BBC iPlayer Radio For Windows Phone

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
For all those waiting for the BBC iPlayer Radio app for Windows Phone, the BBC posted the following on twitter earlier: "You don't have long to wait now, not long at all?"

Following the controversial decision to remove radio from the iPlayer App at the last update, this is welcome news.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
And what a surprise, it's another web wrapper. Yes, it's great to have an official app to stomp on the naysayers but it shows a poor and reluctant commitment to the platform. No desire to utilise the strengths of WP at all. I'll stick with Radioplayer.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Looks like it is restoring the functionality lost from the main BBC iPlayer app when they decided to split out radio support across all platforms. The main thing then is that it restores the catch up facility which I used a lot. I turned to the Listen Again app for that but that is slow to update with new programmes so not as useful.

But the keeper / killer proof of the pudding for me will be how well it copes with recovering from drop outs as it switches between different wi-fi hotspots and mobile cells for someone always on the move. With the England v India test match starting tomorrow I will have plenty of opportunity to give that a thorough work out. TuneIn, for example, is very fragile in this part of its operation.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Day 1: Seems to work well both with moving around the workplace between different wi-fi repeaters and on the road using a mobile signal though that is only my secondary means of listening if I move out of Bluetooth range of the DAB radio in the van.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Seems to a major problem with it closing down properly as it continues to guzzle battery power when supposedly not running. Going to do some further tests to see if there is a difference between using the fast closedown method (press and hold the Back button then X) and backing out of the app by repeatedly pressing the Back button (*). Ideally it should not use any power when you hit Pause and still open but that does not seem to be the case.

I have been needing to power-cycle the phone after every session of use.

(*) Here Maps had a problem with fast closedown in that it would seem to try and re-open to where it was rather than from anew and got itself confused. Since fixed.

Last edited:

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I too am experiencing major problems with the BBC iPlayer Radio app. After the first week impressions are not good at all. The problems I am having are: (1) Stuttering performance of catch up radio on 4G and fast wifi connection. (Yesterday with all the stuttering / stopping and starting it took over an hour to listen to a 45 minute programme.) This is not a one off and has happened every time I have used the app. (2) Battery drain both whilst listening and for some time after listening. I have found the only way to stop this is to X out of the app, switch on airplane mode for about ten minutes to kill data connection and wifi and then start again. I have so far been unable to use back arrow to close the app after listening. (3) Crashes at least once in every session I have used this and will not resume from place it had crashed. (4) No way to see / save favourites.

Interestingly I have been reading reviews for this app in the Apple store and many who have commented there mention similar problems, so perhaps apple is no longer the BBC's favoured platform after all. The android app seems fine and gets excellent reviews. I have a Kindle and the app on there works perfectly and whilst at home I will now use my Kindle or laptop for catch up radio. I have also looked at alternatives. Radioplayer is fine for live radio and podcasts but very limited catch up content. Tune in Radio again fine for live content and offers better performance for live radio (Test Match Special!!!) than iPlayer App. Listen again is very stable and offers all catch up services (eventually) but via Bluetooth or without headphones it is barely audible (as one commentator said it sounds like it is "at the bottom of a well") which is a shame as otherwise is the best alternative service.

Sorry to rant, but as live and catch up radio is one of my main uses for my phone this is a real problem to me. If it is not sorted soon may start looking at alternative platforms. I am going to try to contact BBC directly.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
An initial brief test seems to suggest my theory about using fast closedown while still playing is correct but will do some more extended, repeat tests when next I have time with a charger to hand.

What does seem to work is that re-opening the app then using the slow closedown method seems to shut it down properly although it is a struggle to do with many Back presses needed to get it to close down. But less of a faff and time than power-cycling.

The corollary is that it may closedown properly if you Stop/Pause play first *then* use fast closedown. Whether it needs to be paused using the app control or the standard playbar controls is something else to investigate.

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try. Reading here: BBC - Blogs - Internet blog - BBC iPlayer Radio app on Windows 8 phones it implies that the app was something of a stop gap following the removal of radio functions from the main iPlayer app. It implies improvements to follow (stability, adding favourites, maybe even playlister?). I am wondering if it may have been better to give this app a "beta" tag to avoid people like me moaning.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, as I have already pointed out, this would not be the first app to not close down properly using the new fast closedown method (new with the Black update as I recall). Would be interested to hear of the experiences of anyone using this app under 8.1.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Opening and reclosing the app did not work for me two nights ago (I think I paused play using the standard playbar controls). Last night I paused play within the app and did a slow closedown (repeated Return) and that did work. Will try the Airplane/Flight mode trick next time I get a problem.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Update: It is now looking as if the difference in closing down properly is whether you are streaming live which is OK or listening in catch up which is not OK.

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have found using the back button to exit prevents the battery drain. The stability issues with stuttering and pausing seem to be associated with multi tasking. I have the Nokia 625 with 512mb RAM so I presume on devices with 1mb or more would run smoother. As long as I am content to just listen and do nothing else it has worked fine. Was hoping to have time today listening & testing different scenarios but all BBC iPlayer services are down!!!

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I am also now experiencing the stuttering issue since updating to 8.1. Thankfully, I have the option of listening using my Android tablet but it means remembering to always take that with me.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
And today the BBC have broken their iPlayer Radio app by overwriting it with a copy of the main iPlayer app so can no longer use it to listen to BBC radio stations using it. :angry:

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Interestingly went to uninstall & then reinstall and has been pulled from the store. If I try to access from an old link says "app not available for your device".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs