Any News on Skype App Updates

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if anyone knew of any looming updates to the Skype App coming our way?

For the life of me, I don't quite understand why Microsoft doesn't update Skype and market the hell out of it as a Whatsapp competitor. Instead of working together with Whatsapp to resolve issues, they should pressure themselves into getting Skype in tip top shape to compete with the likes of BBM and Whatsapp.

Not that I'm not saying there's not a team out there working hard on Skype as we speak...cuz for all I know there is....but dang it, how hard is it at the very least to make the tile transparent? Small things can go a long way and the way it is now, it seems like Microsoft doesn't really care about Skype and it's unfortunate.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if anyone knew of any looming updates to the Skype App coming our way?

For the life of me, I don't quite understand why Microsoft doesn't update Skype and market the hell out of it as a Whatsapp competitor. Instead of working together with Whatsapp to resolve issues, they should pressure themselves into getting Skype in tip top shape to compete with the likes of BBM and Whatsapp.

Not that I'm not saying there's not a team out there working hard on Skype as we speak...cuz for all I know there is....but dang it, how hard is it at the very least to make the tile transparent? Small things can go a long way and the way it is now, it seems like Microsoft doesn't really care about Skype and it's unfortunate.

There is currently a update for Skype in the works, it has been confirmed, release date is unknown at the moment but hopefully soon.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Joe Belfiore said he's currently using the new version of Skype and "it's great".

I also presume the new version of Skype will, unfortunately, still be based on Silverlight (as opposed to WP8.1 new WinRT model) because Microsoft expects the WP8.1 update to take quite some time before it hits all users, due to carrier delays. So I'm guessing we'll be seeing an improved Silverlight app with transparency sometime in July-August.

The real update with the WinRT model to come in October. My take on the subject.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Am i the only one that thinks they should integrate Skype into our text messages to be kind of a imessage competitor??

More integration! I think any app that is more integrated with the OS is a plus...and yes, if Skype is baked into the OS, it could be used more as an imessage competitor. Skype is one of those rare brands that are used as a verb, (e.g. Google it! or Xerox this for me). A ton of people I know use Skype synonymous with video chatting. Microsoft really needs to take advantage of this branding since most everyone knows what Skype is and because "Bing it" didn't really take off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb