The ridiculous hype for a terrible lock screen app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You are missing the point

Almost all recent apps from MS are laggy.
Take an example Xbox apps.
How many months since these apps are released but still offer laagy users experience .
What message these laggy apps send in market that MS who made WP not able to make it's core OS apps smooth in four months.

And now they added one more app in this list.
How do you know that this app is not going share similar fate as Xbox apps?

The new Xbox 8.1 apps have been available sine may when the developers preview was released. So 2 months.

And If you've used Rudy's apps (6tag,6snap,6tag,6tin) you'll know that he's a dedicated WP developer. He won't abandon the app. He even said that he was going to fix it on twitter.

But Xbox is a different story. We have no idea how to contact the devs of the apps and even the biweekly updates haven't fixed much.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The new Xbox 8.1 apps have been available sine may when the developers preview was released. So 2 months.

And If you've used Rudy's apps (6tag,6snap,6tag,6tin) you'll know that he's a dedicated WP developer. He won't abandon the app. He even said that he was going to fix it on twitter.

But Xbox is a different story. We have no idea how to contact the devs of the apps and even the biweekly updates haven't fixed much.

Xbox Music and Video was released 12/18/2013. See here:
Microsoft publishes Xbox Music app for Windows Phone 8, focused on the cloud | Windows Phone Central
Microsoft releases Xbox Video app for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central
Xbox Music and Video apps for Windows Phone 8 hands on | Windows Phone Central

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Nice. Just posted this on the frontpage:
Lol, everything we get from MS lately is labeled BETA. Nice way to get away with bugs. Everything released to the general public by MS is beta at the moment. It is nice tho. You try to give feedback on forums or whatever, and you get troutslapped by users screaming at you that u should be thankfull you are even getting stuff and u should keep it shut cause it's beta.
Applies so much to this topic, haha

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
haha says who?

Like all large companies MS uses Big Data, they gather every single tweet, all forum messages with key words in sentences eg "Cortana" "problem" "rubbish" etc etc and compare to product releases, changes, announcements, to get an overall picture of how the world is reacting. The marketing, promotions and sales teams then use this information to plan sell to us. Apple have a great system already in place whereas MS is building and refining theirs, its very complex and costs hundreds of millions and takes time to do. The Nokia devices arm 100% uses Teradata as a platform (one of my companies supplied experts in this field to them) and there will of course be employees watching forums to see reactions as well.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Meanwhile, at Microsoft HQ;

Person 1: "Perhaps now is the time to tell everyone Windows Phone itself has been a beta all along..."
Person 2: "I thought WP7 was the beta?"
Person 1: "No, that was alpha!"

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I was expecting something good with the lock screen app. I got really disappointed because there is little difference to the default lock screen. Finally decided to uninstall it when I saw the stars as icons.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Any developers here? I am, and I fully empathise with the developers of this app. Developing things like this can take tons and tons of time. I think Microsoft just couldn't push the release any further because of the hype and went with the build they had. I think Rudy and the Windows Phone team are doing the very best they can and I think it's unfair to bash them without knowing the full situation.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Any developers here? I am, and I fully empathise with the developers of this app. Developing things like this can take tons and tons of time. I think Microsoft just couldn't push the release any further because of the hype and went with the build they had. I think Rudy and the Windows Phone team are doing the very best they can and I think it's unfair to bash them without knowing the full situation.

Lesson to be learnt is that if your a great developer with a great reputation the one way to ruin that is to be associated with MS on Beta release apps. We know Rudy as a great dev, the general public who don't will see his name against an app that's crap, however unfair, that's the reality.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Lesson to be learnt is that if your a great developer with a great reputation the one way to ruin that is to be associated with MS on Beta release apps. We know Rudy as a great dev, the general public who don't will see his name against an app that's crap, however unfair, that's the reality.
No. Lesson to be learned is its a beta and people need to realise that and stop being self entitled pricks. Just sayin' :p

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
No. Lesson to be learned is its a beta and people need to realise that and stop being self entitled pricks. Just sayin' :p

Okay let's say we wave all problems and complaints away with 'okay it is beta', then I guess we are allowed to complain about the endless waiting for an official or decent functioning version?

So far all these so called beta things aren't getting out of beta or there is no hope given for improvement.

I mean who the hell knows when WP users will get an acceptable music experience? Maybe a decent lock screen app in 2015? Maybe a decent Facebook app in 2018?

Some day we will get tired of waiting and tired of the beta tag.

Maybe they should learn to not create a hype and then tweet out load for everyone to download the beta.
Maybe they should not tease this stuff at a grand event like BUILD, while they are not even sure they can deliver.

Beta releases are becoming so common, that every single new products is first released as a beta.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

To be honest, that guy is as hyped up as this app. Yes, he's been supportive of wp, but his apps aren't that great. Good, but not great. I've seen other devs make better apps.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, the lackscreen app in my opinion is pretty bad. The animations aren't smooth, or as fluid as the standard...the movement is just odd and doesnt feel right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb