Petition for YouTube app for WP

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
We have Metrotube and Mytube. I wouldn't beg Google to give me anything. Even if they make an app, all they are going to do is, sell me ads and sell my data away based on what videos I watch. I would rather have third party developers and Microsoft make that money than Google.

fadi dababneh1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
So here is the tutorial of how to download the official youtube app that was pulled by Google :
1-First of all you need to download :
(a) Windows phone SDK 8.1 there is a full version of it on microsoft site it offers you all the apps but we dont need all the apps so there is a lite version for the Windows phone SDK 8.1 which contains the apps needed you can download it HERE this is for windows phones with wp8.1
2- Now we need to have a developer account these are the steps to turn your account to a developer account :
(A) Register as a developer with App Studio it is free (Windows App Studio - Create free apps for Windows Phone, Surface tablets and PCs | Microsoft) we register by clicking the start new project.
(B) Sign-in with the same Microsoft account that is registered on the Windows Phone
(C)Agree to the access request
(D) Agree to the Windows Phone App Studio Agreement.
(E)Click Register
(F) you should be prompted with a request to select a template for your first application
(G) Press empty app and then click create
(H) Press the finish button then click generate and then they would ask you what do u want to generate you just leave it as it is and just press generate and wait till the process is over
When everything is over you now have a developer account

3- now extract the file WP8.1 SDK Tools Lite Setup Av1.00 to a folder and install it by opening InstallWP81SDKToolsLite.bat and let it install

4-now when the installation is over open windows phone developer registration and unlock your phone and press register make sure that your phone is not locked because it will not work . it will ask you to sign in so you used sign in with the email that you developer unlocked which should be the same email that you use on your phone. now you have a developer unlocked phone VERY IMPORTANT THAT DURING THIS PROCESS MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PHONE IS CONNECTED TO A WIFI NETWORK

5- now that you have a developer unlocked phone you can side load apps but you can only side load 2 apps by 2 apps i mean if you side load 2 app to your phone you cant side load anymore apps but when you uninstall one of the side loaded apps you can side load another app.

6- now download the youtube app HERE but make sure to donwload the nointrope (Youtube_NoInterop.xap ) version

7-now open windows phone application deployment and click browse and chose the youtube xap app you just downloaded make sure the target is set to device and click deploy

Here you go guys now you would have the youtube app on your phone . Have a wonderful time with it and feel free to ask me any questions.
Have a great day :D

Last edited:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've removed myself from using Google services, partly because of their immature attitude toward WP. The ONLY thing I miss is using my YT account to check my subscriptions, but even that it doesn't make me lose sleep. The best thing for you to do as an individual is hurt them on twitter, facebook, and other social media sites.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've removed myself from using Google services, partly because of their immature attitude toward WP.

That'll learn 'em! :amaze:

Looking at it realistically, do you realize that if every single WP user boycotted Google completely, it would barely register on their radar? The difference would be similar to a margin of error. I don't see this hurting Google. If WP had 10 times the market share it does, Google would notice. But then boycotting wouldn't be necessary, because if WP had 25% market share, Google would provide apps.

I don't use any Apple devices or services at the moment, but I'm deeply entrenched in both Microsoft and Google. I use Microsoft software, some Microsoft services, PCs, Windows Phones, Android phones, Android tablets, and some Google services. They all happily co-exist. I feel that if I would go all in with one of them and boycott the other, I would be the one suffering. Neither company excels at everything, but they both excel at certain things. I like to pick and choose. It's the best of both worlds!

Here is a list of the devices I own:

1 - HP Desktop PC with Windows 10 TP
2 - HP Laptops with Windows 8.1 (one is my wife's)
1 - HP Chromebook (wife's)
2 - Windows Phones (920 & 520)
3 - Android phones (Nexus 5, Moto X (wife's), Moto G)
2 - Android tablets (HP TouchPad (Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 3G (2012))
1 - HP TouchPad, dual boot WebOS & Android

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That'll learn 'em! :amaze:

Looking at it realistically, do you realize that if every single WP user boycotted Google completely, it would barely register on their radar?
I don't give two s**ts if it's not even a blip on the radar for google. The entire purpose is based on personal principles. And MINE is removing myself from an entity, or going against them, based on those principles. It may not matter to google, but it matters to me. If you just go with the flow, ignoring you feel is right, then have at it.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Based on the Sherman act of 1890, technically Google is violating United States antitrust laws: Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, or by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court."

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
App or not there defense has already been stated pretty much as its available to all via m.youtube.com. Like it or not. But we have great 3rd party apps.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't give two s**ts if it's not even a blip on the radar for google. The entire purpose is based on personal principles. And MINE is removing myself from an entity, or going against them, based on those principles. It may not matter to google, but it matters to me. If you just go with the flow, ignoring you feel is right, then have at it.

OK, your explanation makes sense. I can see how you would do this based on principle.

I still think that most users would do well to embrace both ecosystems. Take the strong points of each, and we all win. Staying away from one of them only hurts you, the end user. There are not enough people that do it to affect the targeted business.

Based on the Sherman act of 1890, technically Google is violating United States antitrust laws: Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, or by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court."

I would say that that's a personal opinion. What we're talking about here, YouTube, is available on WP. Google could probably block it from working at all on WP if they wanted. There are plenty of 3rd party apps, and it works in the browser. It's available.

And what about other companies that don't provide apps, like Facebook? Are they guilty as well? Most of us agree that the Facebook experience is less than optimal compared to Android & iOS.

And what about a company called Microsoft that does not provide a Skype app that works as well as on Android and iOS? Is Microsoft guilty? In fact, which of Microsoft's apps work as well on WP as they do on the other platforms? Should Microsoft go after Micr.... oh wait!

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I just don't get Google's thinking behind all this. Make an app' and that will generate income via ads. That or let Microsoft reintroduce their app', with ads this time, and everyone is happy.

Without Microsoft, Google would struggle to exist, if at all.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So here is the tutorial of how to download the official youtube app that was pulled by Google :
1-First of all you need to download :
(a) Windows phone SDK 8.1 there is a full version of it on microsoft site it offers you all the apps but we dont need all the apps so there is a lite version for the Windows phone SDK 8.1 which contains the apps needed you can download it HERE this is for windows phones with wp8.1
2- Now we need to have a developer account these are the steps to turn your account to a developer account :
(A) Register as a developer with App Studio it is free (Windows App Studio - Create free apps for Windows Phone, Surface tablets and PCs | Microsoft) we register by clicking the start new project.
(B) Sign-in with the same Microsoft account that is registered on the Windows Phone
(C)Agree to the access request
(D) Agree to the Windows Phone App Studio Agreement.
(E)Click Register
(F) you should be prompted with a request to select a template for your first application
(G) Press empty app and then click create
(H) Press the finish button then click generate and then they would ask you what do u want to generate you just leave it as it is and just press generate and wait till the process is over
When everything is over you now have a developer account

3- now extract the file WP8.1 SDK Tools Lite Setup Av1.00 to a folder and install it by opening InstallWP81SDKToolsLite.bat and let it install

4-now when the installation is over open windows phone developer registration and unlock your phone and press register make sure that your phone is not locked because it will not work . it will ask you to sign in so you used sign in with the email that you developer unlocked which should be the same email that you use on your phone. now you have a developer unlocked phone VERY IMPORTANT THAT DURING THIS PROCESS MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PHONE IS CONNECTED TO A WIFI NETWORK

5- now that you have a developer unlocked phone you can side load apps but you can only side load 2 apps by 2 apps i mean if you side load 2 app to your phone you cant side load anymore apps but when you uninstall one of the side loaded apps you can side load another app.

6- now download the youtube app HERE but make sure to donwload the nointrope (Youtube_NoInterop.xap ) version

7-now open windows phone application deployment and click browse and chose the youtube xap app you just downloaded make sure the target is set to device and click deploy

Here you go guys now you would have the youtube app on your phone . Have a wonderful time with it and feel free to ask me any questions.
Have a great day :D

There were 2 versions of the official yt app (before it was removed.) One was the app version, and the other was a mobile shortcut version that Microsoft downgraded from the app version right before it was pulled. Which version is the one in your instructions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb