11-06-2014 08:25 AM
135 12345 ...
tools
    One criticism I do have is that practically all apps I use on WP have important features missing, or just underperform overall.
    Can you give examples?

I'm genuinely happy with all the apps I use on a daily basis. The only thing I can think of that actually bugs me is not being able to post photo comments in Facebook, but I'm sure that will turn up in due course.

For everything else, I'm entirely satisfied with what I've found. Maybe I just have very light requirements, but my Lumia 930 is the best phone experience I've had to date; last Android phone I had was a Galaxy S3, and the last iPhone I had was the 5, so I'm reasonably aware of what's going on with the other platforms except the last 8-10 months or so where I haven't had either an Android or an iOS device.

As an aside, I sold my iPad, bought a Surface Pro and I am similarly delighted with that too.
    08-05-2014 01:24 PM
    The day I can play World of Warcraft from my cellphone will be the day I will say that X mobile OS has no app gap... if I still play WoW by then. So far that's the only thing WP is missing for me.
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 01:26 PM
    Can you give examples?

I'm genuinely happy with all the apps I use on a daily basis. The only thing I can think of that actually bugs me is not being able to post photo comments in Facebook, but I'm sure that will turn up in due course.
    As an aside, I sold my iPad, bought a Surface Pro and I am similarly delighted with that too.
    My wife has a Lumia 1020 and uses FB a lot (she has Android and BB background); she gets everything done with the web page but to upload photos or videos.

By the way, I'm glad to read that you liked the 930 a lot. I'm still thinking in getting one or not.
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 01:35 PM
    I'm still thinking in getting one or not.
    I absolutely love it. Was considering hanging onto my trusty 920 and waiting to see what the first post-Nokia-acquisition, fully-Microsoft phone turned out like. I'd love to see a Surface-esque Phone. I got impatient though.

Pretty sure if you're into WinPho you won't be disappointed.
    08-05-2014 01:40 PM
    Can you give examples?

For everything else, I'm entirely satisfied with what I've found. Maybe I just have very light requirements, but my Lumia 930 is the best phone experience I've had to date; last Android phone I had was a Galaxy S3, and the last iPhone I had was the 5, so I'm reasonably aware of what's going on with the other platforms except the last 8-10 months or so where I haven't had either an Android or an iOS device.

Sure. No videos on Instagram, no comments with photos on Facebook (nor can you see when someone posts one, so if they do, you're left out of the conversation), no save for offline use on Box, clicking on the comments section on Engadget takes you to their mobile webpage, Here Drive (comparing to Google Navigation) won't let you re-route, even if you drive way off the chosen path it keeps trying to bring you back onto it, you can't change routes on Waze without canceling the one you're on, Facebook Messenger is slower and won't let you send voice messages, Skype won't let you exchange files (that's actually embarrassing), twitter app feels unfinished (for example, during the World Cup, clicking on a #country on iOS or Android would take you to a mini page inside twitter where you could follow games and discussions in real time). Nothing I absolutely can't live without. But on the whole, it feels lacking. I hope they focus more on bringing these apps up to speed with their counterparts than on simply increasing the number of apps in the store.

I'm happy you're enjoying your 930. WP 8.1 was a very nice and needed update.
    evilrob, BRC1711, Arka1412 and 1 others like this.
    08-05-2014 02:17 PM
    Here Drive (comparing to Google Navigation) won't let you re-route, even if you drive way off the chosen path it keeps trying to bring you back onto it
    Ah, you got me on this one - this is seriously annoying.
    08-05-2014 02:21 PM
    Ah, you got me on this one - this is seriously annoying.
    Why don't you use Waze? It's way better than anything else.
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 02:32 PM
    Why don't you use Waze? It's way better than anything else.
    I'd never even heard of it. I'll give it a go - cheers!
    08-05-2014 03:02 PM
    Mi Here Drive+ re-routes in Mexico and USA. I have used back roads without problems but it does try to get me back on the main roads the first turn or two.
    08-05-2014 03:14 PM
    To the OP I really liked your enthusiasm for WP...Sure the app gap is decreasing but the top apps of WP sucks and missing many features..Microsoft should give their priority on quality rather than on quantity...8.1 update is released but still we cant send and receive pre recorded videos(except whatsapp) and mp3 on IM apps..
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 03:18 PM
    To the OP I really liked your enthusiasm for WP...Sure the app gap is decreasing but the top apps of WP sucks and missing many features..Microsoft should give their priority on quality rather than on quantity...8.1 update is released but still we cant send and receive pre recorded videos(except whatsapp) and mp3 on IM apps..
    You're comparing a 3 year old OS to other more mature ones? Do you remember when iOS came out? It wasn't that long ago that they didn't even have copy/paste. It's a pointless argument, if you want to use iPhone or Android and have access to countless crappy apps you're free to do so. If you don't like WP, fine, I fail to see what your point is, that you're somehow superior and more intelligent? For what?
    08-06-2014 12:06 AM
    I heard the same "Coming Soon" reply from Citibank India as well. Guess what, it has been 10 months since then :-)
    I am LUCKY! Official Kotak Mahindra Bank Now Available For Download From Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser :D :D
    08-06-2014 02:17 AM
    Here Drive (comparing to Google Navigation) won't let you re-route, even if you drive way off the chosen path it keeps trying to bring you back onto it,
    Well, my Here Drive does re-route. In Pune, India
    prasath1234 likes this.
    08-06-2014 02:19 AM
    You're comparing a 3 year old OS to other more mature ones? Do you remember when iOS came out? It wasn't that long ago that they didn't even have copy/paste. It's a pointless argument, if you want to use iPhone or Android and have access to countless crappy apps you're free to do so. If you don't like WP, fine, I fail to see what your point is, that you're somehow superior and more intelligent? For what?
    And Windows Phone is doing just fine because there's no worthy competitor. Just like Windows Mobile is just fine when iPhone is released. There's no threat to be worried about.

Why is request for apps always got turned into accusation that we hate Windows Phone or want it to be Android or iPhone ?
    We only want the apps, not iPhone or Android.

Windows Phone also have its share of crappy apps in the marketplace.
    But the issue is no longer quantity of the apps in the store, but the availability of apps that potential users wanted.
    Arka1412 and giulianoreali like this.
    08-06-2014 02:57 AM
    What makes you think I don't like WP? If I want to move to android or ios, I'd do so for that I don't need to take anyone's advice..We all know WP is a new Os but as an user we should expect( after having patience for more than 3yrs ) to do basic features and have quality apps..Android as a OS maybe laggy but their apps are not crappy..And Ios is famous for their app store..You really failed to see my point otherwise u wouldn't have said those things..
    smoledman likes this.
    08-06-2014 03:20 AM
    Originally posted by evilrob
    Wunderlist looks pretty nice:

I had a good play with this yesterday, seems to do the job - if any Windows Phone-rs needs a good cross-platform list-making app with collaboration features (e.g. sharing a shopping list with the Mrs or something) - it's probably about as straightforward as it gets.
    08-06-2014 05:14 AM
    There is an obvious App gap based on numbers only for clear as day reasons, but with the availability of alternatives that gap is closing somewhat in WP. The main talking point shouldn't be about the number of apps between OSes but the quality of Apps between them. I couldn't careless if both Android and IOS had 500,000+ apps more than WP, what I and I hope you too as well want is that the QUALITY/FUNCTIONALITY from the apps found on all 3 OSes are the same in look and operational usage. I've recently downloaded flightradar24 on my WP8 L920 because I work at the Airport in my Country in the Caribbean and I found that it's close but not touching distance close to the one found on a work-mate's IOS version. As he turned his on every plane that was in the air showed up almost immediately on his screen complete with tail tags, on mine it took a while for about less than 10 to show up in the same area and I don't have the tags to show just by looking at the screen who was who. I bought add ons but his was more functional as like I said he had tags to say which was what. That's an example of how the quality difference is between the apps found on android and ios and those found on WP. Another example i have at work is facebook messenger. The one found on android (Sony Xperia Z1) has a phone icon whereas none found on the the WP version of the latest updated facebook messenger, so there's another example as to it's MORE important to have the QUALITY of app experience more than having the QUANTITY of app experience as most of those same 000,000+ apps are hardly ever used!!!!

Just my 2 cents.
    08-06-2014 05:36 AM
    That was true until Viber updated their IM feature within it's APP.
    08-06-2014 05:39 AM
    There is an obvious App gap based on numbers only for clear as day reasons, but with the availability of alternatives that gap is closing somewhat in WP. The main talking point shouldn't be about the number of apps between OSes but the quality of Apps between them. I couldn't careless if both Android and IOS had 500,000+ apps more than WP, what I and I hope you too as well want is that the QUALITY/FUNCTIONALITY from the apps found on all 3 OSes are the same in look and operational usage. I've recently downloaded flightradar24 on my WP8 L920 because I work at the Airport in my Country in the Caribbean and I found that it's close but not touching distance close to the one found on a work-mate's IOS version. As he turned his on every plane that was in the air showed up almost immediately on his screen complete with tail tags, on mine it took a while for about less than 10 to show up in the same area and I don't have the tags to show just by looking at the screen who was who. I bought add ons but his was more functional as like I said he had tags to say which was what. That's an example of how the quality difference is between the apps found on android and ios and those found on WP. Another example i have at work is facebook messenger. The one found on android (Sony Xperia Z1) has a phone icon whereas none found on the the WP version of the latest updated facebook messenger, so there's another example as to it's MORE important to have the QUALITY of app experience more than having the QUANTITY of app experience as most of those same 000,000+ apps are hardly ever used!!!!

Just my 2 cents.
    Here here!!!
    08-06-2014 07:41 AM
    There is still an app gap but it's not as bad as it was 3 years ago. However everyone agrees there is definitely a quality gap due to WP having low market share.
    tgp, evilrob and rdubmu like this.
    08-06-2014 02:11 PM
    There is still an app gap but it's not as bad as it was 3 years ago. However everyone agrees there is definitely a quality gap due to WP having low market share.
    This is exactly how I'd say it. Except I might not say that "everyone" agrees!
    08-06-2014 02:21 PM
    It's really what you're looking for from the apps. I have all that I need, and I know it's getting a lot better.
    Plus, you're looking at the numbers, and how many apps iOS and Android have, but how many of those apps are really useful? From what I've seen, Microsoft is really good at have quality apps where they do have apps.
    evilrob likes this.
    08-06-2014 02:29 PM
    It's really what you're looking for from the apps. I have all that I need, and I know it's getting a lot better.
    Plus, you're looking at the numbers, and how many apps iOS and Android have, but how many of those apps are really useful? From what I've seen, Microsoft is really good at have quality apps where they do have apps.
    No quality in the apps idk what you talking about
    08-06-2014 02:31 PM
    Biggest gaps for me are
    * a good PDF reader (I really like ezPDF for Android. There's nothing for WP that comes remotely close)
    * WatchESPN
    * ability to stream live YouTube content
    * BECU, Costco... (would only occasionally use either, but it's grating that these companies are basically next door to Microsoft headquarters with no WP support)
    08-06-2014 02:36 PM
    It's one thing being a fanboy, it's another thing being blind. Of course there is a gap, not only in quantity but also in quality compared to the other OSes (obvious example being imdb). There are also apps that come so late to WP, no one cares about them anymore (obvious example Draw Something). Remember when Threes was announced for WP8? What about Flipboard? Sure there are alternatives to some missing apps but that's no good to potential customers, they check for the official stuff before they make their phone purchase and rightfully so. Oh and don't make me start about Betas.
    Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    colinkiama and sl1ckNY13 like this.
    08-06-2014 02:44 PM
135 12345 ...