Audible no longer working

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with Audible since upgrading to 8.1 with cyan? The app simply won't play anymore. I've tried uninstall and reinstall and it just just hangs when I start my book. I'm on an AT&T 1520.

bigmoneymike

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am a die hard Audible customer, and the state of the WP Audible application makes me want to puke. Half of the time on my 1520, I hit play and nothing happens. I mean, the icon shows playing but nothing is happening. Then, out of the blue it will start to play. Further, there are numerous times the book will start over and my place is lost. I experience none of these issue on my work issued iPhone. The experience is smooth as silk. How about that...

Mike

Gerrok

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just finished a book and tried to get the next in the series. Audible won't refresh my book list anymore after updating to 8.1 cyan. :(. The internal store app isn't working either.

Nokia 1020 on at&t with developer preview.

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Have any of you found a substitute for audible?

As Amazon own audible I can't see the app being fixed any time soon.

I have been complaining for over eight months now. Nothing has been done about it. All I get is they are sorry.

So I need to find an alternative place to buy audio books.
Buying from the publishers is too expensive.

So if the bugs that have been on it for nearly a year haven't been fixed, I wouldn't hold my breath that it ever working on 8.1.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

neitin

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with audible. I used to remove drm using ondersoft's app but is a time consuming exercise. Now I bought an iPod nano made my life easy

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I am a die hard Audible customer, and the state of the WP Audible application makes me want to puke. Half of the time on my 1520, I hit play and nothing happens. I mean, the icon shows playing but nothing is happening. Then, out of the blue it will start to play. Further, there are numerous times the book will start over and my place is lost. I experience none of these issue on my work issued iPhone. The experience is smooth as silk. How about that...

Mike

New comer to audible here- I agree their app is horrendous. I bookmark like crazy because navigating the book is arduous and even unreliable.

ford7393

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I also have Lumia 1520 running WP 8.1 Cyan and am having issues with the Audible app. I reported the issue to Audible and this is the last response that I received:

Thank you very much for the reply and feedback regarding the behavior. Please note the developer preview is basically a Beta Version. The mobile app cannot be based off changes within the Beta, as usually the final release goes through more changes. The behavior the app is encountering seems to be in relation when its attempting to sync the positions of the audiobook with our services. If a book is downloaded and played, it will play through successfully, until the item is paused, and then resumed. I apologize there is no estimated time on when the update release will be available to address the behavior. Once an update is provided, notification will be sent regarding the audible app on Windows Phone. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email so I may further assist you.

Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for the update!

nicolas_as

May 30, 2014
Visit site
This is a Nokia related problem for sure. On my Samsung Ativ S audible works 90% of the time, but on my Lumia 930 i hit play and the app die

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I also have Lumia 1520 running WP 8.1 Cyan and am having issues with the Audible app. I reported the issue to Audible and this is the last response that I received:

Thank you very much for the reply and feedback regarding the behavior. Please note the developer preview is basically a Beta Version. The mobile app cannot be based off changes within the Beta, as usually the final release goes through more changes. The behavior the app is encountering seems to be in relation when its attempting to sync the positions of the audiobook with our services. If a book is downloaded and played, it will play through successfully, until the item is paused, and then resumed. I apologize there is no estimated time on when the update release will be available to address the behavior. Once an update is provided, notification will be sent regarding the audible app on Windows Phone. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email so I may further assist you.

Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for the update!

Gah someone smack them. The "beta" if you can call it that, is in part FOR developers who want to get their app ready for the newest OS update. "Cannot be based off changes in the beta" my ***. Email them back and tell them I said that.

Adam.Sulli

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Well this is bittersweet. I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this, but this sucks. The app has become useless. I was on the DP, but rolledback to the at&t update so that I could get Cyan on my 1520. Then reenlisted the DP updates post 8.1. Here's a workable, but not realistic fix. Make a bookmark for your current location. Uninstall the app. Reinstall. Download your book. It will ask you if you want to sync to last know position. Say no. Then use your bookmark to go to your location. However, after a long pause, you will be back to an unresponsive book.

bryanrmorris

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with Audible since upgrading to 8.1 with cyan? The app simply won't play anymore. I've tried uninstall and reinstall and it just just hangs when I start my book. I'm on an AT&T 1520.

Audible has been buggy forever. But after the 8.1 update it's even worse. Ironically, OverDrive got better with 8.1. I just cancelled my Audible subscription because they told me they had no idea when they were going to update the app. One thing that sometimes works when a book won't play is to start playing a different book then go back to the one you wanted to play. Good luck.

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
This behavior occurs on both my 1520 and my HTC one m8. Interestingly, once the book becomes frozen, it is frozen on both phones until I uninstall and reinstall the book.

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been an Audible customer since 2003. I'm really tired of this.

My first windows phone was a Samsung Focus, Audible worked when they first released it. I was overjoyed, since downloading books to the desktop pc and converting it on my older devices was tedious.

My second windows phone was the Nokia Lumia 900. I loved that phone, it survived so much and did everything I needed except run Audible correctly. Always little bugs, but I got over it.

I briefly went over to Android with the Galaxy S4, figuring once 8.1/cyan comes out, I'd return to Windows with whichever Nokia flagship was out there. The one app I looked forward to most was the new Audible, which compared to the version on wp7 seemed to be so much more robust, sync properly, and have even more controls than the Android version (it does, oddly enough have more than the Android version).

And here we are again, I love this Nokia 1520, it's practically replaced my laptop to be honest. A longtime, paying, loyal customer. I'm sick of big business. Windows Phone isn't a passing fad, Amazon needs to fix this and make it right. I have a lot of money in credits and for me audio books are for my daily commute, 45m each way. I can't bookmark/uninstall/reinstall or burn through my data re-downloading, it's not practical.

We have to find a way to get the attention of someone important at Amazon.

Last edited:

melzappICTServ

May 31, 2014
Visit site
There are other issues that may be related to those noted. Send audible a bug report (ellipsis > settings and support > help > send bug report) and add "customercare(at)audible.co.uk" to the cc field. You can try resetting ( ....> help > reset app) the app and rebooting the device. Their dev team is taking issues for the app with these affected devices. Seems specific to 8.1 on 930 and 1520, maybe some 1020

melzappICTServ

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
There are other issues that may be related to those noted. Send audible a bug report (ellipsis > settings and support > help > send bug report) and add "customercare(at)audible.co.uk" to the cc field. You can try resetting ( ....> help > reset app) the app and rebooting the device. Their dev team is taking issues for the app with these affected devices. Seems specific to 8.1 on 930 and 1520, maybe some 1020

melzappICTServ

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

I have been sending bug reports, emails and phoning them since November 2013. So it has nothing to do with wp8.1 and everything to do with the Audible app.

The app may be worse in wp8.1 but this problem has been a major issue for me on a lumia 925 running wp8 .

Amazon are doing nothing about it.

What annoys me most is the monopoly Amazon have regarding any audio book. There is no company that I can purchase audio books from. I can't afford ?20 odd for one book.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

parrim

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a work around until Audible updates their app. This fix works on y Lumia 1520 running Cyan.

If Audible fails to play a title after you have preciously paised it follow these steps:
1. Go into the title and remember your time stamp so that you can jump to where you left off after you get Audible running again.
2. Delete the title from your phone
3. Download the title back to your phone. Important... Do not attempt to start the title while or after it downloads.
4. Force shutdown Audible App. You can do this by going into card view and pressing the X icon on screen
5. Go into airplane mode
6. Only after you are in Airplane mode start Audible, find your title and begin playback. Feel free to jump to your last location.
7. Only now, turn off Airplane mode

Its not pretty but its the only solution I can find. Even removing the entire Audible App and re-installing will not solve the issue. Audible seems to be entering an endless loop of syncing your book location with the server. Following the steps above breaks the cycle,

Happy listening....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo