[Fuelly.com] Changes to the broken Fuelly app!

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
After the update to Fuelly.com my app, FuellyApp, is not currently functioning.

They changed a ton of URL's for information and added some new things to the requests.

I'm currently working on an update for the app that should fix it, with some additional bug fixes as well. Additionally there is a WP8.1 version that has significantly better speed and reliability to it with some new features that I'm hoping to have out before August.

Stay tuned for updates to the progress on the fix and/or when it is published, and I apologize for the delay in getting it to work.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So far, I've gotten login to work again.

Things I've noticed so far about the changes that will lead to improvements in the near future though:

- The site now differentiates between cars and motorcycles on the front end (instead of just on the backend where I couldn't reach before)
- The URL scheme actually makes sense now (which means a lot less page requests to get the same information, which should increase speed)

The bad news is that almost every single page request the app was making now has a different URL, and most of them have different parameters being requested. It will likely take most of the day tomorrow before I can get it working again, but I should have it working before the weekend.

I'll keep this post updated as I get closer.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Bad news.

The fuelly.com site is broken as far as what I use to generate all the data. In its current form it will work, but some functions have been disabled for now (new user registration, new vehicle adding).

There is also an issue on their end with how I import the fuelups in. I've put in something to help compensate for it, but it might not work for everyone or every time. Example below.

I've reported this issue to them, and I will release the app with it attempting to correct this on the fly, but I can't guarantee it will work long term if they make more changes to the CSV add.

​That said, I've submitted the update, it should be available in the next few hours.

example.png

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Is this app still be updated/fixed/improved? It's been more than 2 months since the last post and there are still issues with the app. Most of it works again and it's still a good app, I'm just trying to find out if there are still more fixes and improvements coming.

Problems:
When I submit a fuel-up, about 50% of the time it will tell me that it failed and I should check the accuracy of the data. Sometimes I can submit again and it will work, but most of the time I have to restart the app and re-enter the data.
If I submit without an odometer reading, it will crash the app (I didn't have an odo reading on a fill-up, so I marked it partial and figured that it would catch up on the next fill-up). I have since discovered that Fuelly.com doesn't allow a submission without an odo reading which is probably why it crashes.

Suggestions:
When submitting a fuel-up, it would be great if the app could give some kind of indication that I hit the submit button. Sometimes it takes a considerable amount of time to get a "success" confirmation, so I hit the submit button again in case the first hit didn't do anything. It will then sometimes make a duplicate entry at Fuelly.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
It is still being updated. There are a lot of backend changes that I'm still sorting through (a lot of the app had to be completely rewritten in order to work with the changes on the website).

Most of the work has been going into an updated Windows Phone 8.1 version (a few new features, and improved performance).

I will add some more error checking to the add fuelup screen, and something to let the user know the fuelup is being processed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the last update (actually the one before the last one), this app has become totally unusable. It will no longer let me enter a fuel-up. If I hit the save button, I get, "An error adding your fuelup has occurred, please check the data for accuracy".

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't fix it (I have also done a soft reset many times since this problem started).

My phone is an HTC 8X running the 8.1 developer preview.

--DaveR12

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll be looking into this first thing in the morning. I'm betting it's related to the https changes their site made last week.

Hopefully its a quick fix and I can get it pushed out pretty early. I'll post here once I have confirmation it's available.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Dave,

After troubleshooting in the code, I have only gotten success with adding fuelups with one exception.

Any error the site gives when trying to fuel up would cause that error message to display.

Such as: The site now warns you if your milage is too different from your last milage. So while testing I put in a milage less than what my last milage was and that triggered the error.

If you are sure the values you are entering are not causing the error, I can turn on extra debugging in an update via the 3 dot menu that will allow you to submit an error report so I can see if the values somehow are getting messed up between the app and submitting the values to Fuelly.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm pushing a new update once my internet is back up, which is tomorrow hopefully (with my internet down, my server can't receive error reports from the app) that will enable a ton of extra error reporting. It will also add an option to the settings that allows extra data collection for error reporting purposes. In line with my privacy policy, no personally identifiable information will be automatically sent with error reports.

Turning this option on will send a report if it fails to add a fuelup for any reason, which may help me figure out why it isn't working for you Dave.

Once the update is available I'll send you a PM to let you know and hopefully shortly after you try it again I'll know what to change to make it work.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Version 0.8.8.9 includes better error reporting.

Sorry for the delay, there were a few issues that would appear on devices, but not in the emulator or test devices that I needed to sort out.

Under settings at the bottom there is now an option to enable extra reporting. When turned on you can submit an error report under the add fuelup screen, by clicking on the 3 dot menu.

If you get any errors adding a fuelup clicking that button will send an error report in.

Let me know if you have any issues.

​Thanks!

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Last night when I tried the app, it would lock up after I tapped the Save button to add a fuel-up. If I tapped it again, the app would crash/exit. I tried it 3 times and got the same results. About an hour later (when I wasn't sitting at a gas station) I un-installed and re-installed the app and tried to enter the same data again and it worked. I then entered data one more time and hit the Save button two times (about a second apart) and it crashed/exited. I think what happened when I tried it 3 times at the gas station, was it was taking a really long time to Save and hitting Save again caused it to crash. I waited about 30 seconds each time before hitting, but maybe Fuelly.com was running slow at that time.

Is there anyway to show that the Save button was tapped or can you disable it after tapping once while the app sends the data to Fuelly so that we know it's trying to do something?

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

I am adding loading indicators to the fuelup page, and updating the existing progress indicators to be consistent throughout the app for the next update (0.8.8.10).

I'm also working on a few things to improve performance (getting rid of redundant page loads, etc).

I'll post here once I've pushed the next update out.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks like sometime today they switched back to using HTTPS addresses... and the auto redirects aren't working like they should.

There should be an update out later today that contains the fix for HTTPS (will try HTTPS first, then try HTTP if that fails to avoid this issue in the future) and a fix for the app crashing when opened from a Live Tile.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, Version 0.8.8.11 has been submitted and should be live within a few hours now. Let me know if any more random issues come up. Hopefully they stop making backend changes for a few days so I can have some time to fix other features (like registration and adding vehicles).

Changelog:

** 0.8.8.11 **

- Fixed issues with Fuelly.com switching between secure and insecure logins repeatedly
- Fixed issue where app would crash if opened from pinned tile
- Improved verbage for various connection issues
- Several backend fixes designed to improve reporting

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Fuelly App has not been working again for the last couple of weeks. It always tells me "an error adding your fuelup has occurred, please check the data entered for accuracy". I also noticed that the top field now says, "miles since last fuel up", instead of "odometer reading". I thought maybe that was the problem since I was putting in my odometer reading which would mean I was saying 137000 since last fuel up. I tried making an entry with a more reasonable number, but got the same error.

Aside from resolving the error, can you go back to using the odometer reading instead of mileage or make it an option?

Let me know if you need more info from my app. It's version 0.8.8.13 beta.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been on vacation. :/

They keep making small/subtle changes to random fields on the site... that is what keeps breaking the app.

In the mean time though, I may have discovered something good while going over traffic captures that may prevent this issue from happening as frequently. I'm going to release a quick "patch" update over the weekend, and if what I found pans out, then a WP8.1 and up version will come out that should be better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720