Hi all, I checked my whatsapp account today and according to my account , it runs out in August. I remember when I downloaded it I had it for a year free then 69p subscription. Now I do know that that's not megabucks, but my daughter has an iphone and her account has no time limit.

So folks are you using whatsapp and are you going to or are you paying for it?

Before anyone thinks I'm a cheapskate ,I'm not, I prefer to pay people for their work and 69p is not going to break the bank, but why am I going to pay for it and my daughter with her iphone has it free?
    06-04-2014 12:47 PM
    There is no mention of free subscriptions for iOS. http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/23014681
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    06-04-2014 12:57 PM
    Nah, once or runs out at the end of June I'm gonna switch to something else.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta
    06-04-2014 01:01 PM
    Well my daughter's downloaded Telegram for me. I will get the rest of family to do the same.

We are fortunate in UK with our "free" text messages but sending photos is a pain. We tried with telegram today and the photo was sent in seconds and the notification was immediate.

Out of all my contacts only 29 have whatsapp. The ones that count will change.
    06-04-2014 01:22 PM
    Its been more than an year for me and my account was auto renewed. I never had to pay for its service.
    06-04-2014 01:25 PM
    There is no mention of free subscriptions for iOS. http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/23014681
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the link. That whatsapp on that iphone had no end date. My daughter downloaded about the same time as me and she has definitely not paid anything.
    06-04-2014 01:26 PM
    I think people who signed up for WhatsApp when it was new, got accounts with infinite/lifetime validity - this might be how your Daughter's account is free.
    06-04-2014 01:27 PM
    Basically in the olden days you'd get a lifetime membership when buying the app in the Apple store. Occasionally, you were able to "purchase" the app for free, so that's why your daughter might have a free lifetime membership. Since then, WA has adapted the licensing model to match the Android/WP model.
    06-04-2014 01:53 PM
    Basically in the olden days you'd get a lifetime membership when buying the app in the Apple store. Occasionally, you were able to "purchase" the app for free, so that's why your daughter might have a free lifetime membership. Since then, WA has adapted the licensing model to match the Android/WP model.
    that's correct. in the past, whatsapp indeed was a paid app for iOS.
    anyway, in current scenario, whatsapp has everyone first year use for free and also given almost everyone second year free also. but, i don't think, further more will happen. otherwise, whatsapp won't survive. they don't sell ads. thus, there won't be revenue. why anyone will do that?
    the charges proposed by whatsapp is $1 per year, which is definitely acceptable.
    06-05-2014 07:10 AM