Former Android user moving to WP app help

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just awaiting delivery of my Lumia 930 and I'm moving away from Android for the first time.

I'm interested in the availability of WP apps, specifically those that deal with One Note/productivity onsite to help with work.

I need to be able to take photos, detailed notes and hopefully integrate that with mapping info too.

Are there any WP apps that can help with this?

Also, are there any WP apps that you can't live without? Does't matter of they're free or paid, I'd just like to know what sort of things people use and recommend really, besides the normal selection of FB, Twitter etc etc.

Thanks all!

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the window world. I never looked back when I switched about a year ago. First off there is office and it has word, spread sheets,etc...comes free with the phone. Apps I can't live without? Hmmm.....apart from the usual..i would say Cortana now I am used to her. Reminds me to get shopping when I go past a shop. Very handy. Can't live without the actual app store either....ooo when you get your phone type in gift card or voucher... I think the offer of a free $25/?20 app voucher for free is still available and plus you get 9 free Xbox games too like assassins creed, earthworm Jim...really good games

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Office Lens is a dedicated app for taking images that save directly into OneNote. It has Whiteboard, Document and Photo modes.
Not sure about the mapping side of things though
If you are a heavy Office user, you may also like Office Remote which allows you to assist with phone based functions when presenting Office based content.

For recommended apps, I'd go with
Metrotube or Mytube - Great Youtube apps that in many ways are better than the originals as you can download videos for offline viewing
6tag - Other than late notifications it is better than the real Instagram as it has multiple account support and Collage functions built in
6snap - Snapchat, if you use it
Cloudmesh - Really cool aggregator for any almost cloud storage platform
Flash Sports - Finds internet streams for pretty much any live sport on the planet, can also record too which is cool
GMaps+ - Can layer both Google Maps data as well as Here Maps and its offline maps. Get the best of both worlds.
WebApps - Cool service that creates nice tiles for major mobile websites that may not have WP apps. I use this for Uber's HTML5 app and some local news websites.
WPCentral - For all the Windows Phone news and app information

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
InNote is great for taking notes, and is pretty awesome. Actually, i prefer it over OneNote. Also 6tag is far more better than official instagram app, so i would recommend that if you use instagram. An awesome photo editing app i can't live without is Fhotoroom-it has amazing filters and good editing capabilities. If you want to travel or use navigation then Here Drive+ in combination with Here Maps is a perfect choice. If you feel like exploring, i would suggest you Foursquare official app. That's from me :)
EDIT: Forgot to mention awesome Youtube third party apps: Metrotube and myTube. I actually prefer myTube as it really looks nice and has option to only play music instead of video :D

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Notes? I think you should try Note Plus: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=32fc5eae-7a21-4cc9-ab82-bb09da02fb39 or
Note+: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=5e814633-a07d-4191-9ffb-e2db31a4fd86
The note apps I use. I perfer Note+ but it doesn't support picture attachments.
The apps I 'can't live without' except social networks are 'Vieather' for weather http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=387d641e-a7b7-4669-a477-3e642c5bbd5a
'Metrotube' for youtube http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=8d93224f-2808-e011-9264-00237de2db9e
'Lomogram+' for image filters http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=3990bda9-ab8a-48e9-998d-44cc6a04a0ae
'Headertiles' for motivational text on my startscreen http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=137ba51e-cc40-45f9-a182-08e740abc9be
'MyAppFree' and 'AppDeals' for daily free apps http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=286ba4a5-33c3-489a-a5a1-8675503aadca http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=e09858f0-0cf7-4b33-b754-54dd121b3c5d
Thats most of the non-social-network apps that I use.
Anyway, welcome in WP family ;)

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Talk about rapid response!!

Thanks a lot for the info all, much appreciated. Obviously when I get the phone there's probably loads of things to update anyway, so figured I may as well get a list of apps to try out too. I'll look into the recommendations thanks and see how things go.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Talk about rapid response!!

Thanks a lot for the info all, much appreciated. Obviously when I get the phone there's probably loads of things to update anyway, so figured I may as well get a list of apps to try out too. I'll look into the recommendations thanks and see how things go.
You can also use the app for android to find alternative apps on windows phone. You can find it on play store :)

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh and don't forget photo beamer...basically it transfers your pics onto the tv with no wires. Don't need a smart tv. Even a playstation 3 will do it. Go on the net using the playstation, scan the code with your phone from the tv and hey presto... All your pics gets transferred on large screen

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh and don't forget photo beamer...basically it transfers your pics onto the tv with no wires. Don't need a smart tv. Even a playstation 3 will do it. Go on the net using the playstation, scan the code with your phone from the tv and hey presto... All your pics gets transferred on large screen

Ah thanks for that, I was reading about that earlier, will be handy at work with pics I've taken onsite and then I can just beam them on screen at work to show people. I don't suppose you know if the L930 can transmit video over wireless too? My current HTC can send YouTube videos to my TV (smart, so connected to home network) and I've gotten quite used to doing this as typing things in on the TV remote take an age!

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Ah thanks for that, I was reading about that earlier, will be handy at work with pics I've taken onsite and then I can just beam them on screen at work to show people. I don't suppose you know if the L930 can transmit video over wireless too? My current HTC can send YouTube videos to my TV (smart, so connected to home network) and I've gotten quite used to doing this as typing things in on the TV remote take an age!

To be honest I have never had a 930 but I dont see why it shouldn't work :)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You can use Miracast on the Lumia 930. Go to settings> project my screen> select the TV 📺 connected to the same Wi-Fi 📶 network. You can also use USB to mirror the screen on a Windows PC.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
You can use Miracast on the Lumia 930. Go to settings> project my screen> select the TV �� connected to the same Wi-Fi �� network. You can also use USB to mirror the screen on a Windows PC.

Excellent thanks. I can't check myself at the moment as I don't have the handset yet! Cheers for the info though, it'll be one of the many things I'll be trying out on Thursday when the phone turns up :grin:

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Excellent thanks. I can't check myself at the moment as I don't have the handset yet! Cheers for the info though, it'll be one of the many things I'll be trying out on Thursday when the phone turns up :grin:
Do you have a Windows 8.1 PC too? If so, you have the ultimate ecosystem setup :) your contacts, calendar, Internet Explorer tabs, history, phone theme, accent, settings, app settings, etc will be synchronised between your phone 📱 and PC 💻😊

P.S. You need to install this application on your PC 💻 to mirror the screen of your phone and control it via mouse 🐭 -

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D42536&token=EyeF2KG0

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a Windows 8.1 PC too? If so, you have the ultimate ecosystem setup :) your contacts, calendar, Internet Explorer tabs, history, phone theme, accent, settings, app settings, etc will be synchronised between your phone �� and PC ����

P.S. You need to install this application on your PC �� to mirror the screen of your phone and control it via mouse �� -

Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center

I'm afraid I don't, though it is tempting to move from Windows 7 to 8.1 due to what you've listed above. I'll look into upgrading soon I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb