For all those waiting for the BBC iPlayer Radio app for Windows Phone, the BBC posted the following on twitter earlier: "You don't have long to wait now, not long at all"

Following the controversial decision to remove radio from the iPlayer App at the last update, this is welcome news.
    07-06-2014 11:01 AM
    With RadioPlayer and Listen Again, I've got it covered already.
    07-06-2014 11:34 AM
    "You don't have long to wait now, not long at all..."... for another web wrapper, probably. Oh BBC, how generous of thee.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-06-2014 11:43 AM
    So what is the BBC Radio app I have already been running for the past year or so?
    ttsoldier likes this.
    07-07-2014 02:16 AM
    07-07-2014 08:43 AM
    And what a surprise, it's another web wrapper. Yes, it's great to have an official app to stomp on the naysayers but it shows a poor and reluctant commitment to the platform. No desire to utilise the strengths of WP at all. I'll stick with Radioplayer.
    07-08-2014 04:14 AM
    Looks like it is restoring the functionality lost from the main BBC iPlayer app when they decided to split out radio support across all platforms. The main thing then is that it restores the catch up facility which I used a lot. I turned to the Listen Again app for that but that is slow to update with new programmes so not as useful.

But the keeper / killer proof of the pudding for me will be how well it copes with recovering from drop outs as it switches between different wi-fi hotspots and mobile cells for someone always on the move. With the England v India test match starting tomorrow I will have plenty of opportunity to give that a thorough work out. TuneIn, for example, is very fragile in this part of its operation.
    07-08-2014 05:52 AM
    Day 1: Seems to work well both with moving around the workplace between different wi-fi repeaters and on the road using a mobile signal though that is only my secondary means of listening if I move out of Bluetooth range of the DAB radio in the van.
    07-09-2014 01:51 PM
    Seems to a major problem with it closing down properly as it continues to guzzle battery power when supposedly not running. Going to do some further tests to see if there is a difference between using the fast closedown method (press and hold the Back button then X) and backing out of the app by repeatedly pressing the Back button (*). Ideally it should not use any power when you hit Pause and still open but that does not seem to be the case.

I have been needing to power-cycle the phone after every session of use.

(*) Here Maps had a problem with fast closedown in that it would seem to try and re-open to where it was rather than from anew and got itself confused. Since fixed.
    Last edited by gomezz; 07-14-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    07-14-2014 04:39 AM
    I too am experiencing major problems with the BBC iPlayer Radio app. After the first week impressions are not good at all. The problems I am having are: (1) Stuttering performance of catch up radio on 4G and fast wifi connection. (Yesterday with all the stuttering / stopping and starting it took over an hour to listen to a 45 minute programme.) This is not a one off and has happened every time I have used the app. (2) Battery drain both whilst listening and for some time after listening. I have found the only way to stop this is to X out of the app, switch on airplane mode for about ten minutes to kill data connection and wifi and then start again. I have so far been unable to use back arrow to close the app after listening. (3) Crashes at least once in every session I have used this and will not resume from place it had crashed. (4) No way to see / save favourites.

Interestingly I have been reading reviews for this app in the Apple store and many who have commented there mention similar problems, so perhaps apple is no longer the BBC's favoured platform after all. The android app seems fine and gets excellent reviews. I have a Kindle and the app on there works perfectly and whilst at home I will now use my Kindle or laptop for catch up radio. I have also looked at alternatives. Radioplayer is fine for live radio and podcasts but very limited catch up content. Tune in Radio again fine for live content and offers better performance for live radio (Test Match Special!!!) than iPlayer App. Listen again is very stable and offers all catch up services (eventually) but via Bluetooth or without headphones it is barely audible (as one commentator said it sounds like it is "at the bottom of a well") which is a shame as otherwise is the best alternative service.

Sorry to rant, but as live and catch up radio is one of my main uses for my phone this is a real problem to me. If it is not sorted soon may start looking at alternative platforms. I am going to try to contact BBC directly.
    07-14-2014 09:00 AM
    An initial brief test seems to suggest my theory about using fast closedown while still playing is correct but will do some more extended, repeat tests when next I have time with a charger to hand.

What does seem to work is that re-opening the app then using the slow closedown method seems to shut it down properly although it is a struggle to do with many Back presses needed to get it to close down. But less of a faff and time than power-cycling.

The corollary is that it may closedown properly if you Stop/Pause play first *then* use fast closedown. Whether it needs to be paused using the app control or the standard playbar controls is something else to investigate.
    07-14-2014 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try. Reading here: BBC - Blogs - Internet blog - BBC iPlayer Radio app on Windows 8 phones it implies that the app was something of a stop gap following the removal of radio functions from the main iPlayer app. It implies improvements to follow (stability, adding favourites, maybe even playlister?). I am wondering if it may have been better to give this app a "beta" tag to avoid people like me moaning.
    07-14-2014 11:38 AM
    To be fair, as I have already pointed out, this would not be the first app to not close down properly using the new fast closedown method (new with the Black update as I recall). Would be interested to hear of the experiences of anyone using this app under 8.1.
    07-14-2014 05:30 PM
    Opening and reclosing the app did not work for me two nights ago (I think I paused play using the standard playbar controls). Last night I paused play within the app and did a slow closedown (repeated Return) and that did work. Will try the Airplane/Flight mode trick next time I get a problem.
    07-16-2014 03:40 AM
    Update: It is now looking as if the difference in closing down properly is whether you are streaming live which is OK or listening in catch up which is not OK.
    07-20-2014 05:05 AM
    I too have found using the back button to exit prevents the battery drain. The stability issues with stuttering and pausing seem to be associated with multi tasking. I have the Nokia 625 with 512mb RAM so I presume on devices with 1mb or more would run smoother. As long as I am content to just listen and do nothing else it has worked fine. Was hoping to have time today listening & testing different scenarios but all BBC iPlayer services are down!!!
    07-20-2014 08:22 AM
    I am also now experiencing the stuttering issue since updating to 8.1. Thankfully, I have the option of listening using my Android tablet but it means remembering to always take that with me.
    08-29-2014 05:43 PM
    And today the BBC have broken their iPlayer Radio app by overwriting it with a copy of the main iPlayer app so can no longer use it to listen to BBC radio stations using it.
    10-08-2014 11:08 AM
    Same here. Interestingly went to uninstall & then reinstall and has been pulled from the store. If I try to access from an old link says "app not available for your device".
    10-08-2014 11:25 AM
    BBC iPlayer radio app now back in the store with an update!! Downloading now...........
    10-08-2014 12:44 PM
    So they updated it a second time today and it STILL doesn't work and just loads up the TV app. You'd think they'd test it after messing up the first time.
    10-08-2014 12:49 PM
    Thankfully there is still TuneIn for live radio but it is not as good as holding and resuming a stream across intermittent signal dropouts and there is my Android tablet for live and catchup BBC radio but that involves the faff of turning on Internet Sharing on my phone when out in the sticks away from any wi-fi hotspots.
    10-09-2014 04:18 AM
    Following the update the app is working again. The user interface has improved slightly, with less clicks to get to the programmes and programmes do load quicker (sorry it really does "seem faster"). After two days of use I have not seen the battery drain issues. Unfortunately the stuttering playback issues persist (even on fast wifi), it seems worse on catch up programmes than live, and whilst the stuttering happens less frequently than before, when it does happen it is worse, making programmes unlistenable (usually at exactly half way through the programme??). There is still no way to add or sync favourites or access recently played (to resume listening to a programme for example). It is virtually impossible to multi task during playback, and any attempt to open other apps, emails or texts brings it grinding to a halt, however this is maybe a 512MB RAM issue? I would rather have a slower user interface with reliable playback than the other way around as the update has achieved. For me this may be a deal breaker for Windows Phone as iPlayer radio is my most used phone app, I appreciate third party apps are available but all have compromises. I will keep trying.....
    10-10-2014 01:48 PM
    Only had a brief play but to me it is even more sluggish than before? Particularly in the delay before a stream starts playing. If that is down to more reliable buffering and maintaining the stream across momentary signal drop outs I will live with that. And they have fixed the bug where you had to press the Play icon twice to get it to work.
    10-11-2014 12:05 AM
    Battery drain is as bad or even worse than before. And it is still burning battery if it is streaming something or doing nothing!
    10-12-2014 06:09 AM