OPERA mini for Windows Phone Discussion

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never understood why Opera for Windows had such a low marketshare. It invented pretty much all the features people love about Firefox and Chrome. Be it tabbed browsing, password/history/favorites sync across devices, the first really usable Debugging Tools (DragonFly) and the most customizable settings I've ever seen (enter opera:config in the address bar). The latter is even working on the mobile browsers, which even lets you spoof a custom user agent. Damn sweet.
I don't like that they shifted away from their own engine though. Webkit sucks.

The last legacy version of desktop Opera for Windows (Opera 12.x) was so slow I thought I had dialup internet. I couldn't stand the slowness and got rid of it. It was slow without even having multiple tabs open. No other desktop Windows browser ran so slow on my PC.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The last legacy version of desktop Opera for Windows (Opera 12.x) was so slow I thought I had dialup internet. I couldn't stand the slowness and got rid of it. It was slow without even having multiple tabs open. No other desktop Windows browser ran so slow on my PC.

Hmm, have you tried to newly install it? I've ever seen Opera be anything but blazing fast. oO

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, have you tried to newly install it? I've ever seen Opera be anything but blazing fast. oO
I haven't installed the latest version of opera mini for pc
But the previous ones r not "blazing fast" ON my pc too
And my pc specs r quite decent

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't installed the latest version of opera mini for pc
But the previous ones r not "blazing fast" ON my pc too
And my pc specs r quite decent

There is no Opera Mini for PC. That's a mobile only browser. However, if Opera isn't fast on your computer, then there's definitely something wrong. It has never been slow for me, regardless of the version. Unlike the RAM hog that Firefox has become after 3.6. Horrible. Chrome is also fast, but consumes too much RAM imho too.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Opera was never faster than any other browser on my pc either. I ended up removing it. Now mini on my phone was a different story. I do hope it works well for WP.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
There is no Opera Mini for PC. That's a mobile only browser. However, if Opera isn't fast on your computer, then there's definitely something wrong. It has never been slow for me, regardless of the version. Unlike the RAM hog that Firefox has become after 3.6. Horrible. Chrome is also fast, but consumes too much RAM imho too.

I think chrome is one of the best browser for pc 💻
Much better than the IE nd Opera
But Opera is the best browser for Mobile Devices (Android,Symbian)
They should provide the same experience with wp version

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, here it is: Opera Mini browser - beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And it's not that good I'm afraid. All the buttons and stuff are so small, loading of web pages takes FOREVER and it's not that good looking. Opera Mini has never been my favorite, I like the regular Opera browser. The only thing this one does so much better than other browsers are the tabs. They are GREAT!

But it's a BETA..much can happen. If they fix the rendering and the slowness it might be usable. :)

Last edited:

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, here it is: Opera Mini browser - beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And it's not that good I'm afraid. All the buttons and stuff are so small, loading of web pages takes FOREVER and it's not that good looking. Opera Mini has never been my favorite, I like the regular Opera browser. The only thing this one does so much better than other browsers are the tabs. They are GREAT!

But it's a BETA..much can happen. If they fix the rendering and the slowness it might be usable. :)
Thanks for sharing the link with us. Did you get an e-mail notification from Opera or you found it in the store by yourself ?

Did not get email notification but able to download this beta :)
I'll give it a try now!
Even I didn't receive an email from Opera yet. Or maybe they are pushing out the mails slowly.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Didn't get an email with the link either, but was able to download it too. Looks pretty decent for a first beta imho. The first thing I tried was opera:config, and yay, it's working. :) Unfortunately many of the settings I loved are gone. It's rather basic now. Ah well..
Website loading is indeed very slow right now, but I think that's definitely being addressed soon. What I'm missing though is a way to change the default search enging (no f*cking way I'm gonna use Google!) and even more important a setting that can switch between desktop view and mobile view.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the link, and I agree. Its nothing special, but it is beta. I've never been a huge fan of Opera Mini, either. Wish we had Opera Mobile.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
[1] Interface is very good, feels like using Opera :)
[2] No Website Preference!
[3] Downloaded files are stored in app, it appears. Tried to find the downloaded file through Files app in my SD card, but could not find it.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I installed Opera Mini BETA on my Lumia 1320 running WP 8.1 with Cyan firmware. When I open the app crashes, I tried opening it again and once again it crashed. Seriously sucks ! I know its a BETA but common its not even opening ? Duuhhh....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster