Hi, I had android for 5 years and in the last months I moved to windows phone. Why there is no option to change the default keyboard?! It's so annoying that Microsoft block this option. This operating system need a huge update!! GDR1?? This stupid update give us a basic features that already exists on android and ios. Why Microsoft always 2 years behind.....
    08-10-2014 04:22 AM
    This is Windows Phone not android. Did you really think it'd do everything that android does?
    If you like android so much then you can leave Windows Phone Platform. Thanks.
    08-10-2014 04:27 AM
    The keyboard windows phone is pretty good. And they are always behind because iOS and android have a 2-3 year head start. Duh.
    08-10-2014 04:38 AM
    And haven't you tried swiping with the keyboard. Works exactly the same way.
    S Vaibhav, taymur and xandros9 like this.
    08-10-2014 04:39 AM
    Hi, I had android for 5 years and in the last months I moved to windows phone. Why there is no option to change the default keyboard?! It's so annoying that Microsoft block this option. This operating system need a huge update!! GDR1?? This stupid update give us a basic features that already exists on android and ios. Why Microsoft always 2 years behind.....
    What phone do you have and are you on 8.1?
    08-10-2014 04:51 AM
    What phone do you have and are you on 8.1?
    Lumia 1020 win 8.1 GDR1.
    The swipe option doesn't support my language.
    k72 likes this.
    08-10-2014 04:57 AM
    This is Windows Phone not android. Did you really think it'd do everything that android does?
    If you like android so much then you can leave Windows Phone Platform. Thanks.
    What a stupid answer... I want the best OS.
    k72 likes this.
    08-10-2014 04:58 AM
    What a stupid answer... I want the best OS.
    You were sayin' that WP is always 2 years behind than IOS/Android. Don't you know that WP is new in this race?

You were calling GDR1 a stupid update. Go research a little then come here and we'll talk. Don't expect GDR1, GDR2 and GDR3 to be BIG updates. WP 9 (possibly 8.2) will be a big update.

And lemme remind you that WP's keyboard holds the fastest keyboard in the world record.You're the first one to complain about WP keyboard.
    08-10-2014 05:10 AM
    I think it got beat

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-10-2014 05:14 AM
    I think it got beat

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Source?
    08-10-2014 06:19 AM
    Source?
    Sadly, Word flow lost to Fleksy, sometime in May I believe. Here's the LINK.
    08-10-2014 06:37 AM
    As of now iOS & android are stagnant cause they don't have much room to improve, whereas WP is already focusing on universal apps & as such has a lot more to offer.
    But, alas, only time will tell....
    08-10-2014 06:41 AM
    Sadly, Word flow lost to Fleksy, sometime in May I believe. Here's the LINK.
    Bad luck, Only 25 milliseconds difference :(
    Well, I take my words back.
    -------------
    For those who don't like opening links. :P

'Fernandes, a 16-year-old from Brazil, typed out a 25-word paragraph in 18.19 seconds on April 25 (with Fleksy App).The previous record was set in January by Gaurav Sharma, a 15-year-old from Seattle. Sharma texted the same paragraph in 18.44 seconds using Microsofts newest Windows Phone 8.1 software, with the lauded Word Flow keyboard.'
    Last edited by CrossIsHere; 08-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    08-10-2014 07:08 AM
    Lumia 1020 win 8.1 GDR1.
    What do you mean the swipe option doesn't support your language? What language do you use?
    If the keyboard support your language, then so does the swipe option, as the prediction and correction is independent on the input method.

Would like to also add, that I think WP keyboard is the best keyboard in all smartphones, Ive used them all. Swift key is one of the worst, as it is very very laggy.
    08-10-2014 07:21 AM
    Lumia 1020 win 8.1 GDR1.
    Ouch. You are gonna have to suggest this in: windowsphone.uservoice.com
    08-10-2014 07:22 AM
    You are at wrong platform.

WP isn't for everyone neither Android nor iOS.
    Everybody have different taste.
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-10-2014 09:12 AM
    WP Swype is pretty decent and such, specially when you're typing in english, it's not that great in portuguese though. I think the prediction is quite more accurate and contextual on swiftkey, that's why it's better than the native keyboards with swype technology on androids, it's not about swype the words, it's about the prediction and typing efficiency.

I changed from android to WP last month and by all means, everything changed smoothly and nicely. I've got all apps that I need and nothing is lacking. Also, WP has a better performance without all slow downs that android (samsung's version to be fair, motorola's android is more closer to pure android and has a way better performance). But I got to admit, Swiftkey is the thing I miss most about it and I hope that we'll have something like it on WP soon. It will make my WP transition completely satisfying.
    12-04-2014 06:32 AM
    What do you mean the swipe option doesn't support your language? What language do you use?
    If the keyboard support your language, then so does the swipe option, as the prediction and correction is independent on the input method.

Would like to also add, that I think WP keyboard is the best keyboard in all smartphones, Ive used them all. Swift key is one of the worst, as it is very very laggy.
    No, swipe isn't supported in all languages, in fact I think it's only supported on English keyboard. I have both Swedish and English keyboard on my phone, swipe works with English but not Swedish. I cannot even use speech to text as my language isn't supported. WP language support outside the big languages is horrible compared to Android.
    12-04-2014 07:48 AM
    Hang in there! These types of pains come about any time someone switches platforms, no matter which one you're switching from and to. There will be advantages and disadvantages. Learn to embrace the good to help compensate for the negative. You will find compromises; that's a part of life.

As far as the keyboard: that's actually one of my favorite parts of WP, at least since sliding was implemented. Of course I have an advantage there, since I use English (US). However, I detest any keyboard that does not have the sliding feature, which is why I hated WP's keyboard until it got the feature. On that basis I agree with you wholeheartedly since you don't have sliding available.
    12-04-2014 08:33 AM
    What is this nonsense about "Windows Phone isn't for everybody"? The whole premise behind Windows from the very beginning was to make the computer for "everybody". Customization with standardization of a gazillion things was what made it so popular and the world leader in the OS race.

They still maintained this when they were WAY ahead of Apple and Android with Windows Mobile. The reason Android became so popular all of a sudden was because Apple allowed for almost no customization and Windows abandoned WinMo for Windows Phone which also lacked customization capabilities. They threw out the extra buttons, API access to dozens of things, removable memory cards, and tons of customization, and left the power-users standing with nothing to customize.

Fast-forward to now. Android is caught up in it's own mess of fragmentation. The flagship phones such as the Galaxy are loaded with quirks. Mine jumps time zones and into military time occasionally among other things even though that's buried in the menus and not something I could easily accidentally change in my pocket a couple times a week. The memory card is now all but useless. You can't even edit a photo on the card with an editing app other than the native app. You can't move files around on the card except with the native app. Heck, most of the apps can only write to their own install folder so your data is spread all over the phone.

The bottom line is that there's a lot of us old MS junkies out here who have been using Android while patiently waiting for MS to do what MS is both capable of and known for - A user experience for everyone from my grandma to people who live to tweak their machines. And as Google continues to make their system even worse with every upgrade, and Win10 rolling out which should offer us a pretty seamless experience between all devices, we're getting anxious to come back. But until they get the customization back, we're stuck with Android.

When it comes to Swiftkey particularly, let me explain what is so great about it. First of all, the prediction is top rate. Often I can send a text to one daughter "Please make sure you take the dog out when you get home." and then text the other "What time do you go to work tonight?" and the only two letters I had to hit were "P" and "W". From there, based on my most frequent speech in both email and facebook, it knows that if I start a sentence with "Please", there is a high likelihood that "make" is next so it is up there in the suggestions with "call" and "go". This continues until the sentence is done. All I'm doing after the first letter is choosing words.

But that's not all. Suppose I'm typing a longer email or text and I get a few lines down and realize I want to make a change. My fat fingers almost never can land in the spot that I need. I end up trying to poke the spot I want to start typing in a dozen times before landing the cursor where I want it. In Swiftkey they have an option to add......cursor buttons. Isn't that crazy? Arrows that go up and down and left and right that let you move the cursor where you want on the screen? I mean WOW. What an ingenious concept. It's a shame that no one else has thought of it. You an also resize the keys for your fingers and you can elect to run with a full number bar across the top just like a normal keyboard. So if you type a lot of stuff that uses numbers like I do, you aren't forced back and forth constantly to changing screens to put numbers in and go back to text.

These really aren't fancy features we're looking for. Nothing that WinMo wasn't capable of doing. The problem is that after all these years, MS still doesn't see where they dropped the ball. Abandoning power users and killing WinMo for power users to launch a half-baked phone OS that didn't even have copy/paste in order to compete in the rapid growth "basic user" space which was already filling up with two others and users were getting locked into their ecosystems was just a bad idea. Those are the people who use their devices a lot less. Many buy for fashion or peer pressure and wouldn't use Windows if it cleaned their house for them.

To truly break through, MS needs to offer Android users a more stable and integrated experience with the same level or better of customization. They're on the right track, but if they don't do this, they'll never move back to being a top contender.
    k72 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-05-2015 04:39 AM