I noticed recently an update to kakaotalk changed the name of the app to 'KakaoTalk for WP7'.

Now I know why...

Hi KaTalkers,
    We are here to let you know about big changes in KakaoTalk for Windows Phone that will lead to a splitting of the app versions. The upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 has different specifications from earlier versions of Windows Phone OS. In light of this, we decided that two tailor-made versions of KakaoTalk would provide a better user experience.

And a great experience is what Kakao Team believes in most!

Therefore, for users with Windows Phone 7 and 8.0 will continue to use their versions of KakaoTalk as KakaoTalk for WP7. Those using Windows Phone 8.1 will need to download the new version of KakaoTalk.

Once again :)

heres an overview of the different versions:
    All Windows Phone users KakaoTalk apps will be changed/renamed as KakaoTalk for WP7.
    If you are using Windows 7 or 8, please continue to use this version.
    The soon-to-be-released version of KakaoTalk for Windows Phone 8.1 will be, simply, KakaoTalk.
    10-30-2014 08:18 AM
    I noticed recently an update to kakaotalk changed the name of the app to 'KakaoTalk for WP7'.

Now I know why...

Hi Ka’Talkers,
    We are here to let you know about big changes in KakaoTalk for Windows Phone that will lead to a splitting of the app versions. The upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 has different specifications from earlier versions of Windows Phone OS. In light of this, we decided that two tailor-made versions of KakaoTalk would provide a better user experience.

And a great experience is what Kakao Team believes in most!

Therefore, for users with Windows Phone 7 and 8.0 will continue to use their versions of KakaoTalk as “KakaoTalk for WP7.” Those using Windows Phone 8.1 will need to download the new version of KakaoTalk.

Once again :)

here’s an overview of the different versions:
    All Windows Phone users’ KakaoTalk apps will be changed/renamed as KakaoTalk for WP7.
    If you are using Windows 7 or 8, please continue to use this version.
    The soon-to-be-released version of KakaoTalk for Windows Phone 8.1 will be, simply, KakaoTalk.
    Yes, I noticed that as well. I was like I did not remember it being "for WP7". I am very excited to see this new release but wish they gave a date and not "soon"
    10-30-2014 10:51 AM
    Yes, I noticed that as well. I was like I did not remember it being "for WP7". I am very excited to see this new release but wish they gave a date and not "soon"
    It's today
    11-02-2014 06:51 PM
    Ok that's great news. Windows Phone 7 users can continue using the existing app and WP 8.1 users will get a new experience. Getting updates for official apps always feels good and refreshing. Thanks for the heads up !
    11-02-2014 09:24 PM
    Are they also planning on throwing out a Windows 8.1 version as well? That's the question a Windows Phone 8.1 release entails.
    11-02-2014 09:48 PM