Facebook metro gets republished again...

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Is this the same facebook app that would just randomly scroll when reading a large post so you'd never find it again?
Or is it the app that was so annoying to use it drove me to use the mobile version in the browser?
Oh yeah, they're both the same thing. The answer is "yes" by the way.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
With this, the guy who undiscovered the remnants of the old Xbox Music would be in a bit of trouble... but we let that one slide.

Um... no? If you're talking about the app that launches the native Music+Video app, it's not even remotely the same. With that, the Music+Video app was never removed, just hidden in favor of the Xbox Music app. Someone just released an app that simply launches it (probably using an URI scheme). He didn't download any code (because it's impossible since it's native) and republished it as his own. He wrote an simple but original app that requests the OS to launch the old Music+Video native app. There are a few ways of launching apps from another apps (including URI schemes) that makes stuff like launching gps apps or launching FB messenger from FB possible.

With this, the XAP, a package of compiled code was developed and generated by Microsoft and whoever this "dev" is published it. I doubt the dev even has access to the source code nor did he write any of it originally. Totally different scenarios.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I used to love this app, especially the pictures banner at the top, if they could add that back to the current version, but smaller that would be amazing.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to love this app, especially the pictures banner at the top, if they could add that back to the current version, but smaller that would be amazing.
Same here. A lot of the Windows Phone experience is integrating that Zune-like style into other services. This version of Facebook nailed it... then it got updated and just looks like any old Facebook app.

I'd love to see it updated to return the images banner.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Um... no? If you're talking about the app that launches the native Music+Video app, it's not even remotely the same. With that, the Music+Video app was never removed, just hidden in favor of the Xbox Music app. Someone just released an app that simply launches it (probably using an URI scheme). He didn't download any code (because it's impossible since it's native) and republished it as his own. He wrote an simple but original app that requests the OS to launch the old Music+Video native app. There are a few ways of launching apps from another apps (including URI schemes) that makes stuff like launching gps apps or launching FB messenger from FB possible.

With this, the XAP, a package of compiled code was developed and generated by Microsoft and whoever this "dev" is published it. I doubt the dev even has access to the source code nor did he write any of it originally. Totally different scenarios.

It's still plagiarism regardless of whether or not he actually had the source code. Publishing the XAP is similar to say, taking someone's essay in Word document format and submitting it as your own. It doesn't matter if you touched the code, republishing old software that was created by another entity is the offending action.

You are right though, they are different scenarios but they can also have similar consequences if someone decided to take action.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It's still plagiarism regardless of whether or not he actually had the source code. Publishing the XAP is similar to say, taking someone's essay in Word document format and submitting it as your own. It doesn't matter if you touched the code, republishing old software that was created by another entity is the offending action.

You are right though, they are different scenarios but they can also have similar consequences if someone decided to take action.

Of course it's plagiarism if someone publishes non original code whether they touched it or not. That's the point I'm making. But the Music+Videos scenario is not. It's a launcher app. Similar to any launcher or shortcut app that opens up specific settings and toggles. No one ever touches, duplicates, or redistributes the code for the Music+Videos app. A separate app just requests the OS to launch it. It's like when an app opens up IE. The closest it comes to any kind of infringement might come from using the same tile image if it's copyrighted or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb