11-06-2014 08:25 AM
135 123 ...
tools
    It irks me that the 'app gap' argument continues to rear its ugly head. There are loads of apps, many of them have a better-looking UI than their iOS/Android counterparts in my opinion. Personally, I love the way apps look on Windows Phone.

Here's what I currently consider to be the best Windows Phone apps I've used to date (a few are UK-specific, sorry about that - feel free to comment with any I've missed or let me know if this list helped you find a great new app!):

Social networks:

Facebook Beta (actually prefer this to my previous favourite, the iPhone Facebook app)

Instagram (Official)
    --> also available is 6tag, a third party Instagram client which many consider to be better than any Instagram client official or otherwise
    Twitter
    Foursquare
    LinkedIn
    Vine
    --> also available 6sec, third party Vine client
    6snap (Snapchat client)
    6tin (Tindr client)
    Path
    Vyclone

VOIP / Instant Messengers:

WhatsApp
    Line
    IM Pro + (multi-IM client)

BlackBerry Messenger

Fitness:
    Runtastic Pro

Runtastic Push-Ups
    Runtastic Sit-Ups
    Runtastic Pull-ups
    Runtastic Squats
    Fitbit

Trainr
    7 Minute Workout
    100 Pushups
    Total C25K+
    Endomondo - suggested by David P2; thanks!

Shopping:

Amazon
    eBay (and PayPal)

--> there are many more apps that allow you to buy stuff, but I pretty much only buy things from Amazon and eBay these days

Reading:

Nextgen Reader (RSS feed reader - syncs with Feedly, also use the Windows Metro app on my Surface Pro)
    Amazon Kindle
    ReadIt (Reddit client)

Poki (Pocket client)

9gag
    Windows Phone Central (news/forum reader)
    Tapatalk (forum reader)

Productivity:

2Day (GTD task management - syncs with Windows Desktop version)

Wunderlist - suggested by itzkavin; thanks!

OneNote (built-in)
    Evernote (for access to legacy notes - I use OneNote primarily now)
    Cisco WebEx (WebEx client)
    Office (built-in - create/edit word docs, excel spreadsheets etc)

Cloud storage:

OneDrive
    Cloud6 (Dropbox client)
    Nuvola (CloudApp client)

Media:

Netflix

Spotify
    Xbox Music
    Xbox Video
    MetroTube (YouTube client with download facility for offline viewing)
    TuneIn Radio - suggested by itzkavin; thanks!
    MixRadio - suggested by itzkavin; thanks!
    BBC iPlayer
    BBC Radio

ITV Player
    4OD
    Demand 5
    TVCatchup
    VEVO
    Vimeo

GPS / Maps:

HERE Drive+ (Satnav)

HERE Maps
    Geocaching Live

Photography:

Photoshop Express

Phototastic (collage maker)

ProShot (gives you much more granular control over the camera - change exposure, bracketing, white balance etc)
    GoPro (HERO controller app)

Misc:

Blue Skies (really nice Weather app with nice Live Tile)

Insider Pro (if you have Windows Phone, you need this app - battery monitor, flashlight, stopwatch, timer, all sorts)

Cal (really nice Calendar app with nice Live Tile)

Cocktail Flow (nice Cocktail app - tells you what you can make with whatever spirits/mixers you have in stock)
    My EE (has live tile with allowance notifications etc)
    Analog Tile Clock (makes nice looking clock Live Tiles in a variety of styles)
    CamScanner (OCR business cards, anything with text on basically)

JustEat (takeaway app)
    Package Tracker (courier tracking app, can pin deliveries to your start page to keep an eye on them)
    Pocket File Manager (file management app)
    Adobe Reader (PDF viewer)
    Last edited by evilrob; 08-05-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    itzkavin, Arka1412, jomarr and 4 others like this.
    08-05-2014 07:22 AM
    Productivity
    Wunderlist

Shopping
    Flipkart (India)
    IRCTC (Indian Railways Ticketing) (Windows Exclusive)
    National Train Enquiry System (India) (Windows Exclusive)

Music
    MixRadio (Windows Exclusive)
    TuneIn Radio
    evilrob and Raamakrishnan A like this.
    08-05-2014 07:26 AM
    You've got Endomondo as well for the Fitness section - that's cross platform, along with the Adidas one.
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 07:28 AM
    For me, there is an App gap until official Citibank app arrives in store ;-) Other than that, WP is doing excellent job in closing App Gap.
    08-05-2014 07:30 AM
    Productivity
    Wunderlist
    Is there actually a WinPho Wunderlist app? I had a look and couldn't find one. I used to use Wunderlist all the time on iPhone.
    08-05-2014 07:30 AM
    You've got Endomondo as well for the Fitness section - that's cross platform, along with the Adidas one.
    Good call! I'll get it added.
    08-05-2014 07:31 AM
    For me, there is an App gap until official Citibank app arrives in store ;-) Other than that, WP is doing excellent job in closing App Gap.
    I can see how this would be important to some; I actually refuse to do any internet banking over a mobile data connection because I'm paranoid. I only do online banking on my trusted home broadband, and I will only use banks with a two-factor hardware key code generator.

Although I'm not sure why - I'm not exactly loaded so there isn't very much to steal!
    08-05-2014 07:32 AM
    There is still a major app gap. Thou there are many IP pro cam's in the market place my provider only works with one developer (Robert Choi)

Still missing apps for these banks:

Banner Bank, BECU, Scott trade, and a few more that I know that are not yet available on windows phone.

There is ok SMG APP, I need this for work.

It isn't about the amount of apps, it's about the specific apps which creates an app gap. Thanks for putting this together but you have to realize that the app gap isn't for everyone. Business apps and banking apps are surely lacking. My company only develops our apps for iOS and android. When we have a convention: they have this activity app/ and check in app only on iOS and android
    08-05-2014 07:33 AM
    The app gap is more to do with games and banks now. However some official apps are missing features like facebook. You still cant upload or view photos in comments. You don't have the free call feature in messenger. Vine is missing direct messaging,same with instagram, 6sec,6tag and 6snap can never have push notifications. No official snapchat. That's it really. Microsoft have done well.
    08-05-2014 07:33 AM
    Is there actually a WinPho Wunderlist app? I had a look and couldn't find one. I used to use Wunderlist all the time on iPhone.
    It's in beta, it's open beta right now, check out the front page of Wpcentral
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 07:34 AM
    Wunderlist available from this morning for WP8.1.. I have added the link now..
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 07:35 AM
    Kotak Mahindra too.. But they said they 're on the way. :)

https://twitter.com/KotakBankLtd/sta...42755797397505
    08-05-2014 07:37 AM
    Wunderlist available from this morning for WP8.1.. I have added the link now..
    Added. :)
    08-05-2014 07:42 AM
    Kotak Mahindra too.. But they said they 're on the way. :)

https://twitter.com/KotakBankLtd/sta...42755797397505
    I heard the same "Coming Soon" reply from Citibank India as well. Guess what, it has been 10 months since then :-)
    08-05-2014 07:43 AM
    I heard the same "Coming Soon" reply from Citibank India as well. Guess what, it has been 10 months since then :-)
    But the worst part is Kotak has even a BB app but not a mobile website :(
    Ashish Gupta888 likes this.
    08-05-2014 07:45 AM
    @evilrob totally pointless thread.If WP store serves you well then don't think that this is the case for everyone.
    So you are really saying that app gap doesn't exist? Please, for God's sake don't spread wrong info. I'm a WP fan boy and I can't deny the truth that app gap exists.
    Look at the following screenshot.

rdubmu, jonda99 and Tahiti Bob like this.
    08-05-2014 07:51 AM
    @evilrob totally pointless thread.If WP store serves you well then don't think that this is the case for everyone.
    So you are really saying that app gap doesn't exist? Please, for God's sake don't spread wrong info. I'm a WP fan boy and I can't deny the truth that app gap exists.
    Look at the following screenshot.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/8e8e9aru.png
    How old are these stats?
    evilrob and greynightshirt like this.
    08-05-2014 07:57 AM
    How old are these stats?
    I think August 2013.
    08-05-2014 07:59 AM
    I think August 2013.
    I guess its even older than that. Bcoz App Store crossed a million in Oct 2013.. And don't you think 1 year is way too much time for a comparison in present scenario?
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 08:00 AM
    Here, look.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    08-05-2014 08:01 AM
    Windows Phone store crossed 200,000 in Dec 2013 and 400,000 in Apr 2014. Can any maths guy predict the current status by statistics?

My guess is 700,000 at the rate of around 65,000 apps a month.
    TheMightyCraken likes this.
    08-05-2014 08:03 AM
    The app gap is more to do with games and banks now. However some official apps are missing features like facebook. You still cant upload or view photos in comments. You don't have the free call feature in messenger. Vine is missing direct messaging,same with instagram, 6sec,6tag and 6snap can never have push notifications. No official snapchat. That's it really. Microsoft have done well.
    Also many retail store apps, rewards points apps, and security system apps are missing, and point of sale apps like Square. In some cases the mobile website is sufficient; in others it is not or even nonexistent. Of course the big missing thing also are Google apps, which many of us who use Microsoft services could care less about, but apparently many people depend on them and are unwilling to switch.

For me, the current app situation is adequate, but everyone's needs are different.
    rdubmu and evilrob like this.
    08-05-2014 08:03 AM
    I guess its even older than that. Bcoz App Store crossed a million in Oct 2013.. And don't you think 1 year is way too much time for a comparison in present scenario?

I know WP store has grown well in past few months but don't forget that everyday more apps join android/IOS platform than WP.
    Last edited by CrossIsHere; 08-07-2014 at 05:02 AM.
    08-05-2014 08:06 AM
    I know WP store has grown well in past few months but don't forget that everyday double or triple amount of apps join android/IOS platform.
    And twice as many are useless, how many fart apps now?
    08-05-2014 08:08 AM
    They'll always be /that/ one app we don't have that other platforms have... Yes, it's getting better but it's not perfect.

For me, I have the apps I need.
    evilrob likes this.
    08-05-2014 08:10 AM
135 123 ...