Discussion: Best News Reader

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Since flipboard came out, and is surprisingly bad, lets discuss which news reader is the best so that we know which one to use. I'll start by stating the pros and cons of next gen reader, which I believe is the best news reader.

Pros: Smooth app (no lag), appealing, offline use, beautiful pin, lots of customization
cons: for some the main screen might be too simplistic

Be free to add on to or subtract from this.

Tina_Cheng

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
You can try Dailyaha, it flips with 3D effect and has content from 15 global regions. I think its a pretty nice featured news app, and free of charge.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Nextgen reader is the best(its paid but I have full version, as I downloaded it when it was free for sometime). Other one is magnify beta, its also a good one. Phonly is fine, but you can't use dark theme, as its available in pro version. Plash is also fine

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Magnify is the best news reader I've used on my Lumia. Period.

If you have a 512 MB RAM device you might need to disable some of the fancy animations to keep it running smoothly, but apart from that it is great.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Nextgen and Weave are my favourites, however - Weave has some issues on my 512mb device. It becomes unresponsive for a few seconds and then either crashes or freezes the phone. I think it has something to do with memory. I really prefer Weave's UI over that of Nexgen's.

Nextgen is amazingly fast at loading articles. The main page isn't too horrible. Could use a UI overhaul though. But you can pin a section (say, Technology) as a live tile and that is all that matters to me

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Weave, no question (full paid version here), I have been using it from Windows Phone 7, after trying a ton of different ones back when I first got WP

With all the new ones (and if you watch WPC, they sometimes become free for a day or so), I have tried at least 10-15 of the newer ones but, always come back to Weave. It's got it's minor issues but, over all, simple to use, easy to setup and gives the information I want when I need it....

Best is no question Weave unless you need something fancy with possible performance issues..

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Weave, was great until last update a couple of days ago. Now It becomes unresponsive and then either crashes or freezes the phone. When it comes back up it notifies of "something went wrong" asks to email, I agree, yet no email is ever sent. Not using it until this is fixed.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My two favorites are Nextgen Reader and Collector. NG is more text based, and Collector is more image based. Both are incredibly beautiful and functional.

pepcok

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
there is a nice feedly client - iNi reader, still a few bugs, but nice nevertheless. Can't post links yet, so search for it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon