gay community apps

therealcostanza

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
anyone out there disappointed by the availability of various apps for the LGBT community? Scruff is great, though it does not have all the functionality of the iOS/Android version. I moved from iOS to WP7 when it first launched, and really do love WP8.1, and the Nokia hardware. Though, sadly, the lack of these apps does just suck as it was a good way to meet people. I hate to say I'm going back to iOS for just these apps, but after repeated requests to app developers for a WP version of their apps, and receiving responses of 'no', it sucks.

are these killer apps? no. are they definitively going to make me switch platforms? maybe, I just wish that wasn't the case.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's hard because gay apps are already niche. Niche + niche = a nearly non-existent userbase in the grand scheme of things.

The Planet Romeo app is one of those bunded mobile sites.

Meet'm is a very good Grindr app (actual Grindr), but it's not free.

Scruff's WP app is horrible. But I meet a good guy there, I can't complain too much about it.

Manhunt refuses to build a WP app, and they only allow iOS and Android users to use their newest mobile site.

It's no fun being a queen in the land of tiles.

therealcostanza

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100%.

It definitely is a niche market, but I would be curious how much interest there would be in those niche apps in markets outside the US, where WP has a higher market share.

Meet'm is ok, there are some functions that I like, but it doesn't have the full functionality as the native iOS app, and paying for the chat function again after upgrading to 8.1 is dumb.

Scruff is good - agreed I've met some nice folks on there - but it again is limited compared with the other platform versions, and at times, seems cumbersome.

Agreed on Manhunt, and Growlr refuses to build an app as well. Logging into Manhunt on their mobile site puts my 920 through the paces, and always gets warm and reduces the battery dramatically. It's either an IE, UC Browser, or Manhunt issue with their mobile site. Either way, lose for us.

It's unfortunate to see these apps not only not come to the platform, but they would have a unique and I think, visually impressive presence. Having multiple tabs in apps is annoying when you can just swipe left or right, I think it's just more intuitive.

Based on how these apps are all the same - location based with tiled pictures, etc., it really doesn't seem hard to code. Not that I'm a proficient coder, but I have thought about trying to fill these niches and write the apps myself. It would probably take years!

Hi from probably the other side of Boston! We should go to Manhunt in Cambridge and ask them to build a mobile app!

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh, cool to read some pals here... I only use Meet'em and I used Youmigo and had connection with some gays around the globe, lol, but other than that... I don't think there's enough apps :(
I don't know about you but when I downloaded Meet'em again after upgrading to 8.1 it displayed the message to BUY THE $1.00 CHAT FUNCTION but I accepted it and then it told me that I had already purchased it so I didn't have to pay for it again, but you must agree to "buy it again" ...
I would also love the Manhunt app!!! I agree, the mobile site is crap!

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I switched back to Android recently, and I have to say... damn. The PlanetRomeo app is on point. Craps all over the others.

Of course, at this point, I don't even need these apps anymore. So I guess WP wasn't totally useless for matters of the heart. :p But I wouldn't say it was a joy.

The Manhunt mobile site is absolutely one of the most hilariously shameful I have ever seen. How is it that my local tiny credit union has a professional and beautiful HTML 5 mobile site that functions EXACTLY as the app does, and the biggest gay dating site in the country can't get it right? Mess.

therealcostanza

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea. I feel like all these folks need to do is hire a high school student for the summer and get the apps done, or get their site converted.

I'm going to see what the new iPhone looks like when it's announced. I was out to dinner with friends the other night, all with them, and every app just seems perfectly polished. If it has a nice big HD quality screen for Netflix, it might just get me to switch.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Kind of sad that it has to come to that, but that's where I found myself with the Xbox Music debacle. Windows Phone is just not ready for serious usage right now. It's made progress with WP8 GDR3, but they took a major step back with 8.1.

Maybe in a couple of years.

Also, didn't Grindr take down a different app from WP7.5 and promised an official one was coming?

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Kind of sad that it has to come to that, but that's where I found myself with the Xbox Music debacle. Windows Phone is just not ready for serious usage right now. It's made progress with WP8 GDR3, but they took a major step back with 8.1.

Maybe in a couple of years.

Also, didn't Grindr take down a different app from WP7.5 and promised an official one was coming?

I don't believe Grindr made any promises. They just wanted feedback on which platform to develop for on their site.

Jack'd is "supposively" developing an app for WP but it's been 2 months since there little tweet about it.

It's actually nice not having them tbh. my phone isn't ringing constantly or draining so cheerios.

therealcostanza

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I do believe Grindr did take down an app during the WP7/7.5 era beacuse they used their API without permission or something, then claimed they were going to release an app. And the few press releases I could ever find showed screenshots from iOS.

I don't think WP took a step back from 8->8.1 interface-wise. I'm much happeri with 8.1. It would be nice if apps were platform agnostic at this point.

I do remember hearing about Jack'd - and then nothing. I sent a well thought out reponse to MH at that time about the lack in this app space, and used many of the MBA buzz words I hear at work all the damn time, and haven't seen anything since.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know ... I'm looking kinda interested on an iphone, I would never go back to Lagdroid, Bugdroid, MyBatteryDrainsDroid and etc, etc... as much as I love the Xperia range of phone the battery was crap and so I am kinda interested in iPhone as well BECAUSE like People say , it also manages an incredible set of apps that are so well crafted and not released and then be forgotten... Manhunt site sucks, I also sent them an email about Windows Phone and wanted to see IF they didn't reply that email cause it was WP request and indeed, I sent two.. one from my personal email and one from another requesting them a WP app and the other one about other questiosn about their site, they only replied to that one about their site, not the one where I requested the APP...

Grindr, I requeste dthem to open a WP app and they directed me to a link to REQUEST A AN APP with other SO's such as Tizen and Firefox, so they're not taking WP seriously either, despite it being the "3rd OS"... what a huuge gap between OSs this is then..... anyways... its' kinda sad where this has come to tbh

therealcostanza

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It is kind of sad. Would be nice if MS could do something to help out and try to get those app developers to write native WP apps. I'll probably check out the new iPhones when they come out, and I wouldn't be surprised if I switched back.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's sad that the company took down an app for no real good reason. But what's worse is that they promised users something they never delivered on. Grindr is a poorly run business.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It is kind of sad. Would be nice if MS could do something to help out and try to get those app developers to write native WP apps. I'll probably check out the new iPhones when they come out, and I wouldn't be surprised if I switched back.

Given the fact that Microsoft blacked out the word "lesbian" from the Word Flow functionality, I just don't see them giving a crap about LGBT users.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Given the fact that Microsoft blacked out the word "lesbian" from the Word Flow functionality, I just don't see them giving a crap about LGBT users.

Ermm, I'm going to say that's a bit off there. All keyboards will do that on certain types of word.

Just train your keyboard to spell lesbian. Mine knows how I swipe and swipe gay more than hay, fay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte