Bringing the new IE to android and iOS

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have this idea in mind and I would like to share it. I think Microsoft should get IE to the play store and App store they already have lots of their native apps out there. My reasons are very simple. People are scared to invest money in Microsoft products for the so-called bad reputation of IE. I think giving them a taste of what IE feels like on their current phones seems to be a wonderful idea that will put a smile on their faces (maybe even throw in the amazing Microsoft keyboard)
Now before I wouldn't have said that because internet explorer wasn't THAT good. But now with things like reader mode, unlimited tabs and its unique toolbar that's situated at the bottom of the screen (I hope they NEVER change it) I think IE has a shot at being the #1 browser on Android and Apple phones.
Lets hear it from you guys ? What do you think ?

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, they could port it to Android but I believe iOS has the same browser restrictions WP does, meaning whatever they released would just be a webkit control with a different user interface.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, they could port it to Android but I believe iOS has the same browser restrictions WP does, meaning whatever they released would just be a webkit control with a different user interface.

Yeah but there is Google Chrome on iOS right ?? Or is it like you said just a webkit control with a different user interface

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Chrome on iOS uses Safari as the rendering engine, but uses Google's own UI.

And as for porting it to Android, they'd have to also port its hardware acceleration from DirectX, so I doubt that'll ever happen.

I do think though that it would be a good idea to use the custom UI route though, at the very least so users on other platforms can have password sync, tab sync, etc.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Would there be a compelling reason to use IE on iOS & Android? It might be as good as what's already available there, but it's not better. The people on WPCentral like to use Microsoft products whenever possible, but an iPhone or Android user probably doesn't.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Would there be a compelling reason to use IE on iOS & Android? It might be as good as what's already available there, but it's not better. The people on WPCentral like to use Microsoft products whenever possible, but an iPhone or Android user probably doesn't.

From my personal experience , whenever a new browser is released to the platform im on I give it a try, if it impresses me, I would stay on it. Until now all these 3rd party browsers never impressed me (UC browser, Opera, etc; ) my point is that with good advertising and introduction of IE into the Android and Apple communities , I believe most of them will give it a try and will change their minds about how IE is ugly bla bla bla

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

And as for porting it to Android, they'd have to also port its hardware acceleration from DirectX, so I doubt that'll ever happen.

I do think though that it would be a good idea to use the custom UI route though, at the very least so users on other platforms can have password sync, tab sync, etc.

Oh I get you now. Well at least if this ever happens, it will give them a taste of how our browser looks like and that its not worse than theirs and it is actually better

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From my personal experience , whenever a new browser is released to the platform im on I give it a try, if it impresses me, I would stay on it. Until now all these 3rd party browsers never impressed me (UC browser, Opera, etc; ) my point is that with good advertising and introduction of IE into the Android and Apple communities , I believe most of them will give it a try and will change their minds about how IE is ugly bla bla bla

But you're looking at it from a Microsoft fan perspective. iOS & Android users aren't. It's true that IE is now good, but it's not better than the others. What's the reason to switch if you're not pro Microsoft? A few might end up using it, but probably not enough to make the development worthwhile. IE does not even have the highest market share on PCs where it is the sole default browser.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Actually Chrome for iOS uses Webkit as the rendering engine, which Chrome has used in the past before they forked it into Blink. The heritage is similar enough for it not really matter. The thing is, it doesn't have access to the Nitro JS engine and can't use V8, the usual for Chrome. IE would be forced even further off because they can't use Trident, Microsoft's rendering engine, which is very different from Webkit. You'd end up with IE in name an sync only. I doubt the iOS crowd would use IE even if it was available, though.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Safari is based on Webkit. On iOS, any third-party browser has to use the built-in rendering engine, which is Safari's version of Webkit. Webkit isn't something you just drop into a browser anyway; it's all so tied into each browser's own code so deeply that it's not plug and play like that.

Besides, the fact that Chrome also used to use Webkit is irrelevant, because Google doesn't get access to touch the rendering code at all. It's like all of the alternate browsers on Windows Phone that just use a Webview. It literally is just Safari with a new interface and Google specific syncing.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Safari is based on Webkit. On iOS, any third-party browser has to use the built-in rendering engine, which is Safari's version of Webkit. Webkit isn't something you just drop into a browser anyway; it's all so tied into each browser's own code so deeply that it's not plug and play like that.

Besides, the fact that Chrome also used to use Webkit is irrelevant, because Google doesn't get access to touch the rendering code at all. It's like all of the alternate browsers on Windows Phone that just use a Webview. It literally is just Safari with a new interface and Google specific syncing.

You missed the point of my post was that the big difference for Chrome isn't the rendering engine (for the reasons I stated) but lack of access to Nitro. You can't call it "just Safari" because Safari is the only browser allowed to use Nitro. Its better to call it a Webkit view. The bigger point was not only will IE not be able to access Nitro but its stuck on Webkit instead of Trident, therefore defeating the purpose of IE since the reason most people would use IE is to access sites that are more compatible with IE's rendering. I wasn't splitting hairs just to be contrary.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I like this idea for the simple fact IE 11 is faster than Chrome on my SPlit X2 and IE on my Android phone would allow bookmark sync. IE on Android would definitely get me to drop Chrome if anything.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Android has had keyboards as cool as Microsoft's for years already. Nothing new there!

I dint think any keyboard on the play store or the apple keyboard is as good as Microsoft's . If there is one thing in WP that im proud of , its the keyboard , I can't imagine any way in which they can improve it m because to me its so perfect. Even my android and Apple friends were speechless when it comes to keyboards because they know how annoying their keyboards can get.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I dint think any keyboard on the play store or the apple keyboard is as good as Microsoft's . If there is one thing in WP that im proud of , its the keyboard , I can't imagine any way in which they can improve it m because to me its so perfect. Even my android and Apple friends were speechless when it comes to keyboards because they know how annoying their keyboards can get.

Well I'm not here to say that one is better than the other. That's more personal preference. What I meant was that the sliding feature, which was the biggest upgrade in WP8.1's keyboard and is what everyone is raving about right now, has been around in Android for a long time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb