every time I got a text message it went directly to my mail account and I was alerted....and I could even reply to the texts from my mail on my desktop.

Been away for a while and just seen this reply, I'll poke around in there to make the suggestion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb