[WhatsApp] News ... Reviews & Impressions!

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Quick question. If WhatsApp doesn't backup to OneDrive why does it gray out when phone is backing up but the rest 100+ apps work?

I just got notification that I haven't bucked up for a long time and do so now (March 2014, that's when I did it last time). Well I tried and it failed at first, then it got stuck at 15%. I cancelled it, but WhatsApp is still not available

Upd: Its working and, but I'm still curious why it happens

Last edited:

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Any thing New, if not, how about the loading or resuming screen ??

The latest version will now bring the blue tick marks to the chats list, allowing you to monitor conversations without actually going into the chat.

Similarly from the same window users will now be able to see when friends are typing, again making it easier to maintain multiple conversations.

neglekted

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Quick question. If WhatsApp doesn't backup to OneDrive why does it gray out when phone is backing up but the rest 100+ apps work?

I just got notification that I haven't bucked up for a long time and do so now (March 2014, that's when I did it last time). Well I tried and it failed at first, then it got stuck at 15%. I cancelled it, but WhatsApp is still not available

Upd: Its working and, but I'm still curious why it happens

I'm thinking it actually does back up to OneDrive. I recently sent my phone away to be repaired and got it back refurbished, so it was empty. When I restored my backup, all of my WhatsApp conversations were there as well. And my L925 doesn't have an SD card, so that can't be it.

I've e-mailed WhatsApp to see if they can confirm this feature, but so far in five days, all I've gotten are automated replies that I had to reply to or else they would consider my ticket to be "resolved". Their tech support is quite possibly the worst tech support ever :grin:

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking it actually does back up to OneDrive. I recently sent my phone away to be repaired and got it back refurbished, so it was empty.
But what did they fix? It's possible they haven't touch its internal memory (card) (that's where your conversations are saved) So I guess nobody hard reset your phone.. In this case you only have to reinstall WhatsApp and restore chat history

neglekted

May 20, 2014
Visit site
They either replaced the motherboard or replaced the entire phone (they weren't really clear on that, when I emailed them to ask why it was taking so long they said the motherboard was broken and they were waiting for a replacement part, but when I got it back the packing list simply stated the phone had been replaced). Whatever they did, the IMEI number changed too, and everything else that was on it was gone, too. So I'm inclined to say there was no WhatsApp data on it when I got it (but it's a possibility, I guess!).

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They either replaced the motherboard or replaced the entire phone (they weren't really clear on that, when I emailed them to ask why it was taking so long they said the motherboard was broken and they were waiting for a replacement part, but when I got it back the packing list simply stated the phone had been replaced). Whatever they did, the IMEI number changed too, and everything else that was on it was gone, too. So I'm inclined to say there was no WhatsApp data on it when I got it (but it's a possibility, I guess!).

If the IMEI changed they swapped the phone for a new or refurbished phone.

I suspect that whatsapp is indeed backing up to OneDrive now

Tropicc

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I got the black tile 2 days in a row now.. Just suddenly the tile is black and when I go to the app list, whatsapp can't be launched so the only option is uninstall and installing again, which results in only having your messages from the night before back (since it only updates 3 am every night).

Is this becoming a common problem and is there some fix or so for it?

Lumia 920 with Dev 8.1 latest update.

Thomasmas

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
- Yes, WhatsApp is included in the WP-Backup to OneDrive
- During the time the WP-Backup is happening, the app being backup up is greyed out and can't be started. So far I am not aware of another reason. So if you face the issue of the WhatsApp-tile being greyed out it is most probably in the process of being backup up to OneDrive. You could check under Settings/Backup/apps+settings if a backup is in progress. Unless something goes wrong, waiting should 'solve' the issue till the next backup.

Tropicc

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I think waiting doesn't solve the problem. I had the greyed out problem a few days ago right before I went to bed. So I left it the whole night and the next morning it was still greyed out. I don't think an update takes 8 hours.

Thomasmas

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I think waiting doesn't solve the problem. I had the greyed out problem a few days ago right before I went to bed. So I left it the whole night and the next morning it was still greyed out. I don't think an update takes 8 hours.

Well, as I said 'most probably'. I've heard of people where it took more than 8 hours... it depends on the amount of data in WhatsApp, connection speed and speed of OneDrive itself.

Besides that, for some people the backup gets stuck as well (happened to me at some point as well, deleting the backup from OneDrive helped). Definitely the backup mechanism in WP has room for optimizations.

I'm just saying that during WP-backup the 'greyed out'-tile issue happens and it is most probably the reason people are getting it since the last updates of WhatsApp - as the OneDrive-backup has not been activated before.

P_1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
WhatsApp should take lesson from WeChat about updating their app with new features and UI change. WeChat has audio and video calling coupled with multiple images/messages forward and delete option. I wish WhatsApp will learn from its mistake and update with new features and UI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos