The latest upgrade to Microsoft's Facebook WP app is terrible!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not about me. It's about Microsoft and where they put their programming resources, what those programmers spend their time on.

Please explain why everybody just has to have FaceBook and it MUST be baked into the OS and made a priority for updates and maintenance...

Please explain how it is Microsoft's responsibility to provide an App gateway to a 3rd party service...

Please explain why the burden falls on Microsoft and NOT FaceBook... That's the one that really puzzles me... How FaceBook gets nothing but Love when they have shunned your mobile OS and treated you as if you were not a part of the FaceBook community. If you were as important to FaceBook as it is to you, would they not have authored an App for Windows Phone?

Please explain why the burden is on Microsoft to create and maintain a FaceBook App when even 3rd party developers are not doing so in large number...

Please explain why, if FaceBook is so "essential" the App store is not flooded with 3rd party Apps to fill the void...

If the answer is; "Because I want it," we've already seen that reason expounded upon quite vociferously.

Please address the answer in terms of Microsoft, not you or I or even FaceBook.

​WHY IS MICROSOFT ACCOUNTABLE for your FaceBook???

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

This one's easy. Allow me:

Answer: Forget about a premiere FB experience---without a *good* Facebook experience on Windows phones, even *fewer* customers will buy their devices. Sure, FB is a third party company, and it's really on them to provide an app, but what Microsoft knows, and you may not realize, is that, even in carrier stores, one of the first apps people load up and try, before they take a device home, is Facebook.

And if it sucks in the store, NO SALE.

That's why Microsoft created their own app. Facebook didn't provide one, and for Microsoft, it was untenable that they didn't have a native app.
It would be like shipping a phone without email, or a native music player on board.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...what Microsoft knows, and you may not realize, is that, even in carrier stores, one of the first apps people load up and try, before they take a device home, is Facebook...

That's why Microsoft created their own app. Facebook didn't provide one, and for Microsoft, it was untenable that they didn't have a native app.
It would be like shipping a phone without email, or a native music player on board.

I'm quite certain some people try out a FaceBook App first thing. Show me the stat that says how many... What drives your belief that FB is so prevalent that having the App decides purchase and OS use? You yourself are expressing how vitally urgent FB is to you... Why did the state of FB on Windows Phone not deter you from purchasing the phone you have and using this OS? If it was so darn "make or break" we wouldn't be having this conversation... You would follow FaceBook to where it provided you with official support.

No. It is not the same as email or native music player to the majority of users.

Again, you are confusing "I want" with "everyone must have." Show me the stat that demonstrated FaceBook App use comes close to the numbers for email clients or music players.

​You are arguing from your own desire, not any demonstrable facts.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite certain some people try out a FaceBook App first thing. Show me the stat that says how many... What drives your belief that FB is so prevalent that having the App decides purchase and OS use? You yourself are expressing how vitally urgent FB is to you... Why did the state of FB on Windows Phone not deter you from purchasing the phone you have and using this OS? If it was so darn "make or break" we wouldn't be having this conversation... You would follow FaceBook to where it provided you with official support.

No. It is not the same as email or native music player to the majority of users.

Again, you are confusing "I want" with "everyone must have." Show me the stat that demonstrated FaceBook App use comes close to the numbers for email clients or music players.

​You are arguing from your own desire, not any demonstrable facts.

Honestly, it isn't all that important to me as far as Windows Phone goes, because I also have devices from other platforms. I have a Lumia 1020 that's basically just a device I go to now for photo taking only, but when I try to use other applications, it's so subpar, I just go back to a Moto X or iPad.

As far as hard evidence, I don't have any, only anecdotal: I work, just seasonally/holidays, a 2nd job PT, at a major electronics chain, that also sells cell phones. I've spoken with customers, usually young, who right off the bat, do four things: try the front facing camera on phones and take selfies of themselves or groups of friends, try signing in to Facebook, try the texting/messaging function, and then try to play music, sometimes the native player, but mostly Pandora or Spotify.

Again, it's only anecdotal, but how those functions work, usually effects what they buy. Where I worked, they did carry a working Lumia 920 some time back, but nobody ever played with the demo, and it didn't lead to any sales, so management just took it off the display.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Youth is definitely a skewed segment as far as FB use... So especially if you were at a retailer in a mall it would definitely color the perception of the importance of the App...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It's not about me. It's about Microsoft and where they put their programming resources, what those programmers spend their time on.

Please explain why everybody just has to have FaceBook and it MUST be baked into the OS and made a priority for updates and maintenance...

Please explain how it is Microsoft's responsibility to provide an App gateway to a 3rd party service...

Please explain why the burden falls on Microsoft and NOT FaceBook... That's the one that really puzzles me... How FaceBook gets nothing but Love when they have shunned your mobile OS and treated you as if you were not a part of the FaceBook community. If you were as important to FaceBook as it is to you, would they not have authored an App for Windows Phone?

Please explain why the burden is on Microsoft to create and maintain a FaceBook App when even 3rd party developers are not doing so in large number...

Please explain why, if FaceBook is so "essential" the App store is not flooded with 3rd party Apps to fill the void...

If the answer is; "Because I want it," we've already seen that reason expounded upon quite vociferously.

I think it boils down to perception. Right or wrong, if WP didn't have a Facebook app at all, it would most definitely be a serious knock. Obviously a not a deal breaker for everyone. But for quite a few probably. And from there builds the perception that if WP couldn't get a Facebook app (regardless of who's fault it is), then who's to say they'll have any success getting other apps on board? Again, I'm not saying its entirely the picture or that its fair if it is. But that's the kind of perception not having a FB app at all can conjure up. With that being said, I give MS credit for stepping up and filling the void themselves. It's not perfect by any means. But its something.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I think it could be worse. It was recently in the news that FaceBook was the first non-Google Android app to hit 1 billion downloads. This would indicate that FaceBook is one of the most important apps in existence. WP having a marginally acceptable FaceBook app certainly doesn't help the platform grow.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This one's easy. Allow me:

Answer: Forget about a premiere FB experience---without a *good* Facebook experience on Windows phones, even *fewer* customers will buy their devices. Sure, FB is a third party company, and it's really on them to provide an app, but what Microsoft knows, and you may not realize, is that, even in carrier stores, one of the first apps people load up and try, before they take a device home, is Facebook.

And if it sucks in the store, NO SALE.

Don't think this is quite correct. This is like making Microsoft responsible for a Chase Bank app or any 3rd party app. It should be the responsibility of the 3rd party to make the app. In this case MS made one since FB wasn't making one as everyone put it, to help sell their phones.
Are they REQUIRED to make an app? No.
Did they do it to support their devices? Yes.
Did they set a dangerous precedent by making one? Yes.
Should they be on tap for all future versions? No, FB should.

Do all our discussions and complaints, here make any difference? Not a single one.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@tgp...

You seriously think having no FaceBook App would be worse than not having email? Employers better not require FaceBook for official communications regarding work. That's just ridiculous.

Look, I understand FB or Twitter or Instagram or whatever have their fan bases. Why those fans don't understand not everyone viewing that service as "indispensable" is baffling to me. Great, you like it, you use it; more power to you. But mandatory?

In what way is it indispensable? Please explain it to me. I quite seriously and literally do not understand. How is the rest of your comm device's function sacrificed without FaceBook? What does FaceBook DO that keeps your business/work/professional or personal life moving forward when nothing else can? Is there a person so important to you that you simply must communicate business or personal information with that is not reachable via voice call, VOIP, IM, SMS, etc., etc., ad nauseam?

FaceBook users are very fanatic. I get that. I've had them in my life, pressuring me to "get on FaceBook." I tried... I don't like it. It's invasive, obnoxious and condescending. It's also sneaky and manipulative if you read the recent reports in the media. I can't see anything "essential" about it from inside or outside...

​What do you GET out of FaceBook that you simply can not get any other way? Break it down for me like I'm stupid...

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the previous comments about it being perception. How would it look if WP is the only platform between itself, IOS, and Android that doesn't have a usable facebook app? Looking at their respective app stores, the IOS FB app has 2.8 million downloads and Android's FB has 21 million (!??!?), so what does it say about how important this app is?

The funny thing about all of this is how both anti-facebook and pro-facebook people are fanatic about their stances.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree that its FB that has dropped the ball on not providing a WP FB app. But, for some FB lovers MS is an easier target. Just let them vent and move on.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Apps, apps, apps are the reason why windows phone is failing

No, I dont think that is the reason for a majority of people. You realize how many +40 year old people who have smartphones, but rarely touch an App? WP isn't offering people a reason to leave their "ecosystem". People get invested, between Apps, tv/movie downloads and music. Its a big leap for some people.

People also just take what's popular or what their friends tell them too.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
@tgp...

You seriously think having no FaceBook App would be worse than not having email? Employers better not require FaceBook for official communications regarding work. That's just ridiculous.

Look, I understand FB or Twitter or Instagram or whatever have their fan bases. Why those fans don't understand not everyone viewing that service as "indispensable" is baffling to me. Great, you like it, you use it; more power to you. But mandatory?

In what way is it indispensable? Please explain it to me. I quite seriously and literally do not understand. How is the rest of your comm device's function sacrificed without FaceBook? What does FaceBook DO that keeps your business/work/professional or personal life moving forward when nothing else can? Is there a person so important to you that you simply must communicate business or personal information with that is not reachable via voice call, VOIP, IM, SMS, etc., etc., ad nauseam?

FaceBook users are very fanatic. I get that. I've had them in my life, pressuring me to "get on FaceBook." I tried... I don't like it. It's invasive, obnoxious and condescending. It's also sneaky and manipulative if you read the recent reports in the media. I can't see anything "essential" about it from inside or outside...

​What do you GET out of FaceBook that you simply can not get any other way? Break it down for me like I'm stupid...

I think most people who use Facebook aren't fanatics about it. But really do enjoy the social aspects that it can provide. Is it mandatory for everyone to have on their phone? No. Will the world stop turning without it? No. But its become a tool in how many communicate with one another. Some abuse it. Some use it for only negative stuff. Most people I know use it as one of the tools in keeping in touch with friends and family we may not be able to talk to or see every day. So maybe in some sense, it does hold some importance for some. At the end of the day, and I say this about all social media, its really what you decide to make it and use it for.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. I love how in this latest version it will say "Henry has commented on a topic" and then when you tap on it you get their profile. Way to provide no info that I actually want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786