do you think app support will improve?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm still undecided if I can fully commit to windows phone, and apps I'd the biggest thing. And its not even a matter of the apps coming to the store more as the apps getting continually updated. For example, Spotify hasn't been updated in months, slacker radio looks like it hasn't been touched in a year, and so on. So I'm really worried that devs are not going to update their apps.

What do you guys think?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe that they will come to their senses soon. I'll stick with Windows Phone whether or not developers do, because I'm not missing any apps that I really need, and I've tried and loved new ones if I was missing app (for example, Runtastic since Nike Running is unavailable.)

jevans911

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I believe that they will come to their senses soon. I'll stick with Windows Phone whether or not developers do, because I'm not missing any apps that I really need, and I've tried and loved new ones if I was missing app (for example, Runtastic since Nike Running is unavailable.)

Same here. Windows phone is exactly the phone I've been waiting for after using Android and iPhones previously. The apps or similar enough apps, that I use are all available in the app store...

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Same here. Windows phone is exactly the phone I've been waiting for after using Android and iPhones previously. The apps or similar enough apps, that I use are all available in the app store...

What were the things the windows phone offered that try ge offers did not? Just curious

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The apps are no longer a factor for me. They will come in either form original or third party.

What does Window Phone offer different from other OSes?

For me the deal sealer was the one ideology. I just love the idea that I will soon be able to sync all my data across all my devices.

You should stick around the show has not belong yet.

Last edited:

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone has been around for a while and I didn't even see an NBA game time app. All the apps are made for android and ios. I always hear available for ios and android. No mention of windows phone.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The apps are no longer a factor for me. They will come in either form original or third party.

What does Window Phone offer different from other OSes?

For me the deal breaker was the one ideology. I just love the idea that I will soon be able to sync all my data across all my devices.

You should stick around the show has not belong yet.

Which devices do you use?

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Whether or not it's a bad thing, whenever I hear or read about some app being available for any reason, I presume they don't mean windows phone. I search for what I need in the store, happy if it's there, move on if it's not. I look to Windows Phone Central to keep me abreast of new and important apps for the platform.

Banking, social networks, tech news. Those are the apps I feel I really need. I will go as far as to support companies that support my platform choice. Left Farmers for GEICO because of no app(same monthly cost, I'm not that much of a fanatic LOL). Keep Chase cause they have an app and treat me well. Don't sign up for new social networks or services if no app is present. This last bit also has the side effect of helping me to not sign up for every new fad that comes out.

jevans911

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
What were the things the windows phone offered that try ge offers did not? Just curious

I immediately fell in love with how fluid the OS was compared to my experience with android phones....also the live tiles seemed like such a revolutionary and innovative approach on a Mobile OS. it just seemed to me that Microsoft was taking a much more progressive stance than apple or android on their mobile OS...

Last edited:

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, looking at the original question again, I see my response is a bit indirect.

No, for the foreseeable future I don't see the app support issue changing. I think the devs/companies that care for Windows Phone or have an internal culture of bringing dedicated apps to as many mobile OSes as possible will continue to update them regularly, eg: Rudy Huyn, Windows Phone Central, Lazy Worm apps, etc.

For all the rest, until Windows Phone, at least in US for me is 1/3 of market share along side iOS and Android, they will see no fiscal sense in doing so. Working for a company that is in that same boat(apps for iOS and Android, not a single one for Windows Phone or blackberry for that matter), I can see both sides of the argument as much as it sucks. When I ask and that's regularly, it comes back to market share vs ROI.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, looking at the original question again, I see my response is a bit indirect.

No, for the foreseeable future I don't see the app support issue changing. I think the devs/companies that care for Windows Phone or have an internal culture of bringing dedicated apps to as many mobile OSes as possible will continue to update them regularly, eg: Rudy Huyn, Windows Phone Central, Lazy Worm apps, etc.

For all the rest, until Windows Phone, at least in US for me is 1/3 of market share along side iOS and Android, they will see no fiscal sense in doing so. Working for a company that is in that same boat(apps for iOS and Android, not a single one for Windows Phone or blackberry for that matter), I can see both sides of the argument as much as it sucks. When I ask and that's regularly, it comes back to market share vs ROI.

True. But the sad truth is ROI does not equal Market share.

I wish some devs for example Disney and Gameloft just to name a couple would comment on this.

I'll bet that even with the small market share on WP their ROI is equal or perhaps better than iOS and Android.

I could be wrong. But market share and ROI excuses don't convince me for dev not developing for WP.

Josef Alejandrino

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I know the twitter and tumblr app is **** compared to ios and android and I sometims wonder if improvement will come. Atleast for instagram, they intentionally added "beta" to it to signal improvements will come and in the meantime we always have 6tag to use

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
This ecosystem far from perfect, the most you can do for a perfect ecosystem will be IF the apps are updated constantly, like people say... what's the point of just adding an app and not have the same support it does for other phones? LINE for example, I love that app to chat with friends and some geeks will say WHY DO YOU EVEN NEED STUPID STICKERS FOR? - Yet, I liked that on Android... now I have no support for buying stickers on WP ... same with Videocalling , it's not supported on WP... I love WP, and I have just switched to it like 2 months ago but I'm sick already lol...

jevans911

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree. With the formal release of wp8.1 I think we will see an uptick in production of apps from more mainstream developers...

Parishrut

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft are going nowhere with WP8. They need to check out these forums. They need to check out Youtube for the awesome windows phone concepts people have put out there. They need to get the basics right. They need to listen to what people need.
It is surprising to see there are SO many things that MOST of the people demand and have been always demanding out here, on the internet, and yet MS fail to listen.
The app store is crap. The apps simply don't compare to their iOS and Android counterparts.
Hell, it is only now that WP app store has started to have the basic applications, those too not up to the mark. The store itself is unattractive and a pain in the a** to navigate through, especially on the website. What about the NOT SO BASIC apps. When I say that I am not talking about useless flick the lighter applications.
Example: Let's say I want a chess app with houdini on it. Is it there? NO!
There are many other areas where a mobile can be a useful tool - but only if the apps are out there. WP doesn't have them.
It is a long way to go before their app store it good enough.

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
True. But the sad truth is ROI does not equal Market share.

I wish some devs for example Disney and Gameloft just to name a couple would comment on this.

I'll bet that even with the small market share on WP their ROI is equal or perhaps better than iOS and Android.

I could be wrong. But market share and ROI excuses don't convince me for dev not developing for WP.

When I said ROI, I guess what I meant really is, they don't see a point in investing resources/time/money/etc into developing and creating the app when they look at the market overall for potential use of the OS/uncreated app in the single digits. So they brush it off at focus on the 80-90%

It is possible creating the app(it's an investment banking firm) will cater to users who overall could generate comparable revenue to iOS and android users, but they aren't going to potentially waste resources in taking the first step to break the chicken and egg conundrum. Also that outcome is not likely.

As an aside, as a windows phone user off and on(currently on with Lumia Icon on WP 8.1), its doubly frustrating when there's no mobile optimized website for something that has apps on some platforms but not windows phone. Desktop view is not always ideal/necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte