[Opinions] Which Windows Phone apps need the most improvement?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Audible. I bookmark constantly, because the app will just start playing randomly, return to the beginning, or just lock up altogether in some way that even a phone restart wont cure. I have literally had to uninstall and reinstall the app to restore functionality. Android version was far superior and updated frequently.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft anymore does not give a damn with even those basic apps like music and video everyone here is fed. up off and even the Facebook app is poor. How can such a big organisation like this be so backward? people are getting over with their patience including me. I've always been a windows phone loyalist but i don't think i can remain anymore 😏

Totally Agree with you Pranshul !!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we have seen some negativity creep in lately. But, honestly, we are not a Microsoft owned site, so a thread or two to allow our users to vent is fairly healthy. Very few people would be posting on this forum if they didn't like WP as an OS. We all want to see it become the ecosystem it could be- an equal to iOS and Android, if not truly better.

So long as we keep this thread civil to each other, I see no reason to close it. As for the developers of this apps, the BEST thing that could happen was for them to read what their users say. Heck- there are rating systems in the store that just slam some of these apps, no one wants the rating system to go away.

There are THOUSANDS of great performing apps for our devices. No harm in pointing out the small % of apps that need help and that are needed to help the ecosystem grow.

Oh yeah.... and to vent.

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
This is so pathetic, do you guys really think its very easy to make an app for mobile?

@Pranshul Sood, since you started this thread, how about you make a decent app for WP, i'm not asking you to do a graphics intensive game but a decent app, may be a notepad with encryption or something useful. Its so easy to call applications pathetic or crap or all the nonsense you want but until and unless you can create something useful and contribute to the community you don't have right to call other applications crap.

All you people who complain that Microsoft or whatever developer is not doing a perfect job with their application, quit whining and do something about it. Either you create something to fill the Gap or replace the application, or just stop using the application.

No one reserves the right to complain about an application until and unless you buy it, when something is free, there is always strings attached to it.

Rahul1234

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
i was really planning on getting a windows phone just to check it out,but after this app issue(and a whole thread about it), i am not going to.

posted from my amazing blackberry 10.3 device.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i was really planning on getting a windows phone just to check it out,but after this app issue(and a whole thread about it), i am not going to.

the app thing is massively overhyped,(i have a L720 as my main phone)
btw hows BB10.3 leak? my 2nd phone is a Z10 and im thinking of installing 10.3 leak

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

This is the main reason why this thread doesn't contribute much to the WP community, now he is scared to choose WP just because few of the persons didn't like the way some applications behave... who knows Rahul would have not needed most of the applications listed in the thread and also he could have needed those apps to check basic things....

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
@Rahul1234 - Forget this thread and buy a low level WP Phone (525/530), use it and validate it for yourself. i'm happy with facebook app as i just check and post a few. most of the applications which people have complained are good in their basic needs.

people want the whole experience what they except on an browser or on other platform but dont understand that they need to spend money to get these developed. since WP user base is low, app developers are hesitating to put more money into the development of applications with frequent updates. FB has been getting its fare share of updates this year and so do other applications.

WP is also starting to grow slowly year on year, its always happy to grow with an ecosystem because you know what went through the system to make it more efficient. this could make you tech guy in your friend/family circle...

if switching from BB, it should be WP.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
NOW we are starting to descend into some personal attacks instead of pointing out app short comings.

I will rename the thread, simply because it is a very negative first impression. But please keep this subject on apps that we feel need help.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
This is so pathetic, do you guys really think its very easy to make an app for mobile?

@Pranshul Sood, since you started this thread, how about you make a decent app for WP, i'm not asking you to do a graphics intensive game but a decent app, may be a notepad with encryption or something useful. Its so easy to call applications pathetic or crap or all the nonsense you want but until and unless you can create something useful and contribute to the community you don't have right to call other applications crap.

All you people who complain that Microsoft or whatever developer is not doing a perfect job with their application, quit whining and do something about it. Either you create something to fill the Gap or replace the application, or just stop using the application.

No one reserves the right to complain about an application until and unless you buy it, when something is free, there is always strings attached to it.

I like the sentiment, but I have to disagree.

Race car drivers (I am generalizing here, but work with me) cannot design and build race cars, but they can certainly review cars and tell you if they are fast. The definition of fast is constantly a moving target, of course, so fast means faster, as in faster than their opponents cars on race day. Therefore, fast is a relative term, and used on a comparative basis. Fast means something different today than it did in 2010 or in 1950.

In the same way, app quality can be judged in a relative fashion. When I came to windows phone from android, I immediately noticed that the WP versions of some of my favorite apps were markedly inferior. I didn't have to build my own app to appreciate the difficulties of app creation, because there was already a benchmark - the application written for android greatly exceeded the WP version. I am not blaming the operating system here, but the experience. It doesn't matter to the end user why something isn't as good, but when it doesn't offer the same dependability or functionality, you don't have to be an app builder to notice and make a judgment.

I will give you an example. I play Words With Friends, by Zynga. Coming from the free Android version, the first thing I noticed was that I had to purchase the app. I am happy now that there are no ads, but at the time what I noticed was instability and a lack of functionality. The app didn't do as much and would often crash. Clearly Zynga had the resources to do better, but the app wasn't updated, even though the android version was regularly updated.

I rated the app poorly not because I had programmed other apps, but because I knew Zynga had the resources to do much much better. Finally, a few months ago, they offered an updated app that was completely rebuilt from the "ground up." The new app has restored most all of the features the android version offered and is speedy and much more stable. I now like the app, and can most certainly tell the difference.

IMHO, the main reason why people are disappointed with app quality on the WP platform is that the apps are not as well designed and are not regularly updated. If I am an app developer, u could certainly justify 40% of my development resources going to a platform with 40% of my user base and 2.5% going to a platform with 2.5% of my user base. I think that is what has happened to WP.

As such, the OP has made a good point. Maybe some developer will see their app mentioned in this thread and realize that they solved a certain problem on another platform and can quickly and simply apply the same fix to their WP port, and if so this thread served a great purpose. But even if all it does is create an outlet for a few rightfully unhappy users I think that can be cathartic.

I hope you understand that I am not devaluing the hard work of developers, but if the product isn't up to the quality of the same application on another platform, I don't believe you have to be a developer to have the right to say so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99