Best (free) weather app?

cherryME

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I use the bing weather app and lately I'm getting tired of the false prognoses for my region, mostly regarding the rainfalls. Also the background of the live tile shows the most of the time clouds, even if we have sunny hot summer weather.

So I'm asking you:
Which is the best or a good free weather app in your opinion? And why?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Vieather or Atmosphere Weather seem to be very accurate here in the UK. Nice Live Tiles too. A pity they don't have lockscreen support, but I can live without that for the time being....

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I like Accuweather too. It has a pretty nice lockscreen display. I hope they will update it sometime to add the new "MinuteCast" feature.

Asharon Baltazar

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can't say anything about how accurate the weather apps are in my region (Jerusalem) because most the time, the apps (Prognoza, Weather by Microsoft, and Blue Skies) show "Cloudy" and actually, not even one cloud is seen. But the most accurate is "Viether". That's maybe because of the Accuweather and Weather Channel sources it bases its predictions on. In terms of design: the metro language can be a little too bland (though our had a nice see through effect with the temperature), and the Live Tile doesn't have nice pictures, so it's okay. But I think you can forgive it, seeing how this is a full version app for free.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I had weather flow and amazing weather HD, but I always go back to Bing Weather.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
WeatherBug is chock full of good features, but the tile sucks. Blue Skies is cool too, but has some features you need $ for. Bing Weather needs to step it up. Accuweather has way too many ads.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Vieather is my current choice, though I only went to it after my number one choice was removed from the store.

I guess my only complaint about vieather is it doesn't let you control the frequency of refresh- just a tinge range in which it refreshes. One of these days I'm going to measure its affect on battery life...

I don't think it's free, sorry, but if you want a free forecast I suggest you go outside and look at the sky :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, MoWeather is free. It recently picked up an update, too. Not sure what the source of their weather data is, but it has been providing reliable weather information ~90% of the time. Not bad for a free app.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Same sentiments here on Bing Weather. But to answer your question, app quality and availability would depend on your location. If you're in the USA, chances are you'll benefit from Accuweather and SkyMotion for hyperlocal and "nowcasting" accuracy. Now, if you're outside the USA try looking for an app that uses your local country's weather service and hope that it's free. Finally, if you can't find all of those above, just like me where the local government hasn't made a WindowsPhone App for the weather service yet, you could try RealTimeWeather or WeatherBug as these claim to use the nearest local microweather station near you.

Personally, I like to have weather data from local and international sources - and from different international models (accuweather, GFS, openweathermap, wunderground, weatheronline). This way, I get a "broader perspective" of the potential weather conditions. As a result, I have 11 (used to be 8) weather apps pinned to my start screen (thanks to live folders they don't take up much space). Some of them aren't free, but here are the free ones you may want to look at:
1. Real Time Weather (pinned) - no auto tracking of location, but uses local weather stations
2. Weather To-Go (pinned) - provides good forecast and precipitation toast notifications
3. Accuweather.com - (pinned) -useful for a "second opinion" on weather conditions
4. Breez - (not pinned) the only forecast.io app in the market that's free!, but has an app launch bug
5. Umbrella 8 - (not pinned) also provides toast notifications
6. (Bing) Weather - (pinned) if you want a "third opinion"
7. Rain Alarm - (pinned) unfortunately, I couldn't test it in my location
8. WeatherBug - (not pinned) uses local weather stations, but data sources are less that Real Time Weather... readings are off by a few degrees due to the geographic distance of the nearest weather station it uses based on my location
9. MoWeather - (pinned) not sure where they get their data, but it has been pretty accurate

These are all free as of the time of this posting. I chose not to pin some of them because another app that uses the same weather data is already pinned. Try them all (I hope you have enough phone space) and see which ones are suitable for your location.

Edit: Weather To-Go is not free. The rest of the listed apps are still free.
Edit again: Current pinned weather apps: Appy Weather; Prognoza; Weathr; MoWeather; Weather To-Go; Real Time Weather.

Last edited:

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Accuweather and WeatherBug are the two best apps. I'm currently using both and will settle down after testing their accuracies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa