Downloaded map, but Here Maps still using data?

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I got my Lumia 920, updated to 8.1 DP, and dutifully downloaded the map for my home state. I expected that would allow me to roam the city (garage sale hunting) without using my limited AT&T GoPhone data. However, over the course of the weekend using Here Maps, I found I used up over 200 mb of cellular data.

Using the app, I searched for addresses and directions from my current location. I didn't use Drive+ so, no voice navigation or traffic reports, etc.

I was using other Internet apps, but looking at Data Sense, I see that Here Maps sucked all the data.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I got my Lumia 920, updated to 8.1 DP, and dutifully downloaded the map for my home state. I expected that would allow me to roam the city (garage sale hunting) without using my limited AT&T GoPhone data. However, over the course of the weekend using Here Maps, I found I used up over 200 mb of cellular data.

Using the app, I searched for addresses and directions from my current location. I didn't use Drive+ so, no voice navigation or traffic reports, etc.

I was using other Internet apps, but looking at Data Sense, I see that Here Maps sucked all the data.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

That's really weird, I have the map downloaded for my country and yet when I went on a roadtrip I only ended up using 20MB according to Data Sense. If you have data on, Here Maps (for some reason) will still use some data (probably to preload things that can't be taken offline, like reviews and photos for nearby places). However if you use Here Drive, there is an offline switch that WILL NOT use any data at all (I've tested this and it doesn't lie) - go to Here Drive, swipe the large grid panel down and you'll see an internet connection 'button'.

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hum. Do you recall if you were using Here Maps or Drive? (And are you on 8.1?) As we were wandering between fairly close locations, the Maps interface was better suited than Drive.

We did confirm Here Maps will work without a live data connection (or in airplane mode) so, I don't know why it should have been using data while data was on and we were on the road.

Samadvs

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hum. Do you recall if you were using Here Maps or Drive? (And are you on 8.1?) As we were wandering between fairly close locations, the Maps interface was better suited than Drive.

We did confirm Here Maps will work without a live data connection (or in airplane mode) so, I don't know why it should have been using data while data was on and we were on the road.

If data is on here drive use data. If it is off here drive work offline

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
A similar issue popped up a while ago on here (can't for the life of me find the thread I posted in), but in Drive settings you can tell it to use offline mode (go into Internet connection and set it to off). However things like live traffic updates and My Commute won't work as it pulls that information down from 'tinterwebs.

If you're feeling doubly paranoid about data usage, go into the mobile/cellular settings and just turn off the data connection whilst you're driving.

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
?.. in Drive settings you can tell it to use offline mode (go into Internet connection and set it to off). However things like live traffic updates and My Commute won't work as it pulls that information down from 'tinterwebs.

If you're feeling doubly paranoid about data usage, go into the mobile/cellular settings and just turn off the data connection whilst you're driving.

As I said, we were using Here Maps app, not Drive. Turning off all Internet is not a solution as, in this example, we were searching CraigsList for our next destination. I saw the option to turn off Internet in Drive, but the interface is not conducive to the more rambling style. I could not find a similar option in Here Maps.

It seems a poor implementation to have map data locally, but still fetch it when Internet is on. A better way would be to check map data versions at session start and alert the user when the local data is out of date, giving them the choice to use local or not.

Are there any other map apps that better handle local map data?

WONOW

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I 've just discover the same problem today. Here maps (not drive+, not here transit) used 30meg of my data plan during the last two days even if I had the maps (updated) on my nokia to use them offline. Bad news and I don't know why..I'm using Nokia 920 with WP 8.1 GDR1

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You're lucky it was only 30mb! I used over 120mb. This was mid-month and I was then out of data for the month! Why does Drive allow you to turn off data use, but Maps does not?!?

WONOW

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
:) yes lucky only 30mb, but during only the last two days, last week 30 again for only one use!..I don't understand why, if you download first the maps to use them offline, HERE doesn't have to use your data plan. Drive allow to turn off data use only if you don't want to use traffic etc but not the maps..

WONOW

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
well: "But offline map data is not as comprehensive as online data. So, if you perform a search, it will search online map data instead of off line map data if connection is available."
look at "here-maps-data-consumption" on wpcentral forum...
very bad news if it true. you can use your offline maps without search adress..very useful !

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
...look at "here-maps-data-consumption" on wpcentral forum...
very bad news if it true. you can use your offline maps without search adress..very useful !

So, this problem has existed for some time. It makes no sense! I call BS on the "offline map data is not as comprehensive as online data" comment. I can turn off data on the phone (sim) and search and get directions with Here Maps

WONOW

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I've got an answer from "HERE":
"Because the memory capacity of phones is limited, it's not feasible to have all the information downloaded to the phone. Therefore, when internet connection is available the search will tap into the cloud service for more information."

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, wonow. Where did you find that? I still call BS as we all know the basic functionality works fine without a data connection. And Drive+ gets an option to turn off data. If its good enough for some apps, why not Here Maps??

I ask again, are there other offline maps apps that won't eat my data (other than Drive)?

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Common sense... if you want fresh data (for example, traffic), it is impossible that an offline map can bring this information.

I have tested myself and with all off (wifi and cellular data) I can search for places on Here Maps (not Drive+).

An offline map can't do magic.

WONOW

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I can't insert a link here..^^ see the page call on 360-dot-here-dot-com "here-maps-for-windows-phone-8-walk-through" an answer from Jere "here's team guy"..

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why. I only use Drive+ offline and have no problems finding addresses.

My issue, with Maps, is that you can cannot set offline as the default, as you can with Drive+. If you forget to turn off data, you could be in for a nasty surprise, on your next bill.

Elleni BF

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Not sure why. I only use Drive+ offline and have no problems finding addresses.

My issue, with Maps, is that you can cannot set offline as the default, as you can with Drive+. If you forget to turn off data, you could be in for a nasty surprise, on your next bill.
Yes, this is what we've been saying!! (Haven't we?) I don't like Drive for map browsing, Maps and Here Maps are better for browsing, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos