The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-18-2015 02:47 PM
83 1234
tools
    I GOT THE ANSWER!

I've just made an account just to tell you guys! I was puzzled by the same problem, but I figured it out!

Go to your photo album and try to share a random photo via Whatsapp.
    Now the app "Whatsapp" is being openend from this perspective.
    First I saw a black screen with the word "Whatsapp" in the upper left corner, but then it said in the middle of the screen and using the Windows Phone dots which move from left to right: "Recovering".
    I've tried this once and I had hope, but then nothing happend. So I tried it a second time and it worked(!), the app opened and all my messages that I did not recieve in the past 24 hours, due to this weird problem you all describe, are all there and marked as unread!
    Plus the tile has it's normal colour again!

C'mon!

Greetings from a Windows Phone enthusiast from the Netherlands!

Alright, I have to admit, there are a few things that could be worth noticing!

1. My chats are in the right order, but the dates are incorrect for some of them. Some people who have contected me, lets say, three days ago, are listed as a date in october. But when you open the chat, the dates and times are correct. I already found out this can be fixed by just talking to those people so they move up in your list and the date will automatic adjust to the time you just send a message!
    2. I have found out that I used Whatsapp exactly one year on the day my tile went grey (7th of november)! But now, when I go to my account, it says I can use Whatsapp until 7th november 2015! Some of you suggested that it had nothing to do with the date when u used Whatsapp exactly one year, but I am pretty sure I used it for the first time in November 2013, coincidence?
    3. The final thing I've noticed is that when I open Whatsapp, I do not see the green Whatsapp background anymore for a short while. Is that common after the last update or do I now have an unstable Whatsapp application? If so, the solution is to archive all my chats (which I didn't lose) and reinstall the app. When I do, I will report back!
    Last edited by BarryBatsbak; 11-07-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    11-07-2014 05:47 PM
    I suffer the same issue this afternoon.... but I can solve it. Reinstalling app through the windows phone web... I have my Lumia synchronize with my Nokia account, I have to activate the location in my L920 and the first option in "Find my phone" settings. After, I can reinstall the app using the market of the windows phone web using my pc, if the store gives you an error (WP8 Error 8103010d), uninstall whatsapp without cancel the existing download.

Sorry for my english, I've a little forgotten.
    11-07-2014 06:02 PM
    I've tried that, but the download just did not want to start. Well, maybe you had more luck...
    11-07-2014 06:15 PM
    I suffer the same issue this afternoon.... but I can solve it. Reinstalling app through the windows phone web... I have my Lumia synchronize with my Nokia account, I have to activate the location in my L920 and the first option in "Find my phone" settings. After, I can reinstall the app using the market of the windows phone web using my pc, if the store gives you an error (WP8 Error 8103010d), uninstall whatsapp without cancel the existing download.

Sorry for my english, I've a little forgotten.
    So, what you are trying to say is that you started the download from the web to your phone. In the meanwhile you uninstalled whatsapp in the hopes of your new download would fix the problem? So actually you unistalled via your phone and then reinstalled the app via web?
    11-07-2014 06:19 PM
    So, what you are trying to say is that you started the download from the web to your phone. In the meanwhile you uninstalled whatsapp in the hopes of your new download would fix the problem? So actually you unistalled via your phone and then reinstalled the app via web?
    Yes, I tried to reinstall app via web connecting with phone, the download appeared in my phone store following the instruccions that I said before (activate location and the first option in Find my phone), but gave me the error 8103010d, so I went to app list and uninstall whatsapp, after that I can reinstall the app.
    11-07-2014 07:21 PM
    Same problem here.. waiting till it resolves itself. I think I'm one of those people that Whatsapp make test on very early as I received the "seen blue checks" feature a week before my friends and wondered what was it

[update]
    After 4 hours of nothing it got back to normal.
    Last edited by nanowareWP; 11-09-2014 at 03:42 AM.
    11-08-2014 04:46 PM
    Same here, the problem showed up three times for me that's so annoying.
    11-09-2014 07:07 AM
    I have the same problem. Whatsapp became greyed out and unavailable about 20 min ago... No messages asking to renew or whatever...
    11-09-2014 07:35 AM
    I think it goes like that when it doesn't have connection to the whatsapp servers or somethin like that.
    11-09-2014 12:52 PM
    I have the same problem. Whatsapp became greyed out and unavailable about 20 min ago... No messages asking to renew or whatever...
    Exactly the same in my case. Uninstall and then a clean installation helped.
    11-09-2014 02:40 PM
    I had the same issue with the msn weather app. So its probably an os issue.
    11-09-2014 03:10 PM
    The same problem happened to me. The tile greys out because there is an app backup going on the background (The backup option found in the settings of the phone and NOT of whatsapp). You just gotta be patient for it to finish backing up( and im guessing that depends on your WiFi/2G/3G/4G speed?).

Hope this helped.
    FourTonMantis likes this.
    11-12-2014 01:26 PM
    This issue is happening right now in my Nokia Lumia 822. Hope it fixes itself
    11-12-2014 01:46 PM
    Damn I was so scared. My WhatsApp also grayed out for about 8min and as I was typing here how to resolve issue (I read all comments) it worked again, I received message:)
    11-16-2014 04:20 AM
    The same problem happened to me. The tile greys out because there is an app backup going on the background (The backup option found in the settings of the phone and NOT of whatsapp). You just gotta be patient for it to finish backing up( and im guessing that depends on your WiFi/2G/3G/4G speed?).

Hope this helped.
    Mine wasn't working all night for over 8 hours. In the morning I checked, there was no backup going on. But, I clicked "backup now" in my phones apps backup settings and after about a minute it worked again. I don't know if that was the reason it started working again...
    11-19-2014 04:54 AM

Hope this helped.
    CORRECT!
    This was the reason for me too! I tested it and I can confirm that during phone backup the tile is grayed-out.
    11-19-2014 05:21 AM
    People please just calm down!! When the whatsapp tile is greyed out on your start screen all that simply means is that your device is performing a SYSTEM BACKUP!! When this is happening the whatsapp tile will automatically be greyed out. To test what I'm saying go to settings, back up, click app+settings, click back up now, when it starts click the windows capacitive key on your phone and see if the whatsapp tile isn't greyed out at that time. Whenever your phone does a system backup whatsapp is automatically disabled. Happened to me this morning as my whatsapp tile was also greyed out, so I went to the backup settings to check and saw my last backup was 23hrs ago and the whatsapp tile was disabled. Checked my phone again @ 07:30 and it now says last backup on Tuesday and today for me is now Wednesday @07:41.
    11-19-2014 05:44 AM
    I'm having the same problem just now. Whatsapp grayed out 15 hours ago.
    BarryBatsbak's tip didn't work for me.
    It's not a backup problem, as MiKs92 said: I have been connected to my WiFi for 8 hours.
    I cannot reinstall via web. Obviously, support doesn't answer.
    Now I'll wait 24 hours, then I'll try to uninstall/install again.

EDIT: When I'll be back home, I'll try to perform a new system backup as pedmar007 said.
    Last edited by giga84; 11-19-2014 at 07:12 AM.
    11-19-2014 07:01 AM
    Happened to me too(L720). And my cousin!(L820) Faced this issue twice last week. The first time around I headed to the app list to open whatsapp and it worked. After a restart did not work the second time, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Got to restore all my messages too. Even the ones that I received when it was grayed out.
    11-19-2014 10:40 PM
    I'm having the same problem just now. Whatsapp grayed out 15 hours ago.
    BarryBatsbak's tip didn't work for me.
    It's not a backup problem, as MiKs92 said: I have been connected to my WiFi for 8 hours.
    I cannot reinstall via web. Obviously, support doesn't answer.
    Now I'll wait 24 hours, then I'll try to uninstall/install again.

EDIT: When I'll be back home, I'll try to perform a new system backup as pedmar007 said.
    It seems to me that the latest preview for developers update had a backup bug. Mine always fails at 97 %. WhatsApp remains grayed out after it fails. So I have to start the backup again, hit cancel and then WhatsApp works.
    Can anyone confirm this issue?
    11-20-2014 04:56 AM
    I had this happen to me last week and I manually started another backup, then whatsapp started working again. Not sure if it was due to the backup or just time passing though
    CecileV likes this.
    11-22-2014 09:14 AM
    But does this mean WA conversations are now backed up to OneDrive? My recent experience seems to indicate so.

I recently sent my L925 to Nokia because I was experiencing freezes, and I received what I believe is a refurbished phone; at least the IMEI is different, and it appeared to have been wiped clean. I turned it on, went through the setup, restored my backup and sure enough all my WhatsApp conversations were there. So either the conversations are getting backed up online, or they replaced the mainboard in my phone and the WhatsApp user data somehow remained intact. The L925 doesn't have a SD card so that can't be it.
    11-22-2014 10:51 AM
    My whatsapp tile greyed out last night. After manually starting a backup, whatsapp started again. No messages were lost.
    11-23-2014 08:02 AM
    The issue is still here for me. Periodically my whatsapp tile stops working and i'm forced to uninstall the app.
    11-24-2014 12:10 PM
    It happened twice today to my WhatsApp and Messenger (Facebook), I just waited and they returned back. I think it has something to do with the Windows Phone 8.1 backup system. I was prompted to do backup and it all happened.
    anadi1984 and Alonzo26 like this.
    11-28-2014 10:17 AM
83 1234