A golf app bites the dust

Pbear74

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is already known but after the recent article about the best golf apps for WP I wondered why Golfshot GPS wasn't included. I looked at the app and it hasn't been updated since 2012 and users report that it has stopped working properly which is a shame for an app that costs $19.99. I decided to reach out to them and they actually responded, unfortunately it was bad news.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know of any other golf apps? There are plenty of them on iOS and Android (and Golfshot seems great), but it seems they don't even exist at all anymore on WP. I used Shotly on my Lumia 900, but they too have stopped development and removed their app from the store.

Golfshot even works with Android Wear and said on their FB page they will work with Apple Watch when it comes out. That is an excellent use of wearables, as checking the phone constantly when golfing is a drawback. If MS can't compete, WP will just fall further and further behind.

The app situation is dire when an entire category of apps is just nonexistent... And this is the type of app where it is irrelevant whether it is a shared app with W10, since nobody will ever bring a computer onto the course.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Shotly Golf is solid. Check it out.

Edit: ^^ wasn't aware Shotly stopped development. It seemed to work fine last summer.

Golflogix was OK. I used it a little, I just preferred Shotly, so I haven't used it much. Guess ill have to download it again, as I don't have Shotly on my new phone and I don't see it in the App Store anymore.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Shotly Golf is solid. Check it out.

Edit: ^^ wasn't aware Shotly stopped development. It seemed to work fine last summer.

Yeah, they gave up apparently. It was updated last May it says, but says "This app is no longer published" now. FreeCaddie seems to be there still, and was updated last June. I'll try that one out, since it's the only one I can find (the only other ones are 3 and 4 years old with 1 star reviews, including Golflogix which was last updated in 2011).

Last edited:

Pbear74

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It really sucks that they took it offline completely, I had all my round data on their site and now I cant access it. What a joke that they didn't even warn their users.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried FreeCaddie (the free one, not Pro), and while it's extremely basic, it did the job of telling me how far away I was from the hole. Sad that it's seemingly the only golf GPS app available. At least it keeps me from buying a watch. I'll probably get the Pro version of it.

Not sure if they will ever update it again (they haven't updated the Android and iOS versions in forever either), but they don't even have a link to the WP version on their website: Golf GPS - FreeCaddie

Why do companies make an app and then don't tell anyone?

Pbear74

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I just tried creating an account on FreeCaddie but I cant even do that. I guess we just have to come to grips that right now Windows Phone is not on any of these golf app's radar. Hopefully that changes.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just tried creating an account on FreeCaddie but I cant even do that. I guess we just have to come to grips that right now Windows Phone is not on any of these golf app's radar. Hopefully that changes.

I only downloaded the app, I don't remember creating any account. I don't see any login option in the app either.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought FreeCaddie Pro ($2.99) a few days ago, and created an account at freecaddie.com just now. Had no problems doing so, and in FreeCaddie Pro on the Icon my rounds were saved and I just uploaded them to my account.

I'm actually really happy with this app - the only problem (and it's a rather major one) is that it doesn't run in the background. I could use the lockscreen, but if I switched apps, the score from the round I was playing seemed to disappear. Other than that, it was solid and worked great, and if you just want an app to check the distance, it works great. I would think it wouldn't be hard to make it so it could keep the score even when in the background... here's hoping.

I'll still recommend it, with that caveat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs