Opera Mini Beta for WP Quick Guide

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
This is Opera Mini as you may obviously know with an old school UI and doesn't use the IE engine which is new for browser apps.

Tidbit 1: This is the Beta, in no way at all should one assume its going to be great. Opera in general is new to Windows Phone, so give them time, provide constructive criticism and point out the bugs to help them out!

Tidbit 2: Obviously you may have noticed google is plastered all over it. Doesn't have to be that way, just unpin what you don't want. To add a search engine such as bing.com or youtube.com, goto the main page of said website, press and hold on the search bar, a context menu will pop up just hit "Add search engine" (no you can't set default engines... yet).

Tidbit 3: Missing downloads? Don't sweat it! What happened is that the file downloaded to the browser itself. Open the menu and hit "Downloads". You should see it there, tap it to be able to save it to your phone directly.

Tidbit 4: For more configurable settings enter in your URL bar opera:config (Credit to dKp1977)

Tidbit 5: No you cannot play videos in the browser yet, use a different browser in the meantime or download them with opera when prompted and play them with Xbox Video app.

Btw, since it streams from the cloud, many ads will be automatically blocked upon streaming to your device. I saw it myself when binging for gba roms. And the way the ads were rendered out with the opera logo proved it doesn't use IE trident like other browsers, also hence the retro rendering on some websites.

Any questions feel free to ask in comments, to amend this guide for other tidbits, post a comment and ill add it in when I can. At the moment this guide is basically a FAQ for frustrated users that have no idea how to use the browser and don't bother researching how to do certain things and the like. So i saved people the trouble of looking by putting it up here. I have read through the comments on the new feed and compiled this quick quide based on said frustrations. Opera Mini gets updated every morning EST around 7-8 looks like, current version crashes for most users, but a few that it crashed on before started working. Looking forward to tomorrows update . I've got it installed on my Lumia 521 with PD 8.1.1

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually you can amend the default search engine and odd I tried long pressing on the search bar under bing.com to add as a search engine yet did not work for me. So I had to find a work around lol, http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-news-discussion/309773-opera-mini-browser-beta-windows-phone-now-available.html#post2757105

Edit: I reinstalled again and confirm it works, however now lost the ability to have bing as your default search engine o.0 as upon restart it defaults back to Google. About:Config or Config shuts down the app - so that is no a go (yet, if they enable that for users)

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Actually you can amend the default search engine and odd I tried long pressing on the search bar under bing.com to add as a search engine yet did not work for me. So I had to find a work around lol, http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-news-discussion/309773-opera-mini-browser-beta-windows-phone-now-available.html#post2757105

Edit: I reinstalled again and confirm it works, however now lost the ability to have bing as your default search engine o.0 as upon restart it defaults back to Google. About:Config or Config shuts down the app - so that is no a go (yet, if they enable that for users)

I'm aware of the search engine bit, when you exit and re enter the app it will set back to google. As for setting Bing, the search bar renders slightly below where it should be placed on the website, long press a bit lower it should work. I used Bing and Youtube as examples because i added them both as search engines on my opera app.

I'd post screenshots but i'm having issues with the wpcentral app at this moment.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be best to consolidate all findings into http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/308520-3.htm#post2757687 so everything is in one place as it looks like everyone is going to be experiencing different issues with this app. which be honest is looking more like a alpha or a nightly build to me. As app is now a non-starter on another re-install as it now crashes before even loading the T & S screen,

I'm aware of the search engine bit, when you exit and re enter the app it will set back to google. As for setting Bing, the search bar renders slightly below where it should be placed on the website, long press a bit lower it should work. I used Bing and Youtube as examples because i added them both as search engines on my opera app.

I'd post screenshots but i'm having issues with the wpcentral app at this moment.

I did test (via cold boot + soft reset) before posting the work around and bing.com did remain as the default search engine upon restart.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
These aren't really findings, it's just a quick guide for the average lazy user.
Yours is more of a discussion thread than a guide but feel free to link this to your thread ^^
Anyway here is why there may have been difficulty adding Bing, look where the search bar was rendered :p wp_ss_20140909_0003.png

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Lol, fair enough and I didn't take a screen shot of a search but it did render differently.. I can't take a screen shot now as the bloody app wont even load! :eck: instant crash on load...

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Lol, fair enough and I didn't take a screen shot of a search but it did render differently.. I can't take a screen shot now as the bloody app wont even load! :eck: instant crash on load...

All i did was install it to my phone (internal storage)
And as i've stated it's pretty much the cheapest supported lumia on the market with the latest software, if anybody should be having problems its me, but nope, clean as a whistle.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the app keeps crashing every time it loads, cannot even go to the main menu. I tried to uninstall - install, soft reset and still the same situation. Strange that the app start to crash in the moment i tried to set Bing on the dial menu...:eck:

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the app keeps crashing every time it loads, cannot even go to the main menu. I tried to uninstall - install, soft reset and still the same situation. Strange that the app start to crash in the moment i tried to set Bing on the dial menu...:eck:

So you tap the plus sign , type Bing add and then it crashes you?
Ill try that and see if it happens to me too.

Well i added bing to the quick dial with no trouble at all (painted over other dials - right of privacy :3)
wp_ss_20140909_0004.png

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Something to add to your list (nice tipps btw), since I believe many users aren't aware of it:

there's more configurable options to Opera (any version, not just Mini) accessible than those found in the bottom bar settings. Just type opera:config in the url bar. ;)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
All i did was install it to my phone (internal storage)
And as i've stated it's pretty much the cheapest supported lumia on the market with the latest software, if anybody should be having problems its me, but nope, clean as a whistle.

Well don't have that option on a 920 :p, unless they have shoved microsd card into the internals on the sly like the WP7 days :p.

This is how it rendered for me, so no change here after the update just it is definitely more stable.
wp_ss_20140912_0003.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers