App gap - level: international

rtotheich

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello all

I've been a Windows Phone fan and owner since I bought my Samsung Focus on launch day, so I've seen the evolution of the app situation from day one. All in all, we have most of what we need and of course I don't care about the fart apps that Android and iOS have plenty of. What I am somewhat annoyed about are carrier-specific apps, specifically in France, where I've been working and studying for two years. I have an unlocked Lumia 920 so I've been able to swap out SIM cards as I roam the globe, even custom-cutting micro-sims when traveling to other countries in Europe and North Africa. Overall, I am MORE impressed with the app situation over there. Nearly every bank in France has a Windows Phone App :excited: BNP Paribas, BRED Banque Populaire, Banque Postale, Soci?t? G?n?rale, Boursarama, just to name a few. How many are there in the US? The SNCF national rail network app is gorgeous and works well. Besides that, indie developers have real-time metro and bus tracking in Paris down to a science! I don't even know if the other guys have apps that look as nice. It's no surprise because when I take a quick glance in the metro, I might see as many as 10 or 12 people with a Windows Phone in hand (most commonly a Lumia 1020, 520, or 800 to be exact). They really do seem to support WP over there. Now the bad part: carriers have come up with all sorts of neat solutions for smartphone users. Need to call and text people in France but you aren't in there? (my summer) There's a wi-fi calling app for that. Want visual voicemail? App for that too. Only problem is that the apps are on iOS and Android :angry: This is extremely frustrating because on some of the sites, a Windows Phone like the Lumia 1020 is the front and center "upgrade to this phone" poster-child. They have troubleshooting guides and support manuals for setting up things like MMS, all device-specific and available for Windows Phone. They are clearly supported. Why aren't we getting any of these apps?? I know, the response would probably be "just find some 3rd party apps that do the trick". Well guess what? Magikmail (the youmail visual voicemail client) only works with US numbers and the wifi calling app is probably too secure to have that feature available. So as much as Nokia and Microsoft have been claiming that the app gap doesn't exist anymore, I would argue that it does. Anyone else agree?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the carriers aren't providing apps for WP because some of the features wouldn't work because of OS restrictions. Maybe developing apps for WP is more difficult (or maybe they don't have Windows 8 computers!:cool:). I don't know. If WP is popular there must be a reason besides market share. Some European countries have more WPs than iPhones.

rtotheich

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I do believe that the OS restrictions limit possibilities for several other types of applications. Perhaps they make it difficult too to develop apps like this, but I don't believe that something like Wifi calling would not be available. It exists on T-mobile in the US on Windows Phone. Visual voicemail is enabled on AT&T in the US too. Carrier billing apps are just a no-brainer ^^ my guess is they can't get enough devs who have the know-how and actually want to develop, nor do carriers want to fork over the money for it :angry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes