The latest upgrade to Microsoft's Facebook WP app is terrible!

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
In classic Microsoft fashion, the app *took away* functionality.

Now, the news feed is a hot mess, seems to show 'most popular' rather than 'most recent' posts, with no option to change it, still no option to edit posts, and I've noticed that posts that comment on other photos or links, don't show those photos or links.

It's so bad, that social networking now on Windows Phone is outright garbage. Other than using the camera on my 1020 on occasion and for Mix Radio, my SIM card is now largely full time in a Moto X that I'd bought from an acquaintance.

lgva08

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
this upgrade is crap ..not update news sometimes and open some post int the internet exporer , i cant post images in the comments..

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this isn't helping to sell phones.

Facebook is probably the first app most new smartphone owners install and, if I experienced the hot mess that is the current Fb app while trialing a new Windows phone, it would be going right back to the store.

Microsoft are the ones that created the Facebook app for Windows phone, and it's critical it gets fixed, ASAP.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Facebook recently implemented new API's, especially around news, plus refuse to make an official version for Windows Phone.

Even I know that and I wouldn't touch FB for anything. less than $1,000,000,000.00USD tax free...

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Facebook is an essential app that requires periodic updates and MS has turned this to another mess. We have XBM, Video on our list of crap apps and Facebook is another app that may soon be as useless as those. Sad that, Facebook is not willing to launch their own FB app on WP :-(

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Essential to whom?

Not I.

FB turned its back on WP Community by only sucking up to Android/iOS.

Cry to them (FB), not Msft who is trying to give you what you want. Just because Msft authored it doesn't mean it isn't a 3rd party App with the accordant level of support priority.

I'd much rather Microsoft concentrate on Windows Phone and not useless (to me) FaceBook. I uninstall it first thing, every time anyway. Does your browser not work? Can you not access FB via browser?

Priorities. I got 'em. Microsoft has them. You have them. FaceBook has them. If your priorities are not Microsoft's, don't be shocked and alarmed. If Microsoft doesn't prioritize FaceBook as highly as FaceBook itself does, is there any wonder in that? They are separate entities.

Nathan Jo

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
All tech giants are relying on numbers. They don't take wp users into their count. Microsoft also releasing these kinda crap update to make sure the giants are right. No one ready to make product for users. Instead of that they create products to prove them in the industry.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Essential to whom?

Not I.

FB turned its back on WP Community by only sucking up to Android/iOS.

Cry to them (FB), not Msft who is trying to give you what you want. Just because Msft authored it doesn't mean it isn't a 3rd party App with the accordant level of support priority.

I'd much rather Microsoft concentrate on Windows Phone and not useless (to me) FaceBook. I uninstall it first thing, every time anyway. Does your browser not work? Can you not access FB via browser?

Priorities. I got 'em. Microsoft has them. You have them. FaceBook has them. If your priorities are not Microsoft's, don't be shocked and alarmed. If Microsoft doesn't prioritize FaceBook as highly as FaceBook itself does, is there any wonder in that? They are separate entities.

Hold on! Neither me nor anyone is Crying here. You should better get your tonality right here. Secondly, asking for updates is no crime and if we do then its good for the ecosystem. Fact is, MS has screwed up this app by eliminating some important features. They have to work on this app and have things right, at first place. If they can't, they should either remove this app from the store or sell its rights to some dedicated groups of devs who can make it to what it should be!
We all have browsers in our phones and we can use most of the stuffs through browser but wait, does that sound wise here? If you think yes then you should better buy a symbian phone and access everything through browser.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL tonality... (Good one, made me laugh.)

Fact is, Microsoft is doing you a favor by creating a FaceBook App in the first place. Any 3rd party Dev could supply one with some work and charge you for it where Microsoft gives it to you free... You got exactly what you paid for.

If FaceBook is so, whatever (indispensable, essential, a communication hub)... And they have not made an App for Windows Phone, then why should anyone else? Lobby a dev. But Microsoft is THE wrong company to demand an FB App from. They aren't FB and they don't own FB. They don't make money from FB. They put something out as a selling point, but OMG if FaceBook is your number one priority for choosing a phone and a mobile OS you have issues that no App will ever solve.

Perspective. I am tired of hearing how selfie, FaceBook, Twitter, Flipboard... name your poison... is MANDATORY FOR EVERY HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET. Or, the whole ecosystem is crap because it can't deliver me X. It's not VITAL. It doesn't affect function of the device. An App to replace a website is a convenience only, never an essential element until the browser is stripped out.

FB has 945,000,000 mobile users out of 6,000,000,000 cell phone subscribers... so 16%. That's not a majority. The social networking sites brainwash their users into believing how everyone has it, uses it, loves it... It's just a toy. A silly toy at that. I won't ever get upset because I can't read your Aunt Sussie's update that she cleaned out her cat boxes and gave snookums his flea dip. Promise.

Facebook Passes 1.23 Billion Monthly Active Users
World Has About 6 Billion Cell Phone Subscribers, According To U.N. Telecom Agency Report

And again... If it irks you so bad, use the browser until your App gets straightened out. I use my browser for plenty. I'm pointing out an alternative for those of you who might be driven bonkers from lack of access to your cult.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
MS is not doing a favor to us by developing those apps. Its simply a give and take relationship. If they make a good app and charge for it, I would definitely pay for it. So, let MS decide if they want to make it for free or want to charge for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monry

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there any recent info about Facebook making (or not) app for WP itself? I mean.. they released Messenger app after all so.. maybe we'll see main app as well?
And how about FB Beta from Microsoft? Is it any better?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
RumoredNow I have to agree with you in that I in no way see Facebook as an essential app whatsoever, nor do any of my family members, or for that matter close friends. I would say that most of the people that I know find Facebook to be a major waste of time and more of an invasion rather than adding anything into their lives. Really, who has the time. Some may have a Facebook account but almost never use it. Others have found it to be such a pain in the keester that they have just close their accounts. Like you it is one of the first things that I remove from a phone.

As such this idea that some have about not having a solid Facebook app being the reason that people won't get a windows phone doesn't cut it with me. The way I see it is that people don't get windows phones because a) they don't know anything about them, which is nothing but lack of marketing on Microsoft's part, and b) lack of availability, again easily solved by Microsoft selling directly.

I also agree that Microsoft is trying to fill the app gap for people where they have bumped into a refusal by larger entities to create apps for windows phone. Given that those same entities have the ability to keep changing back end API's etc. it can make it tough to try to stay on top of that. As someone stated Facebook has just made a recent change, perhaps Microsoft already had this update ready to push out when that was done. We don't know if they will have a timely fix at this point, but can you hold them to blame if someone else has changed the parameters of the game. I can see that there is a change in the way that Microsoft is trying to do things and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment instead of yelling like a petulant child who's not getting what they want.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a great idea.... Since 8.1 gives them the ability to update apps regulary... maybe they can just update the ME and People hubs/apps separately to keep up with the API changes and make those work like they use to in 8. I liked seeing my LIKES and replies on the ME tile... I like being able to skim WHATS NEW in the people hub and give things a quick LIKE and comment. I WANT THAT BACK instead of a CRAP APP like this facebook one.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
LOL tonality... (Good one, made me laugh.)

Fact is, Microsoft is doing you a favor by creating a FaceBook App in the first place.

And again... If it irks you so bad, use the browser until your App gets straightened out. I use my browser for plenty. I'm pointing out an alternative for those of you who might be driven bonkers from lack of access to your cult.

Microsoft is *doing us a favor*? That's laughable. I literally guffawed, out loud.

If Microsoft didn't provide a Facebook app for their "smartphone" OS, they'd have less than half of their current global 2.5% market share.

You ever try using Facebook using the mobile IE browser? It's so eye-gougingly awful, it looks like IE renders it to look like the old Symbian S60v5 UI.

*Symbian*

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is *doing us a favor*? That's laughable. I literally guffawed, out loud.

If Microsoft didn't provide a Facebook app for their "smartphone" OS, they'd have less than half of their current global 2.5% market share.

You ever try using Facebook using the mobile IE browser? It's so eye-gougingly awful, it looks like IE renders it to look like the old Symbian S60v5 UI.

*Symbian*

I guess you missed the part about me not using FaceBook... So, no, I've never tried it on IE mobile. Why would I? I'm not the one having withdrawal.

Show me a stat that says 50% of Windows Phone users are on FaceBook once a month. Or better yet, that 50% of WP users consider FB a make or break App for their whole mobile OS choice... You just pulled that number out of a stinky orifice and I defy you to back it up with some sort of link corroborating what you said.

And if FB makes their website render so poorly on mobile IE is that Microsoft's fault? Did they now write the FB website too?

Sounds to me like your precious FaceBook is against MY mobile OS choice. Even more reason for me to boycott them.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The facebook app sucks so much, it doesn't show a lot of posts. It annoys the hell out of all people I know.
For most people this is a reason to like WP a lot less. Trust me, I know. I recommended windows phones to females and they bring hell upon me when either Facebook or WhatsApp sucks. I had such a hard time keeping them on windows phone. I ended up putting a shortcut to the facebook website on their start screen, together with the facebook app because it shows pictures better. So two ways to access it. ******* ridiculous.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You can read complaints on every platform about people not getting their entire feed within the app. There's clearly a larger issue, there.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Going to ask everyone to tone it down, please. I understand there is true irratation that somehow this OS we use just can't get a few things right- one of them a simple, feature filled Facebook app. I find it reasonable. But there is very little to gain by attacking each others opinions on a thread.

Vent on the application. I am all onboard with that. But please do not vent on each other.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
By now, it also should be clear to all of us, that facebook in WP is horrible and it will never change.

Best option for us is that something else comes to take Facebook's place and our friends move to that. We just have to hope its not google+ because then we are SOL again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire