09-18-2014 06:58 PM
108 123 ...
tools
    Today OPERA took all of us by surprise when they announced Opera Mini for Windows Phone. Its going to be a great addition to the Windows Phone store. After a long time we are seeing a highly anticipated app make its way into the store.

I have made this thread to discuss anything and everything about the app. Currently they have launched the BETA program and its going to kick off pretty soon. So go ahead and post all your views, queries and answers.

Opera Mini for Windows Phone - Opera Software
    09-03-2014 02:49 PM
    Honestly I think its an ok app,not required for me,IE is good for me and surfy is also much better
    09-03-2014 02:54 PM
    Yeah :-)
    Hope they launch it soon :-)
    09-03-2014 02:54 PM
    I think the reason why no one has received the download link even after completing the signup is probably because they have submitted the app and its up for certification. So once that's done they will release the BETA link to all.
    09-03-2014 03:04 PM
    yes we have great alternative like Surfy and UC. but it's good to see Opera showing their love for WP platform.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android
    wphashan likes this.
    09-03-2014 11:57 PM
    Is this based on trident engine? I hope not. I wish Microsoft opens its platform to other web engines.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-2014 12:02 AM
    Is this based on trident engine? I hope not. I wish Microsoft opens its platform to other web engines.
    There is a chance that it's not, because opera mini renders through cloud
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    09-04-2014 12:13 AM
    I feel the same, but thing is that Opera has performed lot better in other devices compared to the inbuilt browsers. So we are hoping that Opera for windows will be much better compared to UC or IE.
    D M C likes this.
    09-04-2014 12:22 AM
    ie s good n uc is great.. but yeah...if another good app is coming...why will anyone deny? waiting for the beta
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-2014 12:25 AM
    IE always better browser than anything else., sign up has done and expecting Opera Beta to hit the store soon, . It will be best competitive for the the other browsers in the store.,
    09-04-2014 12:30 AM
    IE isn't good in my phone.
    Many websites doesn't work properly.
    IE crashes very often on heavy websites.

I think Opera Mini will be better for my phone.
    &
    It will also improve battery life in browsing because processing not happen in phone.
    wphashan likes this.
    09-04-2014 12:57 AM
    Can't wait, might even try going back to the desktop browser again if it works pretty well (minus the beta problem which I can over look :) )
    09-04-2014 01:00 AM
    Firefox is the only browser who has ignored WP leaving aside Chrome (which is never going to come)
    I hope they look at Opera and get some inspiration to build a Firefox browser for WP.
    Tom Snyder and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-04-2014 02:33 AM
    Firefox is the only browser who has ignored WP leaving aside Chrome (which is never going to come)
    I hope they look at Opera and get some inspiration to build a Firefox browser for WP.

I'd definitely love Firefox for Windows Phone. I use Firefox on my PCs as the default browser, mainly because I also use Linux and like the sync features.
    09-04-2014 03:05 AM
    Your are also forgetting Dolphin.

Well it's not Firefox fault, it's solely MS.
    Because of WP restrictions no other browser can work on WP
    09-04-2014 05:30 AM
    Your are also forgetting Dolphin.

Well it's not Firefox fault, it's solely MS.
    Because of WP restrictions no other browser can work on WP
    This, Sir, is far from the truth. It used to be like that, yes. But things have changed in the meantime. Apps may now be build using C++, hence a very own browser engine, which is not build upon Trident, is absolutely possible. It's up to Mozilla, Google and whoever makes browsers, to port theirs over to WP.
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    09-04-2014 05:34 AM
    Suddenly MS removed all Fake Opera browser from the windows phone store
    09-04-2014 07:08 AM
    Yeah :-) MS is all set to welcome Opera Mini (y)
    API_Rock likes this.
    09-04-2014 07:20 AM
    Good move, was about time. Hopefully that's not the end. There are so many obvious fake apps in the store that should be removed alltogether with their devs, or their accounts respectively. Quality > quantity.

I'm wondering though what's taking Opera so long to publish the app. The fact that you had to subscribe using your Microsoft account indicates, that it's not going to be a public beta like Instagram or the likes. And private betas which require an invitation don't go the usual certification route, hence take about 2 hours from upload to published state.
    09-04-2014 07:23 AM
    I think Opera must have reported all the fake apps in the store and MS gladly did the cleaning. Without anyone reporting I don't think MS is going to take the pains on their own.
    09-04-2014 07:27 AM
    I would even like it if they would just wrap Trident with their own UI/functions.
    Don't know if using Blink would make such a difference compared to IE11 Trident, as it renders pages really well.
    09-04-2014 07:29 AM
    Opera told that it'll bring faster browsing in turbo mode by not changing the appearance of the sites. That's the main feature I want. I use UC, but some pages won't even load on speed mode, also appearance of the sites are also changed
    09-04-2014 07:36 AM
    Damn, I missed out on the beta! .. oh well...
    09-04-2014 11:41 AM
    Didn't use the Desktop Opera, but used it pretty much on my very old Nokia N82 (still have it) :P

Patiently waiting to test it.
    09-04-2014 12:50 PM
    This, Sir, is far from the truth. It used to be like that, yes. But things have changed in the meantime. Apps may now be build using C++, hence a very own browser engine, which is not build upon Trident, is absolutely possible. It's up to Mozilla, Google and whoever makes browsers, to port theirs over to WP.
    Then why their isn't a singe other browser which is not based on Trident??
    MS must have done something to stop.

Anyway
    I think it's more related to market share also.(2.5%)
    09-04-2014 12:55 PM
108 123 ...