Google keep alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I just recently switched to a 930 from my old trusted note 2.
I've found good replacements for most of my apps, except for google keep.

I used it because it was very easy to scroll through to remind myself of things to do(used the widget on the home screen), and it took litteraly seconds to add new things to remember. I also used it to cross off items when I was done with them. Oh, and the reminder was also very nice if I put a dead-line for any of my tasks.
It was perfect as I could add to the list when I was home at my computer also since it was in the cloud.

I've tried a few apps I found in the market place, but all of them take too long time to add reminders with, or they try to do too much (I dont need all the bells and whistles of Onenote, which is very over-complicated for my simple needs). Or, they dont sync to the cloud.

Does anyone know of any simple task manager(todo-list) which is as easy and quick to use as google keep ?

Thanks

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Im guessin youre trying to promote Evernote? tried it, still too cumbersome to just put in some quick reminders in a list. I dont want to micro-manage the list (I had to add checkboxes manually for each item in Evernote and the timed reminder was a small text I'm supposed to be able to push with my big fingers).
Maybe I'll give it a try again tho...any other suggestions ? Or maybe I'm just too picky.

alphablue597

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
You don't need alternatives, when you have OneNote. I use it every day and it works great, it's very easy to add note, picture, audio etc. Also it works great with office lenses...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I've found OneNote to be the best.
Desktop OneNote was initially intimidating years ago for me, but you don't have to use the bells and whistles.

It's invaluable, even for my primarily small-text-blurb usage.

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'll just try to force my self to use it then, see if it becomes any easier. I know it syncs to the cloud at least :) But how do I add a reminder to a certain task ?

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I faced the same problem, thought about it and realised I didn't need to sync between devices. I found an app called RemindMe ToDo. You can set up any number of lists and pin each one to the start screen. A nice feature is the font size on the tile decreases to fit more items, but it doesn't go too small. Lists are checklists and can have reminders set if desired. Does just enough to be useful and not too much to be complicated.

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
try List & Things. I swear by it, one of my favorites. Awesome reviews too!

Wow...that's, awesome... :D Tried out the app quickly, seems very good so far! I created only 1 list, but added several items to it, and each item can have it's own reminder which is exactly like I want it.

I do not like the time picker in WP since it takes too long time and is many times too exact(my reminders doesn't need to be down to the minute, like Google keep its enough to choose between 5 minutes increments, but that is just a bonus, so I wont disregard the app because of that :) Thanks again!

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Great, glad it worked for you. While it is clearly a to-do list, it further excels as a list manager. Any use that can be translated to a structured list is perfect. For example, I also use it to log auto expenses and incidents. Also, have another list to keep track of new words in a new language I'm learning. Another list for WP8 tips and whatever. Even though OneNote is also a favorite of mine, I end of using OneNote for unstructured data, List & Things for structured data. Hope it grows on you like it did for me.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Just had a look to see if it was indeed better than my recommendation of Remind Me ToDo. I can't get it to actually display the contents of a list on the start screen. How do you do this? All my tile says is like '2 items'

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just had a look to see if it was indeed better than my recommendation of Remind Me ToDo. I can't get it to actually display the contents of a list on the start screen. How do you do this? All my tile says is like '2 items'

are you asking whether you can display the list items on a live tile? I don't use that feature but in checking it out, looks like there are options. Pick a list, tap the pin button, and check out Double sided tile, and the next option, Content displayed on the live tile.

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
are you asking whether you can display the list items on a live tile? I don't use that feature but in checking it out, looks like there are options. Pick a list, tap the pin button, and check out Double sided tile, and the next option, Content displayed on the live tile.

Works very well indeed, been using that.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Gave it a try but couldn't see how it was better than RemindMe Todo. Nischi85, what did you think of RemindMe Todo?

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I tried it before RemindMe Todo. However, I just tried it out now, it's pretty good. But I had 2 annoying things, that stuck with me.
First, whatever I did during the creating of a task(like adjusting the reminder time), the keyboard input always jumped back to the title, thus taking up the screen space again. Leading me to my second complaint.

In order to continue further down to set reminder off/on , due date and notes I have to touch in a black space to remove the keyboard. This repeated behavior lead me 2 times to accidentally push the "arrow todo" up in the left, discarding the note I nearly was done with.

I need to take notes down fast, and sometimes on the go, I can't be bothered with small things like that, I just need it to work, be made for finger input with a small screen, not with high precision and patience. This goes for a lot of apps actually, which is sad to see, only a few out there get it right for these devices(phones).

Sorry for the rant, got a lot of frustration from bad app interaction design(this app is not one of the bad ones)

/Edit. What lists &things is lacking is the due date visible on the todo-lists. Leaving me having to jump in to each one in order to see the date and time. RemindMe ToDo does this really well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs